What's The Ideal Bike For This Trip?

The Things We Ride
boboneleg

Re: What's The Ideal Bike For This Trip?

Post by boboneleg »

Well Steven,

you know what I'm going to say don't you :laugh: Suzuki DR650SE

Having followed you for a week I'm sure you'll be fine on your GSA800, just don't take that Kawasaki with mousses in it ;)
one-legged adventurer
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

SteveW wrote:
Mike54 wrote:
Tonibe63 wrote:The Gs800 you've already got and spend your money on big bike offroad training.
Tyres will be your biggest decision but will be easier once you've got the confidence to use momentum.
*well apart from ruts :laugh: ;)
Some people never forget!
Hard to forget last Thursday, I'm not senile just yet :laugh: :laugh: ;)
pinball1008

Post by pinball1008 »

Use the GS (I think that's what you were going to do anyway :whistle: ) You can always reroute if it gets overly technical on the trails or you get heavy rain.
I would suggest you book tyres ahead, so you can get exactly what you want.
Not all those wandering are lost
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

pinball1008 wrote:Use the GS (I think that's what you were going to do anyway :whistle: ) You can always reroute if it gets overly technical on the trails or you get heavy rain.
I would suggest you book tyres ahead, so you can get exactly what you want.
I'll use Karoo3's and yes you're correct I'll pre-book a tyre change and service.
I'd really given the bike choice a lot of consideration. I wanted a low mileage bike, proven off road abilities with very good road manners.
I think the 800's just pip the 1200's, but plenty of folk would disagree. 85bhp is massively over powered off road and much more than I'll need on road.
If I already owned a DR650 I would be tempted to take it, but the road miles involved would swing me towards the 800 (Just). It's interesting reading folk's opinions, the GS800 together with the DR650 seem to be popular.
pinball1008

Post by pinball1008 »

I did the CDT on a DR650 and my mate has done the TAT on a DR and a DRZ. You can alter your route due to weather etc, but you can't make the seat comfortable enough on a DRZ and bareley on the DR.
It'll still be a trip to remember regardless of the bike choice. Good luck (thumbs)
Not all those wandering are lost
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

:whistle: need i say :whistle: then again my Donk threw you off i seem to remember :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Stick with your 800 Steve ,its yours , you know it and you like em (thumbs)
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

To be honest one of the plus points of this trip will be the novelty value of riding a British registered bike in the US, I can imagine it will be a conversation starter!

with the women "oh I love your accent, do you know the queen" mate if your already good off road and your happy to take the 800, me with my skill set would want something a lot lighter, as I would have to pick it up at least twice a day :whistle:

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

I'd still say a modified X-Country is the way to go. Look thought the X-Co topic on Adventure Rider and see what thy get up to with then in the US - where they're common as much and cheap as chips!

Have you seen DanielS's Mongolia topic - it's a direct comparison between the X-Co and an 800 GS.

Regs

Simon

PS Spud - when you're up for don't leave me behind. I've only just realised that the TAT begins in N.C. - one of my oldest and best friends lives in S.C and is always pressing me to visit here there - so we can start out with some o' that little ol' southern hospitality! (thumbs)
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

The Spanish Biker wrote:I'd still say a modified X-Country is the way to go. Look thought the X-Co topic on Adventure Rider and see what thy get up to with then in the US - where they're common as much and cheap as chips!

Have you seen DanielS's Mongolia topic - it's a direct comparison between the X-Co and an 800 GS.

Regs

Simon

PS Spud - when you're up for don't leave me behind. I've only just realised that the TAT begins in N.C. - one of my oldest and best friends lives in S.C and is always pressing me to visit here there - so we can start out with some o' that little ol' southern hospitality! (thumbs)
thought we had a date mate (thumbs)

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Elle

Post by Elle »

A few members here have done the TAT, did you search the forum?

I'd also suggest asking on a more american biased forum such as ADV Rider. If you do a TAT search, there's a lot of information and ride reports there, eg

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/t ... ip.344776/
living an ordinary life in a non-ordinary way

Return to “BIKES”