Africa twin

The Things We Ride
rallymoto

Re: Africa twin

Post by rallymoto »

be nice to see this bike go around sweetlamb :-)
africajim

Post by africajim »

I've been told middle of January for mine, waiting patiently! LOl!
Honda, the power of dreams.
special one

Post by special one »

CRAIGREVO wrote:Cant see it being any good offroad. :ohmy:

Frickin hell that guy must have some top enduro skills, we ride that type of stuff on trials and enduro bikes and it's hard enough :ohmy:
That rider could probably do it on a gixxer :laugh:
Current bikes...

2003 KTM 950 adventure in silvery blue...

2013 KTM 450 exc-f in orange /white

2007 Scorpa SY250 trials in blue.
ZX Raziel

Post by ZX Raziel »

What is the name of the video please , as i cannot watch them on this site .
special one

Post by special one »

ZX Raziel wrote:What is the name of the video please , as i cannot watch them on this site .
I know it's so annoying, I quote the person then copy and paste the link in to safari.
Remove space between 2nd and 3rd w for link.

https://ww w.youtube.com/watch?v=dOed6Osrj4E
Current bikes...

2003 KTM 950 adventure in silvery blue...

2013 KTM 450 exc-f in orange /white

2007 Scorpa SY250 trials in blue.
ZX Raziel

Post by ZX Raziel »

Hope this works - The sound (thumbs)
Dazzer

Post by Dazzer »

sound just like my Transalp , Not bad for a none V Twin (thumbs)
Biker_Mike

Post by Biker_Mike »

special one wrote:
CRAIGREVO wrote:Cant see it being any good offroad. :ohmy:

Frickin hell that guy must have some top enduro skills, we ride that type of stuff on trials and enduro bikes and it's hard enough :ohmy:
That rider could probably do it on a gixxer :laugh:
I saw the making of this clip. It was not one flowing round. This clip was a very edited version.
moto al

Post by moto al »

Now that's nice (thumbs)
image_2016-01-08.jpeg
image_2016-01-08.jpeg (50.51 KiB) Viewed 1236 times
image_2016-01-08-2.jpeg
image_2016-01-08-2.jpeg (63.6 KiB) Viewed 1236 times
moto al
scutty

Post by scutty »

Quick test ride from Saturday - the bike had 3 miles on the clock, brand new tyres and it was wet so I was a little cautious. I am comm'd up to my buddy hence the chatter but no voice-over, just AT engine noise :)

[video width=425 height=344 type=youtube]EAAx47er7lM[/video]

My riding impressions:

Firstly a little background. I am 6'3" with a 34" leg and currently ride a 2014 KTM 690 which I've had for 12 months and done 7000 miles of mixed on/off road on and I have previously owned a 2014 BMW R1200GSA. The bike is a DCT model and, other than filling it with fuel, I am was the first rider. I am considering the AT as a replacement for the commuting and longer distance travel that my 690 currently does (with an idea of replacing the 690 with something lighter for local dirt rides etc). I was not expecting the AT to be a replacement for the 690 but it would be used on mixed surfaces including gravel/dirt roads and jeep tracks I find when travelling in Europe.

So, to the ride. After a lengthy explaination of the DCT system from the dealer (thanks to Heston @ Farnham Honda) I set off in sport mode 1 with TC on 3 and ABS on. At first it was a really strange feeling having the gears changing for me and no clutch (I don't know how many times I grabbed for the clutch lever at junctions!) but slowly I got used to it and realised I really didn't miss the normal gear change action. The DCT is SOOOO smooth changing gears that mostly it goes unnoticed. As you can see from the video, despite the weather and new tyres, I did give it a little trashing in places and the engine is capable and fun (if maybe not exciting - see later).
Ergonomics where pretty good with the standard seat in it's highest position but I would certainly choose the higher seat for a little more leg room. Reach to the bars was very good, nice and wide with a comfortable sweep and the mirrors are excellent with no vibration at all visible. I would need bar risers for standing but then I am 6'3" - YMMV. As I'm on the subject of height I can talk about the screen - I wear a Arai Tour X4 and I found it a little buzzy on the peak (no where near as bad as my old GSA original screen) and then only at 70+ mph. I am guessing that if you're a little shorter than me you will really like the screen - it certainly kept the worst of the weather off me (and the GoPro which was chest-mounted).
I think you can see how clear the dash is from the video and, once I had worked out what all the bits meant, it is very intuitive and easy to read. Having direct buttons for TC and ABS etc is way better than the endless menu system on my old GSA.
Ok - here's what I loved - the DCT in manual is brilliant, simply brilliant. I found it so easy to use that it was almost subconscious after about 30 minutes. I think you can even here me enjoying the manual mode in the last clip of the video. Also the bike looks great and sounds really good.

So - here's the crunch - will I be buying one? Well, I have been pondering this for 2 days now and I am still not sure. When I handed the keys back I was almost decided to order one, until I got back on my 690. There is something brilliant about the lightness and power of the 690 that is difficult to beat - if it had the new 690 Duke engine and the Nova Racing WR gearbox I don't think anything would come close but it doesn't and I am still unsure. I am waiting for a dry day and a more run-in bike then I'll take another test ride and see where the cards fall.

Return to “BIKES”