what have you done to your bike today??

The Things We Ride
bill_qaz

Re: what have you done to your bike today??

Post by bill_qaz »

Took the scoot for mot
Passed no advisories :D
macvisual

Post by macvisual »

Took the Honda Silverwing scoot for it's MOT this morning, a healthy pass...!

mac
"Progress is not possible without deviation".

Frank Zappa
bill_qaz

Post by bill_qaz »

National scooter mot day :?: :lol: :lol:
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

After a bit of winter fettling - new C&S, greasing shock linkage, rebuilding wheels, caliper clean-up, oil, filters etc. - it was MoT time today for my '98 Africa Twin.
Bizarrely, as I was setting off for the MoT, the front cylinder cut out, so to and from the MoT shop was on my XRV375!
Fuel was getting through to the dead cylinder, so not a carb issue. The culprit turned out to be spark plugs. Both plugs renewed in the offending cylinder and it's back to it's old self, running fine.
Attachments
20210609_130537.jpg
20210609_130537.jpg (241.53 KiB) Viewed 1754 times
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings again today,

Actually it was yesterday, but on the same run I broke off my main number plate and James broke a spoke :o
number plate.jpeg
number plate.jpeg (233.6 KiB) Viewed 1701 times
spoke.jpeg
spoke.jpeg (108.89 KiB) Viewed 1701 times
TTFN

Hugh.
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

mark vb wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:58 pm After a bit of winter fettling - new C&S, greasing shock linkage, rebuilding wheels, caliper clean-up, oil, filters etc. - it was MoT time today for my '98 Africa Twin.
Bizarrely, as I was setting off for the MoT, the front cylinder cut out, so to and from the MoT shop was on my XRV375!
Fuel was getting through to the dead cylinder, so not a carb issue. The culprit turned out to be spark plugs. Both plugs renewed in the offending cylinder and it's back to it's old self, running fine.
Was it the front cylinder ? if so how much skin did you take off your knuckles on the radiator :mrgreen:

Nice work anyway 8-)
one-legged adventurer
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Odd for both plugs to fail?--do they run off the same coil pack?--almost sounds like a dodgy coil connection or signal to the coils for both to fail.
Billy Bananahead

Post by Billy Bananahead »

Must be a Honda V twin thing. I remember years ago as a despatch rider when i had my first VT500 i thought i would see how long it would take for the plugs to pack up and so i carried 4 spares in my top box for such an event.
So there i was one day, miles from anywhere and sure enough just ground to a halt, whipped out the old plugs, in with the new and away i went.
I think it was after about 23,000 miles if my memory serves me.
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

boboneleg wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:21 pm
mark vb wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:58 pm After a bit of winter fettling - new C&S, greasing shock linkage, rebuilding wheels, caliper clean-up, oil, filters etc. - it was MoT time today for my '98 Africa Twin.
Was it the front cylinder ? if so how much skin did you take off your knuckles on the radiator :mrgreen:

Nice work anyway 8-)
Yeah, it was the front cylinder. The offside plug is easy to get to, the nearside one however is a bit of a bugger. But my flexidrive plug spanner, as ever, worked a treat. It's a bit of an art not getting your knuckles scraped, but I seem to have mastered it after many years of AT ownership 🙂 Whoever designed the AT certainly didn't do it with ease of maintenance access in mind!
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

catcitrus wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:32 pm Odd for both plugs to fail?--do they run off the same coil pack?--almost sounds like a dodgy coil connection or signal to the coils for both to fail.
It is odd. Yes, the two plugs per cylinder run off a common coil. I can only imagine one plug failed a while ago, and then the second one failed last Friday, namely when the front cylinder went dead. I (wrongly) assumed that with two plugs, one at least would be working and therefore suspected the common denominator to both plugs - the coil - had failed. But when I checked it out it was showing all the correct resistances both with and without the plug caps. And a good 12.5v was getting to the coil's low voltage winding. As a bit if a long-shot, I renewed one plug and it fired-up without hesitation. I renewed the second plug on the offending cylinder as it too must have been faulty. As a precaution, I also renewed both plugs in the other (rear) cylinder in case they were to pack up in time, too.

Return to “BIKES”