Best 125 for a big person?

The Things We Ride
Bryn

Best 125 for a big person?

Post by Bryn »

What's up all? I am going to start saving for my first bike after next month and I am wondering what the best bike 125 would be for a big person like myself?

I am 6'2 and weigh about 16 stone, so I know my options are limited if I don't want to look like a complete fool. I have been looking at the XL125 (Varadero) and have been very interested by them, are there others like the Varadero in the 125 category, or is it a one of a kind?
Toby

Re:Best 125 for a big person?

Post by Toby »

Hey there Bryn... I'm thinking that I like to reply to posts that aren't getting replies. Makes you feel better doesn't it even if it's a couple of words.

Don't really know about 125's much. I has an MZ 125 to start out with which as you may know is a two stroke and was described to me by one mechanic as the Lada of the motorcycling world. I didn't agree at the time and loved riding it when it finally started (very difficult to start when hot and then left a while).

All I can say is that there seems to be a concensus amoungst most motorcyclists I know that if you want reliability then Honda is always right up there. I don't think that I've ever heard a seriously bad report about a Honda, although no doubt there are one offs in terms of problems.

If you carry a few pouns then you'll probably want something with a bit of power as well to keep up with the traffic etc.

What's the deal with the XL125 you mention?

Toby
mr_magicfingers

Post by mr_magicfingers »

My girlfriend is 5'11, and we recently bought her a Honda Varadero 125. She prefers the more 'sat up' style of bike and this feels much more like a big bike than a 125. Seems to be popular with larger learner riders.

Might be worth a look.
Alun

Post by Alun »

Bryn, if you spent a bit more time in work and less on the road you'd have earned enough for a couple of Varaderos by now. What is it....4 days and then you're off cycling round Europe for as month? I'm jealous.
GOG 007

Post by GOG 007 »

Deffo a Vara, having said that what about a Jinlin, my friend did The Longest Day (www.thelongestday.org.uk) on a 125cc Jinlin, and apart from the electrics breaking down, no lights, and a cracked oil breather tube, (which was fixed with gaffer tape), he made it there and back. He brought it for 50 quid, and its now worth about 3p ! But if you want something that will hold its value get a Vara
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

Do your Direct Access instead.
We know to a redundent Tiger 895 you could use.:lol:
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
Bryn

Post by Bryn »

Looking like it's going to be a Varadero then! I've always liked the look of them though, i remember when i first saw one in the shop, it was like love at first sight :).

Well yeah Alun, that's why i can't buy a bike this month, too busy on my month long cycle tour of Europe, those Alpine passes you went up last week, we'll be doing on bicycles, i think i might die!

I wish i could do my direct access Treadtrader, i'm only 19 though so if i end up passing my test anytime soon i'll have to wait 2 years till i can ride a big bike!
LargeWayRound

Post by LargeWayRound »

As 125's Go , the Vara is a great choice .. biggest looking and holds its value well .. Has good road presence ..
Alun

Post by Alun »

Point of order - the Tiger is an 885. And far from being redundant the old girl with be making a comeback this week whilst I have a few dents sorted on the 955.

It can't be easy being 19 Bryn, I mean a month off cycling round Europe sounds like hell when you could be enjoying life sat at a desk buried in a computer screen.

Oh, and look after my MSR pocket rocket, I've some deeply emotional attachments to that camping stove.
AckAckFlack

Post by AckAckFlack »

Bought a varadero 125 and used it for commuting. Imam 6ft 4in and 16+ stone. It was perfect- so much so I bought a 1000 version soon after passing the DAS

Great bikes both of them and cover great number of miles in comfort.
BBRR - Big Bike Rough Road Riders Group

It's all about how big it is and how Rough you use it :-)

The journey aimed to challenge the perception of blindness…

Usually People call me Sir... closely followed by 'You are making a scene!'

Return to “BIKES”