The 2014 bmw adv

The Things We Ride
The Wilbur

Re: The 2014 bmw adv

Post by The Wilbur »

cocker wrote:
macvisual wrote:I've a mate who rides a GS1200 Adv, I've known him to carry a couple of litres of engine oil with him on the likes of a 3 day bike trip..........doesn't inspire confidence. Imagine riding abroad for a few weeks or longer.........mega hassle.

My jap bike never ever needs that.
if he needs to carry 2 litres of oil for a 3 day trip then he needs to get that bike looked at
Said he carried it, not used it :whistle:
SUCK : SQUEEZE : BANG : BLOW

www.f650.co.uk
bond_yzf

Post by bond_yzf »

If you search for horror stories that's all you will read

the interweb is a scary place
Gareth 1979

The 2014 bmw adv

Post by Gareth 1979 »

I've got a 2010 GSA which I love. Best bike I've had since I passed my test 16 years ago.

I really like the look of the new GSA, the only issue I have with the liquid cooled GS is that the engine has been turned so that the clutch is at the front (initially sounds like a great idea). I just don't like the idea of another gear transmitting drive from the fly wheel to another shaft, through the engine to the gear box. In my opinion that's just another set of gears shafts and bearings that are wearing every time the bike is used.

However as I've said I really like the look of the new bike!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
PaulG

Post by PaulG »

Gareth - I can see where you are coming from. Time will tell about the reliability. Access to the new wet, multi-plate clutch will certainly be easier, less time consuming and therefore cheaper come renewal time.

Couple of pics of the new engine:

Front:
R1200GS-2013-Engine-15.jpg
R1200GS-2013-Engine-15.jpg (27.85 KiB) Viewed 1696 times
Side/rear:
R1200GS-2013-Engine-10.jpg
R1200GS-2013-Engine-10.jpg (28 KiB) Viewed 1696 times
Paul :)
cocker

Post by cocker »

The Wilbur wrote:
cocker wrote:
macvisual wrote:I've a mate who rides a GS1200 Adv, I've known him to carry a couple of litres of engine oil with him on the likes of a 3 day bike trip..........doesn't inspire confidence. Imagine riding abroad for a few weeks or longer.........mega hassle.

if he needs to carry 2 litres of oil for a 3 day trip then he needs to get that bike looked at
Said he carried it, not used it :whistle:
oh sorry i misinterpretated it, (which was quite easy to do) i don't carry anything ime not going to use, especially when i can buy it on route,
Tourider

Post by Tourider »

158.jpg
158.jpg (66.94 KiB) Viewed 1696 times
160.jpg
160.jpg (57.8 KiB) Viewed 1696 times
Mosel Bikes wrote:I'm running a sweep as to when they will fit tracks as o.e.
It looks more like a panzer tank with every incarnation :laugh:
Too late, they tried that years ago! :woohoo:
sidestand

Post by sidestand »

You've obviously never had a Mk2 Yamaha TDM 850 then :laugh: .......they use far more oil than a GS.

Anyway, the older & more run-in a GS becomes, the less oil it uses - last big trip I did on mine, it was less than half a litre in 3500 miles B)
Bernard Smith

Post by Bernard Smith »

I say up front I'm not hugely knowledgeable about GS12s etc.

But I'm curious.

If I had a bike that burned oil (I assume that it's not leaking) I'd be thinking the engine was on the way to being buggered and needed either/or barrels and rings. After all, oil is not supposed to be burned - compression etc.

By several posts on this string people just seem to accept it is part of ownership?

Really?

Are they machined that bad?

Reader’s Digest on TOUCHING THE WORLD - “…rueful, irreverent, always incredibly vivid, unfailingly honest, a powerful love story in a book crammed with astonishing achievements.”

http://www.worldtour.org.uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews ... wpoints=1/
Don1960

Post by Don1960 »

With Touratech holders you carry spare petrol and oil not because you need it but because you can. If anything to be prepared to be able to help out others in need ...
johnnyboxer

The 2014 bmw adv

Post by johnnyboxer »

Bernard Smith wrote:I say up front I'm not hugely knowledgeable about GS12s etc.

But I'm curious.

If I had a bike that burned oil (I assume that it's not leaking) I'd be thinking the engine was on the way to being buggered and needed either/or barrels and rings. After all, oil is not supposed to be burned - compression etc.

By several posts on this string people just seem to accept it is part of ownership?

Really?

Are they machined that bad?
Have you tried the new Fireblade, some reckon 1l per 1000 miles is ok
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like

Return to “BIKES”