Herald motorbikes

The Things We Ride
dubber68

Herald motorbikes

Post by dubber68 »

Well spent the day at the NEC today and apart from falling in love with the CCM I was also quite taken by the Herald motorcycles, particularly the scrambler type customs and they weren't silly money. Has anyone any experience of them and if so a review of them would be much appreciated. I am wary of chinese bikes but is this just a case of me living in the past? There is precious little in the interweb about them.
I work to live. I live to ride. I ride to work, Ever felt like your going in circles.

Yamaha XT1200Z, Sertao, Herald 250, Xcountry & Vanvan

[IMG]http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj4 ... POINTS.jpg[/IMG
dubber68

Re: Herald motorbikes

Post by dubber68 »

DSC_0021.JPG
DSC_0021.JPG (44.6 KiB) Viewed 2243 times
DSC_0015.JPG
DSC_0015.JPG (44.15 KiB) Viewed 2243 times
A few pics
I work to live. I live to ride. I ride to work, Ever felt like your going in circles.

dubber68

Post by dubber68 »

DSC_0020.JPG
DSC_0020.JPG (51.7 KiB) Viewed 2243 times
DSC_0017.JPG
DSC_0017.JPG (54.57 KiB) Viewed 2243 times

coyotedave

Post by coyotedave »

I had a good long chat with the guy on the stand. The engines they use are Suzuki GN 125 and 250. When they come over they change the rear springs, chain and sprockets and tyres and give them a good PDI. No problems in the last 12 months with the bikes they have sold. Could be just sales talk but I got a good feel about it.

You can mix and match to make a one off for your own liking, but the cost goes up to 5k, starting price is £1600 for the 125 and £2700 for the 250.

I think these are good value bikes with a good 70s Classic look.

Cheers Dave.
Richard Simpson

Post by Richard Simpson »

The blue & white one looks like a fake Triumph Tiger Cub!
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

Frames are very late 70's Suzuki. SP/DR 370
For a simple yet very efficient Frame & Engine that era was hard to beat.
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.
Big Red

Post by Big Red »

Does anyone know if or how much bigger the 250 is than the 125. I really like the lok of them. Wonder if they are going to do a 400
Mike101

Post by Mike101 »

I also had a very good look over them as they were next to the CCM stand tent thingy.

Yes they look a nice design and the price is good...but....and i'm going to sound like an old record here i do question thier ability to stand up to any UK weather.

Some parts look good while others such as the metal front mudguard look prone to chipping and eventual rust. The exhaust headers and tail pipe look rough and cheaply painted and this is often the first place to rust on chineese bikes.

With the above said i think they will make a very good weekend toy if used in the right weather. I am not bashing chineese bikes in any way as i do believe that in less than ten years they will match or even beat jap build quality in terms of metal used.

But for me i would spend the money on a 2nd jap bike that at this stage is a lot better than the majority of chineese bikes.

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

dubber68 wrote:
DSC_0017.JPG
If I made my own custom bike it would look like this. B)
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

With the above said i think they will make a very good weekend toy if used in the right weather. I am not bashing chinese bikes in any way as i do believe that in less than ten years they will match or even beat jap build quality in terms of metal used.
Kinda like the Enfield range, especially the Trials of a few years ago, a Sunday afternoon bike, 1-2K miles/annum ;-) Nothing wrong with that either, if that is what you want from a bike, we are all different.

I have doubts about the long term survival rates of some of the Chinese bikes, only time will tell....

Return to “BIKES”