Husqvarna 701 thread

The Things We Ride
Richard Simpson

Re: Husqvarna 701 thread

Post by Richard Simpson »

There's a brand-new one (last year's model) at Moto4/Gear4 in Market Deeping nr Peterborough for £1000 off list if anyone is interested...
Thedktor

Post by Thedktor »

Right, I'll copy this here as well, and it'll be the last I mention of the subject:

Husky 701 Review

This is for the pre 2017 version....

Up at KTM HQ for training we stripped an engine right down to its component parts and its very well made and solid, and would no doubt give long service. Two paper filters, two oil screens and a magnetic plug help the long service intervals, and a service is easy to do.

There is however a weakness on this engine, the rocker arm rollers, which have been known to fail. It was discussed briefly without really admitting it, but a suggestion that owners should not really run the engine at 70mph+ for hours on end.

Make of that what you will.... but it seems that replacing them after so many thousand miles is not a bad idea, but I have not looked into it further.

The standard-fit slipper clutch is an interesting device - designed funnily enough to "slip" if down-changes are too abrubt and hence reduce skidding, but it also works in the opposite way under load/acceleration and tightens up the clutch plates. This means lighter springs can be used and hence clutch pull is lighter. And it is light, a good design.

701_2017-04-18.jpg
701_2017-04-18.jpg (70.83 KiB) Viewed 2868 times
Anyway, never mind that whats it like to ride! In a word, fun. No, two words - great fun!

Weighing not much more that a DR350 but with twice the power (and more) the engine revs very freely and acceleration is really quick for a single. 70 comes up in a flash and is effortless to hold.

Smooth too, though I have not used one on a long run to see if any vibes intrude. At lower revs the fueling is perfect but it won't really chug along at very low revs like your average 650 single without the chain chattering. So there is a penalty to pay for all that peak power and light flywheel feel, but its not a big problem.

From the factory it is very quiet, and infact feels too refined, even dull dare I say, lacking in chracter. The optional Akropovic silencer helps overcome that - its not noisy by any means but adds some much needed tone and makes the engine feel crisper. But at 7-800 quid that is a whole-bike to me!

Interesting to compare the 701 to the XR650R which has a huge amount of low end grunt and intially feels more powerful, but the 701 easily revs higher with a definite top-end advantage. And it has an electric start, etc etc

Even more interesting to compare to the Italian made Husqvarna 610s - we had several well-sorted examples come through the 'shop and I must say they feel faster with more pull at lower/normal revs, yet still rev out. The 701 has more overall power of course but the 610 has an excellent engine, loads of character, and with a proper wide ratio 'box as well.

Back to the 701 and off-road its not too tall but feels fat and bulky compared to a DR/DRZ let alone a KTM-EXC. Its quite manageable for most conditions but the back end in particular is rather porky and perhaps a bit vulnerable if you drop it.

701enduro.jpg
701enduro.jpg (60.57 KiB) Viewed 2868 times

What about the supermoto? Oh, now, that is a fun bike - very, very fun :)

Feels tiny, the steering very responsive and the smooth tyres make the bike feel even more powerful. You can throw it around like a 125 but with decent A-road capability too, a fabulous toy.

And it is a toy really as the 701/690 sits in its own niche position where it does everything well but ironically doesn't excel at either road or off-road to make it stand out.

Off-road the enduro model would cope with pretty much anything but its a litte bulky and heavy compared to a typical 350-450, and on-road, though very capable, there are more practical and comfortable machines for a longer trip.

An appropriate moment to mention the seat - its not all-day comfortable, at all, and, anyone could pull the clip and steal it, along with your battery! What the hell?

When I first rode a 701 I thought this is the perfect bike! - must have one! But I would miss the more "enthusiastic" off-road riding you can do on a DR or DRZ for example, and my small(er) bikes cope quite happily at 60-70mph for the road miles I do anyway.

And of course the usual dilema of tyres - 70-odd horsepower fed through anything with half-decent off-road capabilty like a Maxxis IT would result in a lot of rubber left on the road and very short tyre life!

Be fun though eh, and I would definitely have one if money was no object.

And if I had a live-in tyre-fitter to keep replacing the shredded tyres....
- Steve

Southampton area

DR350, 349, DRZ, 701
beasty

Post by beasty »

Thedktor wrote:Right, I'll copy this here as well, and it'll be the last I mention of the subject:

Husky 701 Review

This is for the pre 2017 version....

Up at KTM HQ for training we stripped an engine right down to its component parts and its very well made and solid, and would no doubt give long service. Two paper filters, two oil screens and a magnetic plug help the long service intervals, and a service is easy to do.

There is however a weakness on this engine, the rocker arm rollers, which have been known to fail. It was discussed briefly without really admitting it, but a suggestion that owners should not really run the engine at 70mph+ for hours on end.

Make of that what you will.... but it seems that replacing them after so many thousand miles is not a bad idea, but I have not looked into it further.

The standard-fit slipper clutch is an interesting device - designed funnily enough to "slip" if down-changes are too abrubt and hence reduce skidding, but it also works in the opposite way under load/acceleration and tightens up the clutch plates. This means lighter springs can be used and hence clutch pull is lighter. And it is light, a good design.

701_2017-04-18.jpg
Anyway, never mind that whats it like to ride! In a word, fun. No, two words - great fun!

Weighing not much more that a DR350 but with twice the power (and more) the engine revs very freely and acceleration is really quick for a single. 70 comes up in a flash and is effortless to hold.

Smooth too, though I have not used one on a long run to see if any vibes intrude. At lower revs the fueling is perfect but it won't really chug along at very low revs like your average 650 single without the chain chattering. So there is a penalty to pay for all that peak power and light flywheel feel, but its not a big problem.

From the factory it is very quiet, and infact feels too refined, even dull dare I say, lacking in chracter. The optional Akropovic silencer helps overcome that - its not noisy by any means but adds some much needed tone and makes the engine feel crisper. But at 7-800 quid that is a whole-bike to me!

Interesting to compare the 701 to the XR650R which has a huge amount of low end grunt and intially feels more powerful, but the 701 easily revs higher with a definite top-end advantage. And it has an electric start, etc etc

Even more interesting to compare to the Italian made Husqvarna 610s - we had several well-sorted examples come through the 'shop and I must say they feel faster with more pull at lower/normal revs, yet still rev out. The 701 has more overall power of course but the 610 has an excellent engine, loads of character, and with a proper wide ratio 'box as well.

Back to the 701 and off-road its not too tall but feels fat and bulky compared to a DR/DRZ let alone a KTM-EXC. Its quite manageable for most conditions but the back end in particular is rather porky and perhaps a bit vulnerable if you drop it.

701enduro.jpg

What about the supermoto? Oh, now, that is a fun bike - very, very fun :)

Feels tiny, the steering very responsive and the smooth tyres make the bike feel even more powerful. You can throw it around like a 125 but with decent A-road capability too, a fabulous toy.

And it is a toy really as the 701/690 sits in its own niche position where it does everything well but ironically doesn't excel at either road or off-road to make it stand out.

Off-road the enduro model would cope with pretty much anything but its a litte bulky and heavy compared to a typical 350-450, and on-road, though very capable, there are more practical and comfortable machines for a longer trip.

An appropriate moment to mention the seat - its not all-day comfortable, at all, and, anyone could pull the clip and steal it, along with your battery! What the hell?

When I first rode a 701 I thought this is the perfect bike! - must have one! But I would miss the more "enthusiastic" off-road riding you can do on a DR or DRZ for example, and my small(er) bikes cope quite happily at 60-70mph for the road miles I do anyway.

And of course the usual dilema of tyres - 70-odd horsepower fed through anything with half-decent off-road capabilty like a Maxxis IT would result in a lot of rubber left on the road and very short tyre life!

Be fun though eh, and I would definitely have one if money was no object.

And if I had a live-in tyre-fitter to keep replacing the shredded tyres....

Exellent review makes me wonder why they keep developing this engine and not the bike it sits in.
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

I just fitted an Oberon clutch slave to my 701 and despite a thorough bleeding its not fully disengaging the clutch when I pull the lever in.
It feels good and smooth and the fluid level isnt going down so I think the seal is good and no leaks....its almost as if the new slave has a larger capacity than the original so is not moving as far for the same amount of fluid displacement from the master

Anyone encountered this?
Its a trick............get an Axe
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

You could try this (I've done it on a GasGas) but at your own risk

Slacken off the bolts securing the slave to the crankcase two or three turns, then pump the handlebar lever a few times to get the piston back in contact with the clutch mechanism. Then retighten the bolts.

Another thought...is the kit for the KTM, and does the Husky have a different master cylinder?
Richard Simpson Mark II

Did you get rid of yours, Steve...or do you still have it?
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

Rode a 701 briefly on a demo do in a snow covered Halfway forest on the standard TKC? rubber, amazed at the useability of the engine in large part because of the great fueling and the above mentioned fantastic clutch action, why can other manufacturers not manage F.I like that , the clutch too, although does that have issues. If it fits your purpose a fantastic weapon, probably overkill for many of us trailriders. Shame that KTM did not either make the orange one or the white one in to a tamed down adv bike aka PR7.
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:09 pm You could try this (I've done it on a GasGas) but at your own risk

Slacken off the bolts securing the slave to the crankcase two or three turns, then pump the handlebar lever a few times to get the piston back in contact with the clutch mechanism. Then retighten the bolts.

Another thought...is the kit for the KTM, and does the Husky have a different master cylinder?
Excellent tip, I'll try that.
I did order the one Oberon state is correct but I notice its the same unit as specced for the KTM690, so if they have different displacement master cylinders then that could be a factor
Its a trick............get an Axe
Cone

Post by Cone »

I'm about to sell my 701 if any one is interested
Richard Simpson Mark II

bikenav wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:37 pm Rode a 701 briefly on a demo do in a snow covered Halfway forest on the standard TKC? rubber, amazed at the useability of the engine in large part because of the great fueling and the above mentioned fantastic clutch action, why can other manufacturers not manage F.I like that , the clutch too, although does that have issues. If it fits your purpose a fantastic weapon, probably overkill for many of us trailriders. Shame that KTM did not either make the orange one or the white one in to a tamed down adv bike aka PR7.

Was that with Midwest Racing. I was there...and little did I know it, but my heart was playing up, badly!
STH70654.JPG
STH70654.JPG (136.54 KiB) Viewed 2144 times

Return to “BIKES”