ccm gp 450 happy day

The Things We Ride
Paul_C

Re: ccm gp 450 happy day

Post by Paul_C »

Just lowered my tickover and reset the TPS on the PCV.
For reference my "factory" tickover was 1950-2000 rpm. Minimum voltage 0.571 upper 4.00.
The bike managed a tickover down to 1650-1720, below that it wasn't happy, I found the adjuster to be VERY sensitive below 1700 too. Voltages after TPS procedure were 0.674 and 3.939.
The centre voltage sensor reading only ever reads 0.0 when not running.
If I've done it right it was straightforward. Ride report later.

EDIT.
I've been watching some videos and am seeing conflicting instructions to do the TPS reset. I used the instructions with the kit.
What I did was...
Up to running temperature.
Go to calibrate throttle.
Click reset (while on tickover)
Open throttle fully and close.
Click OK.
Was that right? Easy enough to do something else if needed
Just along for the ride.
Husqvarna 901 Norden. Husqvarna 701 Enduro. Moto Guzzi LeMans II.
TonyC

Post by TonyC »

On the money :)
KingRat

Post by KingRat »

I am humming and haaaring over the GP450. I love the build quality and sensible 'rally' additions to the Adventure - the soft luggage is a real bonus. BUT, I am unsure about the 450 Kymco motor (it isn't a BMW despite what it says on the cover).

The chassis and running gear I have no qualms about whatsoever, but the motor I do. I need a bike that can do high mileages on a daily basis too, as well as cope with the rough. From the Peak District down to Plymouth, Southampton or Brighton, then a day's work, then home again is not unusual. I am not sure the 450 would cope with that on a regular basis, or at least, the bike might but it wouldn't be very comfortable is what I mean - comparing to an 1150 Adventure, which I have done over 200,000 miles on over the last 13 years (2 bikes).

I have a 650 Xcountry at the moment and that is similar in concept, but not in execution. The 650 Rotax is a lovely motor, very easy to keep running but the bike is not as well built as the CCM, I know that, but the bigger capacity does make it less frenetic.

What are peoples' thoughts please? I haven't dismissed it, but bear in mind a motorcycle is not a luxury toy for me, it is a means of transport - I don't 'go for a ride' for fun, I do it every day to get to work, so I don't need to go and get a motorbike fix at the weekend. I also use my bike for accessing fishing in out of the way places. Camping weekends away fishing and that is why I want a bike capable of venturing down country tracks. I am not an accomplished off roader - a lane with grass up the middle is 'off road' to me.

Interested in sensible feedback please. I have found a couple of GP450s for sale that are within my budget, if I sell one of the bikes I have and stretch myself for 3 years.

Thanks, Simon.
drumbrakes

Post by drumbrakes »

KingRat wrote:I am humming and haaaring over the GP450. I love the build quality and sensible 'rally' additions to the Adventure - the soft luggage is a real bonus. BUT, I am unsure about the 450 Kymco motor (it isn't a BMW despite what it says on the cover).

The chassis and running gear I have no qualms about whatsoever, but the motor I do. I need a bike that can do high mileages on a daily basis too, as well as cope with the rough. From the Peak District down to Plymouth, Southampton or Brighton, then a day's work, then home again is not unusual. I am not sure the 450 would cope with that on a regular basis, or at least, the bike might but it wouldn't be very comfortable is what I mean - comparing to an 1150 Adventure, which I have done over 200,000 miles on over the last 13 years (2 bikes).

I have a 650 Xcountry at the moment and that is similar in concept, but not in execution. The 650 Rotax is a lovely motor, very easy to keep running but the bike is not as well built as the CCM, I know that, but the bigger capacity does make it less frenetic.

What are peoples' thoughts please? I haven't dismissed it, but bear in mind a motorcycle is not a luxury toy for me, it is a means of transport - I don't 'go for a ride' for fun, I do it every day to get to work, so I don't need to go and get a motorbike fix at the weekend. I also use my bike for accessing fishing in out of the way places. Camping weekends away fishing and that is why I want a bike capable of venturing down country tracks. I am not an accomplished off roader - a lane with grass up the middle is 'off road' to me.

Interested in sensible feedback please. I have found a couple of GP450s for sale that are within my budget, if I sell one of the bikes I have and stretch myself for 3 years.

Thanks, Simon.
I thought the engine was designed by BMW, and manufactured by Kymco?

However getting back to your main point. I love the GP450, and would like to recommend it, but for your description, it might not be the best option. but do take a test ride if you can, and decide for yourself.
I'm 6'2" if I was going to buy a GP450 for your purposes, mostly road with some light unsurfaced tracks, I personally would go for the lower suspension version, with the high seat. The lower seat height and reduced brake dive would be preferable.

In my view, the CCM is not a bike that enjoys dual-carriageway miles.
It Is entirely capable of doing them, but it makes them feel more mundane / boring than on some other bikes. The vibrations are more noticeable over long periods at constant speeds where you don't move around much.

Twisty B roads (or many of the A roads up here) where you are changing speed and direction frequently are a lot of fun and the bike excels in those conditions, giving a very engaging and excitable ride. It wants you to accelerate hard, and throw it round the corners.

I use a motorbike as my main transport, for commuting, supermarket trips, errands around town etc. I tend not to use the GP450 for that. My 650 V-strom is better for shopping (3 large hard Givi Panniers), for riding in strong winds (215kg) and on Motorways or in traffic.
The more boring character of the V-strom over the GP450 is actually better for mundane daily use.

The 650 V-twin doesn't have to be worked as hard to get the same rate of progress, and generally gives a more relaxing, buy less involving ride.

If you want to venture down a few tracks, a bike like the V-strom will do that too. It has basic suspension, limited ground clearance, and the oil filter stupidly unexposed at the front, but there's a choice of dual purpose tyres (Hedinau K60s for example) that will see you through mud and gravel easily enough.

The newer BMW g650gs single might be worth a look, or the tenere 660,
If you fancy something new, the Honda 500x or SWM super dual might suit?
KingRat

Post by KingRat »

Thank you for that very worthwhile ownership report. I am about inbetween your suggestion of the V-strom adventure thing and Tenere 660c at the moment with my very nice little 650 Xcountry. It isn't as off road orientated as the CCM, nor is it as well constructed, but it rides very nicely and is much lighter than the newer BMW650 version (156kgs with 52hp, the new version is nearer 190kgs!)

The answer might be to spend £500 on my bike and give it a decent set of forks (Yamaha 45mms for instance) and a Hyperpro rear shock, with a new set of wheels at 18" and 21" rather than the 17 / 19 - although to be honest, I doubt I am ever going to notice the difference in wheel size. I am just not a good enough, or hard enough rider.

There is no rush. It took me 3 years to make my mind up for the Xcountry. I won't ever be in a position to buy new, so whatever I get will only be someone else's hand-me-down.
byewayrider

Post by byewayrider »

Kingrat...strange name but ha hoo, anyway have you rear the huge adv thread on the x challenge and x country also walters threads about this brilliant bike....its miles ahead of the ccm when modified to folks specs for less money than a abused second hand gp450
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

KingRat,
You're not an "Off-roader" you say you may venture down a track with grass down the middle.
Unless you intend to do a lot more off Tarmac, with more riding in extreme conditions, I'd say the CCM 450 isn't the bike for you......but you kind of know that anyway.
It would be a waste of the CCM's obvious quality's to restrict it to long motorway trips and only the occasional rough road.
Chasbmw

Post by Chasbmw »

KingRat wrote:Thank you for that very worthwhile ownership report. I am about inbetween your suggestion of the V-strom adventure thing and Tenere 660c at the moment with my very nice little 650 Xcountry. It isn't as off road orientated as the CCM, nor is it as well constructed, but it rides very nicely and is much lighter than the newer BMW650 version (156kgs with 52hp, the new version is nearer 190kgs!)

The answer might be to spend £500 on my bike and give it a decent set of forks (Yamaha 45mms for instance) and a Hyperpro rear shock, with a new set of wheels at 18" and 21" rather than the 17 / 19 - although to be honest, I doubt I am ever going to notice the difference in wheel size. I am just not a good enough, or hard enough rider.

There is no rush. It took me 3 years to make my mind up for the Xcountry. I won't ever be in a position to buy new, so whatever I get will only be someone else's hand-me-down.
Chris Scott used a Hyperpro XCountry In Morocco last year and was highly impressed by the suspension.
I use my CCM mainly on road, there is a market for a lightweight low height, long range travel bike, which for me is a niche that the CCM fills. It's the only bike I've ever ridden that totally ignores the crap that I load it up with. 5000 miles last year and the company is sorting out the low speed running.
Richard Simpson

Post by Richard Simpson »

The 650 Rotax is a lovely motor, very easy to keep running...

but not, I think, used in your bike, which has a Kymoco engine.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

I think the comments about the CCM are spot on. I have done a bit of motorway work on mine and it is fine. I bought mine for commuting which for me is about 12 miles of twisty country roads followed by about five miles through the city, I also use it for trail riding in the peaks. One of the reasons I bought it was so I could do more trails further away as I don't have a car or a van and I found riding a 250 to Wales and back in a weekend a bit slow and a pain.
My son who is taller and less of a wuss than me has an xt 660 which he uses for trail riding, he also road with me to Austria and back this year and found it fine to do long motorway days on.
cheers Jak
'

Return to “BIKES”