what have you done to your bike today??

The Things We Ride
ErikGustav2

Re: what have you done to your bike today??

Post by ErikGustav2 »

New tyres on my Honda NX 400
IMG_20210127_115226.jpg
IMG_20210127_115226.jpg (329.32 KiB) Viewed 1119 times

Mitas E-07.
To have a good compromise for tarmac and gravel/dirt roads

IMG_20210226_141634.jpg
IMG_20210226_141634.jpg (225.24 KiB) Viewed 1119 times
IMG_20210304_080218.jpg
IMG_20210304_080218.jpg (255.3 KiB) Viewed 1119 times
bill_qaz

Post by bill_qaz »

Stripped and cleaned the carburettor due to mid throttle hesitation. Found curious green deposits in bowl and jet. Bike not used during lockdown although started a few times. I suspect this is due to ethanol in fuel as no dirt in fuel tap filter. Running ok now need to mot and ride it next month.
Worked on bikes for many years and never seen bright green deposits in carb.

Anyone found green residue in fuel system? :?: :idea:
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Ethanol = water = algae.

Even worse in bulk diesel tanks.
bill_qaz

Post by bill_qaz »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:22 pm Ethanol = water = algae.

Hi Richard I am very familiar with diesel bacteria after years in the technical side of the truck industry. It grows between the diesel and water but this was very different consistancy and colour. I have had water contamination in the crf trail bike but this was in my cbf road bike and the fuel showed no sign of water, in the tap filter or carburettor float chamber.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Yes I have seen a green tinge before, but not bright. I dose my fuel with the standard US " winterising" treatment of Seafoam, and this helps absorb water, neutralise ethanol, dissolve ethanol deposits etc. Available on fleabay and worth it to avoid carb deposit problems. If the idle passages on a jap carb get clogged they are virtually impossible to clean. You can soak and ultrasonic clean all you like but it doesn't work very well. Prevention is much better than any cure. Also I find that fuel injection bikes don't suffer in the same way--I guess thats because there is no quantity of fuel hanging around. nevertheless I Seafoam these as well.
bill_qaz

Post by bill_qaz »

catcitrus wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:05 pm Yes I have seen a green tinge before, but not bright. I dose my fuel with the standard US " winterising" treatment of Seafoam, and this helps absorb water, neutralise ethanol, dissolve ethanol deposits etc. Available on fleabay and worth it to avoid carb deposit problems. If the idle passages on a jap carb get clogged they are virtually impossible to clean. You can soak and ultrasonic clean all you like but it doesn't work very well. Prevention is much better than any cure. Also I find that fuel injection bikes don't suffer in the same way--I guess thats because there is no quantity of fuel hanging around. nevertheless I Seafoam these as well.
The idle jet and passage was fine as was the idle, it was some of the holes in the emulsion tube that were blocked, so idle OK high rpm OK flat spot going from one to the other.
The green tinge you have see was that before or after the seafoam use?
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Before--the US way is to drain the carb, inject neat Seafoam into the floatbowl with a syringe, turn it over a few times to get the Seafoam into the idle passages, leave overnight to soak, drain, use fresh fuel--and have a go at starting it etc.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

bill_qaz wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:19 pm
Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:22 pm Ethanol = water = algae.

Hi Richard I am very familiar with diesel bacteria after years in the technical side of the truck industry. It grows between the diesel and water but this was very different consistancy and colour. I have had water contamination in the crf trail bike but this was in my cbf road bike and the fuel showed no sign of water, in the tap filter or carburettor float chamber.

Verdigris from brass parts in the carb?
bill_qaz

Post by bill_qaz »

[/quote]

Verdigris from brass parts in the carb?
[/quote]

That's a good possibility Richard maybe reacted with some water residue, several of the emulsion tube cross drilling were blocked by it.
All good now., bit of a pain to have to remove carb and all the other bits to get to it, on the crf you can rotate it enough to take off the the float bowl and remove jets.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

In preparation for the Peaky Boulders LDT event I have had a go at making a road book holder. Just some 15mm copper pipe, sleeved 'P' clips, four turning knobs, two lengths of screwed rod and a butty box. It will slide onto the front nacelle of the Pampera and the Serow but how long will it last is the question? The only problem is that the distance recorder on the Pampera is as much use as fitting an ashtray but I might be able to use my mobile phone, if that fails I'll just follow the muddy tracks of the other bikes :lol:

TTFN

Hugh.
RB1.jpeg
RB1.jpeg (110.26 KiB) Viewed 866 times
RB2.jpeg
RB2.jpeg (103.96 KiB) Viewed 866 times

Return to “BIKES”