I have a dilemma . Help please

The Things We Ride
moto al

I have a dilemma . Help please

Post by moto al »

Hi chaps, Callum my son is 16 in September , he wants a scooter, jan my wife is dead against it, also I have my reservations , please help with your comments. Cheers al
image_2014-06-16-10.jpg
image_2014-06-16-10.jpg (26.94 KiB) Viewed 1590 times
moto al
Redmurty

Re: I have a dilemma . Help please

Post by Redmurty »

Did your parents have reservations ?

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

Is there a need for him to have one? I had one at 16 (TS50) but I needed it to get to college.

But I understand your dilemma. My wife wanted a bike for years. She did her test a couple of years ago and progressed from a Vara 125 to SV650. Then had an accident with a landrover (witnessed by me following) and was hospitalised for a few days. I wont let her have another bike even though she keeps nagging me.

Double standards, I aint quiting biking! Yep.

BUT. Having a bike at 16 that could only do 28mph made me learn the road and I think I am a more responsible rider / driver due to this. Been riding / driving for 20 years accident free (touch wood).....and off road accidents don't count.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

I'd buy him decent kit, get him taught to ride properly and deal with the abuse from my wife because if he really wants a bike he'll get one sooner or later and you might not be in such a good position to make sure he starts off the right way.

I'm lucky because my wife rides bikes herself so there was never any problem when my daughter started learning to ride but that didn't last long anyway because she was doing her CBT in early February and decided it was too cold for bikes and knocked it on the head.

My parents didn't want me on a motorbike even though my dad had one for years and my elder brother already had one because they thought I'd be an idiot on one but they relented in the end. After I had a big crash when I was 18 they offered to buy and insure a car for me if I stopped riding bikes but when that offer was knocked back they gave up because I'd have simply moved out if they tried to stop me riding.

Stopping your kids from doing things you do yourself is very hard to justify.
HarveyCamm

Post by HarveyCamm »

Both Lisa (Mrs) and I ride so we've said it would be next to impossible for us to deny our girls (aged 10 & 12) the opportunities when they're old enough. They both love riding pillion at the moment but that may change over the next few years. My parents were dead against me riding and Lisa's still don't know she rides - I'd sooner know and try to make sure my kids are as safe as they can be through advice and training than not knowing.
A scoot for college / work placement or whatever sounds like a responsible approach to moving into an adult life to me (thumbs)

Harv
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

You should have kept your trap shut on how much fun bikes are :laugh:

I wouldnt class a 50cc scooter as any more dangerous than a push bike in city traffic, get some on board communication & share your experience & skill on some rides.

Youre unlikely to stop him so you might as well train him. Pray for rain ;)
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
sohoeasy

Post by sohoeasy »

I had an NSU 12v 150cc when I was 16, made out of old thick warship metal. Never got hurt. Stuff would just bounce of it !
Soon as I got my Ducati 160 Monza I was straight over the bars and into a hedge.
A scooter is a good starting place. :)

Note : ebay's full of scooter outfits, how cool would that be at sixteen ? (thumbs) carry all your pets,dog in the side bird on the back ! ( I mean the budgie of course :unsure: )
eforde

Post by eforde »

Hi Al

Only you, your wife and son can solve this dilemma.

It is one of life's many dilemmas I look forward to, and I guess dread, having.

Ed
MarkN

Post by MarkN »

My parents weren't keen for me to have a bike and said I could have one when I was 17, I wasn't allowed a moped/scooter but was allowed to get a 125cc when I started my apprenticeship.

As there was no CBT then, I was also told I had to wear all the kit, all of the time and I had to sign up for my "Star Rider" course as soon as possible.

I'm now 46 and haven't been without a bike ever since.
motorbike

Post by motorbike »

Why not alan. That's how we got the bug...he can have a wee shot on my scooter.....sitting on the ferry now with a hangover 2hours from Spain. Cheers franko

Return to “BIKES”