CCM450 VS AJP PR7

The Things We Ride
Penelope

Re: CCM450 VS AJP PR7

Post by Penelope »

Have you thought of adding in the Aprilia Tuareg 660. You may ask why!

I have owned and completed trips on both the CCM450 and the AJP PR7 and a good friend of mine has just purchased the Tuareg 660 which I have ridden a few times both on and off the tarmac up here in North Wales.

The CCM to me was great but for two downsides (from my perspective):-
- It was the wrong engine. It just felt too highly strung and even with modes to increase the oil capacity I still had a friends CCM 450 lunch its engine in Italy. If only they would have waited and put the SWM engine (same as PR7), in as per the Spitfires.
-Very difficult to work on. Trust me it was a real pain to get at anything, air filter and spark plug just for starters.

I have had my PR7 for a good two and half years and it has never let me down or failed to get up any trails I have thrown at it. Yes there are a few things you have to cope with (low throttle fueling in the tight stuff & could do with wide ratio gear box to drop first and up 5th and 6th). It is a cracking bike, but have a decision to make either:-
- spend the dosh on the new Athena ECU and wiring (same as 2022 bike), which I understand sorts the fueling and lift the engine response a bit. Even considering splitting the engine to insert the wide ration gearbox (that SWM should have built in the first place).
- Or find an alternative.

Well I have to say I have been shocked at the lack of apparent weight increase felt when riding the Tuareg over the PR7 (Approx 30-35Kg looking at specs). Why do I not feel this weight you may say? Well I guess its a combinations of things:-
- The seat height is lower and it makes my feel far more confident in the tricky stuff. I am 5'11 and can flat foot both sides.
-Fueling at low revs is excellent together with nice low first gear just trucks up anything.
-Better steering angle over the PR7.
-The suspension is top drawer Kayaba, not as much travel (240mm either end), but plenty enough if you are not rallying it.
And on the road is night and day over the PR7 (less vibes / more grunt & very flickable), has all the ride modes which you can adjust on the fly and cruise control all included.

So what I have decided to do is.... do nothing for the moment:). I am going to see how the reliability goes on the Aprilia and also see what accessories start to come out for the bike.

Well I hope this post helps someone and provide some perspective from an owner of both the CCM /PR7.

Over and out, Penelope
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Great post and very informative...how has the Aprilia buying/owning experience been for your friend?

Did you also consider the Yam T7?

I understand that Givi etc have aftermarket bits in development for the Aprilia.
Penelope

Post by Penelope »

Hi Richard,

Early days as it has just had its first service. One recall noted in that the Pirelli front tyre will be replaced under warranty, due to it causing some vibration. Others have reported oil weep due to faulty seal next to magneto also covered under warranty (as per other Aprilia's using same engine), that's about it.

I have not ridden the T7, but understand it:-
-feels top heavy compared to the Tuareg (Tuareg fuel tank goes under your backside) and understand higher / fatter seat so more tippy toe.
-Does not have the on the fly adjustability for Traction / ABS / engine breaking etc
- suspension is reported by many as OK for gentle trail riding, but needs upgrading if you want to push on.

I would recommend you do a demo ride to experience it first hand. Pretty much all dealers have one to try.

Would be interesting to here others feedback comparing these bikes as selfishly it will help me make a decision what to do!

Penelope
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Thanks...I'm wondering about changing my old KTM 950...trouble is, every time I ride a demo I think..."Ah, that's nice, crispy new bike feel"

Then I get back on the 950 and it's like a comfortable old pair of walking boots. It says "Come on old friend, you know I can carry you further, faster and in greater comfort than any of those modern things. Did I tell you about the time I won the Dakar Rally?"
Kelvyn

Post by Kelvyn »

CCM is probably out for me, not many about - but those who do have them are enthusiastic about them (I know 3 owners in the North East).
It's a shame they didn't continue the model.

CRF - I suspect will be too reliable and not exciting enough - underpowered and under suspended coming from the PR7

690 platform, is the most popular by far and not without its issues, and requires additional spending after purchase - but it's an itch I've got!

I hadn't considered the Tuareg - however, a quick look, its too heavy and too road orientated for my use - and its top dollar too.
I've no doubt it would do the majority of the work, and the road work/touring would be far more enjoyable - but the dry weight of 187, plus 18litres of fuel, makes it heavier than I'd like.

There are a few reasons for leaving the PR7- mostly around, having had one, done that - and the itch for something different.
Yet looking at it again in the garage as I walked past it, to the mountain bike - I really do like it, two years on and its time for a change. - arguably, as mentioned I could change the ECU/Wiring to the Athena set up - but it makes more sense to me to put that money towards a new bike (even if it ends up being a PR7).

Height wise - I find the PR7 to be fine, it has seat not as wide as KTM790, so doesn't push the hips apart as much.
Yes a few "niggles" with the fueling - filter inside the injector can become clogged, and the small lithium battery sometimes struggles - but mine has ALWAYS started, even if it does take a few goes.
Penelope

Post by Penelope »

Kelvyn,

As they say "don't judge a book by it's cover". Your take on the Tuareg was the same as me "Weight"! But had to eat my words, its now on my list after trying it out.

I would try and Demo it before you take it off your list. If anything the price is lower than a PR7, being offered now around £1,000 off list price.
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

I owned the GP450 but ditched it when I could no longer trust it’s reliability. It’s a massive shame that CCM ditched the concept and instead decided to appeal to the hipster marked instead. The 450 had massive shortcomings but with CCM’s continued interest it might have become a fantastic ADV bike.

I would sum up the GP450 as ‘unfulfilled expectations’ to be honest and consider myself lucky to manage to p/x it for a CB500X in the end as most traders wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole.
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

I rode a tuareg at the ABR fest, admittedly it was only on the road, but it struck me as a very manageable mid weight bike. Straight after I rode the yam T7, which seemed a big ‘ weight up high’ bike. The Tuareg felt the most manageable.

Return to “BIKES”