Flat-Tracker, Street-Scrambler, Custom-Bobber. Why Retro is the future (for adventure biking).

The Things We Ride
Sprockette

Re: Flat-Tracker, Street-Scrambler, Custom-Bobber. Why Retro is the future (for adventure biking).

Post by Sprockette »

Willandkate wrote:Don't you feel it when you look at these photos?

*picture snip*

Nowadays even with the assistance of photoshop and CGI, the best they can come up with is about as soul stirring as a luke warm cuppa soup
I completely agree with you there, I don't know which drains faster, the bank account or the spirit.

But, hey, if that's what wafts some people's skirts then who am I to argue? I don't get it though. Some people want the Enterprise, some want Serenity. And we all know Kaylee has way more personality than Geordi LaForge.

I have this picture as my desktop wallpaper at the moment as it captures the "spirit" of biking for me. I will be printing it off for the garage as soon as I get a frame for it as it has inspired me to finally get off my backside and sort out my RXS. Could be any bike, any where, any time. [strike]That's Martini![/strike]

Willandkate

Re: Flat-Tracker, Street-Scrambler, Custom-Bobber. Why Retro is the future (for adventure biking).

Post by Willandkate »

Sprockette - You've got it!!
Our biggest ride - Australia to England

www.wollongongtowoolwich.co.uk
chipy

Post by chipy »

Freeloadeur wrote:Bear with me on this one.

Fourthly anyone can do it. Ok so anyone can set off round the world too but you have to admit adventure biking tends to be a rich man's game. The bikes are expensive, the farkles moreso and the Goretex lined silk knickers are massively over priced. Sure there's expensive gear to be had in the custom scene too with Belstaff, Barbour and Davida all clamouring for your cash but you can just as easily find an old CG125 on Gumtree, a tank and bits and bobs to bolt on on eBay and have fun tinkering in your backyard for practically pennies.

And the bike's got soul.

That is more or less what I did when I built this over the summer

http://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum ... mbler.html
1980 rs100, 1986 DT50 mx, 1990 fj1200, 1998 zzr600, 2003 R1150r, 2007 G650Xcountry, 2012 Honda wave 110, 2014 Beta alp 4.0, 2014 Beta alp 200, 2020 xt1200z
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

That Hammarhead Jack Pine Scrambler could be the best photo of a motorbike I've ever seen, that idea is what got me to bikes. I have a project 125 of my own and the idea of a computer guided massive bike is not what I'll ever have.

Freeloadeur are you a journalist? That was some nice writing.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
lmac

Post by lmac »

That is more or less what I did when I built this over the summer
And a nice looking bike it turned out to be.
Willy_Eckerslike

Post by Willy_Eckerslike »

Why is it that all these custom bikes still end up looking the bloody same?
A ship is safe in harbour, but that’s not what ships are for. – Grace Hopper
Willandkate

Post by Willandkate »

Willy_Eckerslike wrote:Why is it that all these custom bikes still end up looking the bloody same?
Yep, got to agree. And you can't got further or faster than a pootle down the road to the next coffee shop.
I've got some plans afoot to create something different, fun AND usable. It'll cost a few quid but I'd rather that than spend my cash on an 'off the peg' solution and watch it depreciate.....

Sprockette

Post by Sprockette »

Willy_Eckerslike wrote:Why is it that all these custom bikes still end up looking the bloody same?
I like to think of these bikes more as being "personalised" by the owners rather than "custom". Nothing wrong with seeing something you like and using it yourself. When people say custom I tend to think someone's got hold of some catalogue or other and have paid m£gabuck$ for a chrome cover for their air filter.

Customs are what a group of people have in order to have some kind of identity and sense of community, as in it being customary to eat turkey at Christmas in England. Maybe custom is the right word to describe the bikes then because you're right, Willy, they do usually share common traits. Who knows? :blink:

I'd join anyone on a ride no matter what bike they have. Bikes are fantastic, fullstop.
stormfield

Post by stormfield »

Not exactly drastically modified, but i love this:

Willandkate

Post by Willandkate »

Hey stormfield that is scarily like what I have in mind except mine would be a bit wilder. Thanks for posting it, any more pics of ones like that?

Return to “BIKES”