The Suzuki DR thread.

The Things We Ride
aliwakeskate

Re: The Suzuki DR thread.

Post by aliwakeskate »

BobH wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:58 am Guys, anyone had a rear wheel built for a DR650se? Looking at getting a replacement or re-lacing to a new rim. Still not sure if I should go for a 18". Any experience or sage words welcome.
Hi Bob,

You can get a new 17" rim and spokes from central wheels in Birmingham. They can also supply an 18" excel or SMPro rim and spokes. It's who I use to get my rims & spokes from. I had a quote off them the other week for an 18x2.5 excel rim and spokes for a DR650 and it's about £155 for the rim and about £80 for the stainless spokes (if that helps) - the same for the 17x2.5 rim.

Regarding 18" conversion, I laced an 18" to my tenere last year up from a 17" to see what it would be like. No noticeable difference to road handling. Off road, there is a very minor difference in that the bike seemed to track ever so slightly better. For what I do, I didn't really think it makes much difference between the 17 and 18 rim to be honest. The 18" rim is useful for more knarly green lanes as you can fit more off road focused rubber - but to be honest I tend to stick with the same tyre I used with the 17" set up (mitas E09). If you were thinking about rallying the 650 or taking it on more knarly tracks then the 18 seems a good idea as you can find a wider variety of enduro/off road tyres.
BobH

Post by BobH »

Hi Al,

Thanks for the info, will get in touch with them next week. I am probably going to stick with the 17" as the choice of tyre has not been an issue thus far.

Hope all is well, I hope to catch you up at the ABR meet in July if you are going. I am off again with Keith this year just to watch out of idle interest. We missed a few trails last year so hope to get them this year.

Best

Bob
aliwakeskate

Post by aliwakeskate »

BobH wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:41 pm Hi Al,

Thanks for the info, will get in touch with them next week. I am probably going to stick with the 17" as the choice of tyre has not been an issue thus far.

Hope all is well, I hope to catch you up at the ABR meet in July if you are going. I am off again with Keith this year just to watch out of idle interest. We missed a few trails last year so hope to get them this year.

Best

Bob
Ay, the 17" tyres I used to use are actually cheaper than the 18" ones as well.

Yep, I'll catch up with you at the ABR meet. Should be cracking this year!
The Sarge

Post by The Sarge »

aliwakeskate wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:30 am
BobH wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:58 am Guys, anyone had a rear wheel built for a DR650se? Looking at getting a replacement or re-lacing to a new rim. Still not sure if I should go for a 18". Any experience or sage words welcome.
Hi Bob,

You can get a new 17" rim and spokes from central wheels in Birmingham. They can also supply an 18" excel or SMPro rim and spokes. It's who I use to get my rims & spokes from. I had a quote off them the other week for an 18x2.5 excel rim and spokes for a DR650 and it's about £155 for the rim and about £80 for the stainless spokes (if that helps) - the same for the 17x2.5 rim.

Regarding 18" conversion, I laced an 18" to my tenere last year up from a 17" to see what it would be like. No noticeable difference to road handling. Off road, there is a very minor difference in that the bike seemed to track ever so slightly better. For what I do, I didn't really think it makes much difference between the 17 and 18 rim to be honest. The 18" rim is useful for more knarly green lanes as you can fit more off road focused rubber - but to be honest I tend to stick with the same tyre I used with the 17" set up (mitas E09). If you were thinking about rallying the 650 or taking it on more knarly tracks then the 18 seems a good idea as you can find a wider variety of enduro/off road tyres.

Al, I haven't forgotten about it, just been too busy to getting round to stripping the Donk down again, plus the wheels/spokes I have on the Donk at the moment seem too good to waste. I have to say the wheels you rebuilt for the 525 are the Muts Nuts though, I get asked about them whenever I park up :P
525.png
525.png (592.83 KiB) Viewed 3896 times
MudFing

Post by MudFing »

Girlfriend was missing her dr200 that we had to leave in Canada, so found the next best thing over here...couple of hours sorting the valves/camchain tensioner and she was doing this all afternoon! 8-) 8-)

SHarper

Post by SHarper »

4ABA5C15-4EDB-4347-8F5E-75BEB2EA5363.jpeg
4ABA5C15-4EDB-4347-8F5E-75BEB2EA5363.jpeg (133.15 KiB) Viewed 3457 times
Surprised no-ones brought this up. 2021 DRZ 650
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

I've seen it but it reckon it's just a concept , I doubt if it will go into prduction
one-legged adventurer
Coppice

Post by Coppice »

it looks like an un-official rendering that someone has done. I can't read the text under the front wheel
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Looks like a slightly late April Fools to me, alas, too good to be true.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
macvisual

Post by macvisual »

WOW - the photo of that DRZ650 looks utterly amazing - I'd be in the buying queue for one alright if it were being produced....!

Stunning looking machine.

mac
"Progress is not possible without deviation".

Frank Zappa

Return to “BIKES”