The new AJP PR7 Adventure

The Things We Ride
chunky butt

Re: The new AJP PR7 Adventure

Post by chunky butt »

Looks great and very purposeful, like it......good to know how you get on with it, enjoy :D
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

Well i think this is the winner from my shortlist. I would be interested to see the difference between the standard bike and the one with the power up kit. I am not a massive fan of loud exhausts. Just got to try one out and look at the price of the luggage racks as well. :D :D :D
appleseed

Post by appleseed »

Mine has the power up kit installed (the standard pipe, ECU etc is in the loft)

I don't know how the "standard" version goes so cant offer a comparison. The non standard header (it's either stainless or maybe TI ) looks nicer than the standard version and the doma can is way prettier than the standard to and imo isn't too loud and sounds real nice. Also I always wear ear plugs when doing distance so it makes no real difference volume wise. I can only compare it to my xr650r with an FMF and it's probably quieter than the XR.

I have only had a chance to do a small excursion to Thetford which included about 60 miles on the A14 and it was happy sitting between 65 - 75 with no vibrations which is way better than my old XR. The tkc80 suck in mud but that's nothing new and we all know they a adequate on dry sand and tar. It would fly through the mud if it had knobblies on.

The suspension is great but maybe a bit soft for my 100 kg frame but I will get that sorted by torque at its first service. The would be applicable to any bike so not a negative point for me.

I rode a ktm690 once a few years ago and I would say it's at least (from memory) as good vibes wise but probably doesn't have the top end power of the 690 but i like the PR7 more (but I am probably a bit biased).

I personally think it's extremely well thought out and well built. The only annoyance is the tablet may not be as water resistant as I would hope but others don't seem to have an issue with it so it might just be my paranoia.

The rear top rack is "only" 70€ and the side ones are inexpensive too so .... Also there are some ok looking crashbars available for it and they cost me £155 shipped from Portugal. So stuff for it for it is what I consider affordable. Well the only "expensive" bit was the pivot pegz but that was because I got them from OZ so had to pay the HMRC their usual bride to let it in.

The biggest "issue" ATM is that there are only a few dealers in the UK but I am willing to risk it for what I believe is the unicorn I've been waiting for. The flip side is if you do the tet through Portugal there are a s..t load of dealers :)
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

Thanks for your report on the bike so far. I hope they havent just sprayed a mild steel header matt for the standard exhaust. I think i read somewhere that the power up kit added £1000 to the bikes price and about 12 bhp. I would have to buy the rack and pannier frames but i always use soft bags(i already have bags) so i would not need the hard panniers. I think Pamir did frames for both options. As well as Spain Portugal is often a destination on my trips so i would leave a bit of room in my panniers if i needed to pick up anything from the AJP dealers.
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

I really do like the look of these bikes.... ;)

waiting to see what the yam looks like

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
MotoCP

Post by MotoCP »

frenchy3 wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:42 am I think i read somewhere that the power up kit added £1000 to the bikes price and about 12 bhp.
Speaking to the importer Bob Allen at the NEC, he said the ‘power up kit’ costs £795 which takes the bike from 48 < 60 BHP.

I was hoping to get a ride on the demo bike at Sweet Lamb one day back in December but I didn’t go as apparently MCN needed the bike all day to test it for a feature.
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

MotoCP wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:13 am
frenchy3 wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:42 am I think i read somewhere that the power up kit added £1000 to the bikes price and about 12 bhp.
Speaking to the importer Bob Allen at the NEC, he said the ‘power up kit’ costs £795 which takes the bike from 48 < 60 BHP.

I was hoping to get a ride on the demo bike at Sweet Lamb one day back in December but I didn’t go as apparently MCN needed the bike all day to test it for a feature.
£795 :? :? :? sounds a bit more tempting,would i regret not getting it done. The Australian AJP forum members have reported an improvement by removing the standard exhaust can bung and opening up the other two holes in the air filter inlet to mimic the replacement power part. The ECU can compensate for these minor changes but a re-map would of course be preferable.
appleseed

Post by appleseed »

£795 sounds right for the power up kit as I recall the total being £9360 all in (Inc reg).

The standard header looks to be mild steel painted Matt black and incorporates the cat.
IMG-20181224-WA0011.jpeg
IMG-20181224-WA0011.jpeg (70.83 KiB) Viewed 5287 times
appleseed

Post by appleseed »

The upgraded header is so much prettier :)
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

I think the header in the power up kit is Titanium from a couple of reports i have read. The standard header looks poor in mat black,i can only imagine what that will look like after a couple of months. I will have to get selling my DRZ400 first though.

Return to “BIKES”