New Honda Africa Twin 1st ride

The Things We Ride
africajim

New Honda Africa Twin 1st ride

Post by africajim »

I picked up my new Africa twin today, I'll try to be objective but obviously I will be biased!
Firstly, to look at, it is one of the sweetest looking bikes I've ever owned. The Tri-colour is stunning, especially in the sunlight!
Ridingwise, the bike feels and sounds like an old Africa twin but smoother and more power. It is amazing how Honda have captured the essence of the old Africa twin, a fine tribute.
On the road the bike has plenty of get up and go, I'm not at maximum thrash yet but can confirm the following, it does pull over the ton with the greatest of ease, it does wheelie, once you learn how to turn off the traction control! Handling feels very positive right up to the point of the tyres letting go. I found the traction control on highest setting was very sensitive but on the grit covered roads of the Highlands certainly stopped the back from stepping out on several occasions. The suspension is quite stiff being new but feels very plush, I'll run the bike for a few hundred miles to bed everything in before attempting to set the suspension up properly.
Offroad the traction control is very obtrusive, on the lowest setting it does allow the bike to slide the tail under control, quite handy once you trust the technology. I preferred to shut it off but will give it a try in the future. Plenty of travel in the suspension makes for a really excellent ride on and offroad, I really look forward to putting more miles on this bike, it's been everything I hoped for!
The computer showed 11 miles per litre at the end of my day, 125 miles on to the bike, ok a lot of offroad and mucking about so maybe the figures will improve as that's same as the Crosstourer, around 50mpg.
I'm running the seat in the high position as I feel it most comfortable on the knees. The brakes are spot on, two fingers on the front will pull it up to the ABS comes on. I also tried the ABS off when offroad, very handy, that and the traction control can be activated on the move from the left hand controls on the bars.
So, over all, the new Africa twin is all the hype says it is, well, in my mind any way! Here's a few pics from today, so many good ones, it was hard to choose! Enjoy!

Banff.jpg
Banff.jpg (166.76 KiB) Viewed 2643 times
beach_2016-01-23.jpg
beach_2016-01-23.jpg (185.34 KiB) Viewed 2643 times
hairpin.jpg
hairpin.jpg (194.93 KiB) Viewed 2643 times
Seals.jpg
Seals.jpg (196.36 KiB) Viewed 2643 times
Honda, the power of dreams.
africajim

Re: New Honda Africa Twin 1st ride

Post by africajim »

A few more photos!

water.jpg
water.jpg (213.96 KiB) Viewed 2643 times
wood02.jpg
wood02.jpg (297.94 KiB) Viewed 2643 times
wood01.jpg
wood01.jpg (230.69 KiB) Viewed 2643 times
Me_2016-01-23.jpg
Me_2016-01-23.jpg (187.03 KiB) Viewed 2643 times
Honda, the power of dreams.
KTMBLAG

Post by KTMBLAG »

That does look a sweet bike. Bit jealous
loudpedal

Post by loudpedal »

Many happy and safe miles on your new machine

I can hardly wait

Loudpedal
pikeymic

Post by pikeymic »

Nice one Jim enjoy
andy1105

Post by andy1105 »

Had a look at one today at wigan honda impressive looking bike &sounds good aswell enjoy your new bike (thumbs)
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

Great looking bike Jim, miles of smiles.

Don't let on to MotoAl it's arrived. :evil:
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
dubber68

Post by dubber68 »

You're a lucky fella Jim. I am finding it very hard to stay away from my savings. Daren't ride one or that would be it I suspect. Enjoy it mate.
I work to live. I live to ride. I ride to work, Ever felt like your going in circles.

Yamaha XT1200Z, Sertao, Herald 250, Xcountry & Vanvan

[IMG]http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj4 ... POINTS.jpg[/IMG
Trev

Post by Trev »

Thanks for posting, hope you continue to enjoy it for years to come (thumbs)
Love the colour scheme, in a couple of your pics it looks way to slim and lithe to be a 1000cc 'adventure' bikes, more like a 600, puts other great lumps to shame in the looks department. Still don't like the end can but easy change.
ahhhhhhh I am so tempted!
Hacknslash

Post by Hacknslash »

Great pic, looks a triffic bike Jim, can't wait to see it at a rally this year.

Ian

The Geek shall inherit the Earth.

Return to “BIKES”