HONLEY 250 VENTURER

The Things We Ride
Angel

Re: HONLEY 250 VENTURER

Post by Angel »

Thanks for popping in Peter (Artic Fox). Such a shame it was a bit too high. Nice to see you anyway. Hope you get sorted with a nice low bike soon.
OB1

Post by OB1 »

artic fox wrote:Went to (Angels) F2 motorcycles today to try out the new Honley as I had seen the prototype at Earnshaws but it was to tall for me, I was really looking forward to this bike as it only has a 795 seat height but unfortunately it was still to tall due to the seat being wide, I was only just able to get tip toed on it, shame really as it's a lovely looking bike and seems very robust in build, I would say this to all you nah sayers, get along to your nearest dealer and have a look first, if I could of reached the floor on it then Angel would of had a sale there and then, not only because the bike looked that good but a lot is to be said for the dealer (Angel) he stands in very high regard on other web sites and I've dealt with him before and if he puts his faith in it, then that's good enough for me.
Peter
I'm sure you could get a couple of lowering links make up quite cheap: I've seen some adjustable links on the Triumph Tiger forum. An inch should get you flat footed for less than £50!
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
artic fox

Post by artic fox »

Thanks OB1 but we looked at that idea and it's not possible, I've done it on my GSFX though and it worked a treat, I guess I'll just have to hang upside down from my feet for a couple of weeks to stretch my legs :laugh:, I do have a pair of Daytona boots with a wedge in the heel, designed for us vertically challenged but I don't think in this case they would make much difference. I think I'll have to look into stabilisers :laugh:.
On another note the Jawa 660 sportard that David had in looked brill, but they were even taller, does anyone still have a pair of 80's platform boots I can have B) .

Peter
Angel

Post by Angel »

Peter,
The problem is the link is a big casting, very nice it is too. But this makes changing things difficult. As a one off, having a new part CNC machined from billet with a different offset would cost rather a lot of money, unless you happen to be good friends with a CNC machine shop and they would do you a favour. I have not completely given up and will explore ideas over the next few week. Obviously a shorter shock would do the trick, but again simply having a new spring made for the original doesn't help as the damper would then run out of movement before the shock reached full compression. Nothing is impossible, it's just a case of being realistic about costs. David
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

I really don't get this "too tall" bit. I'm 5ft 6 ins and have done all the 44k on my KTM 640 adventure. If you can get a toe down on one side thats all thats required--any decent offroad bike will have a lot of suspension travel and have a necessary seat height of 900 mm or so. If you want to ride this kind of bike then you have to deal with it and get on and off like a horse (and they don't usually come in short versions !). All thats required is a side stand that you can reach with your opposite foot down and then just lean the bike over on the sidestand and dismount using the footpegs.(the sidestand has to stay down of course!) Even my little CRF230 is about 895 on seat height--it goes with the territory!
CB
davsato

Post by davsato »

I think I'd rather try the WK450
Dave
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

On a relevant point all Honda CRF230s that you see "road registered" must have been done through the DVLAs "enduro exemption" which effectively means that as long as they have an MOT they don't need type approval (Honda NEVER sold a road legal version in this country because they didn't get it type approved)---The kicker is that to qualify the LOWEST point of the seat must be at least 900 mm high, and the ground clearance must be at least 310 mm. I had to really jack mine up for this to get it through--and they DID measure it. I bet a lot are registered without having been examined in this way. The reason for it is to prevent non genuine enduro bikes creeping through. This simply confirms the typical seat height of a focussed enduro bike--I guess some trail bikes are a bit lower--but if you go too low you will lose suspension travel and be crashing out on rocks and roots--it depends on what the bike is used for. The Honley at below 800 mm is already pretty low (and I have ridden one briefly)
Angel

Post by Angel »

Now here's the point. Great if you are happy and confident riding a bike that is tall. Brilliant, you have loads of choice. But if you are not happy and confident riding a bike that you can't get both feet on the ground, don't listen to all the confident happy people telling you to just get on and ride it. I ride bikes (of all types) because I enjoy them. If the enjoyment was taken away because the bike made me nervous (due to height, weight, power, handling, or anything else) what would be the point of riding it. Peter, who is looking for a low seat height should not feel he should just "deal with it", get over it and ride a tall bike. what's the point if he isn't going to enjoy it. Keep looking Peter. The thing is we are all different, some people adjust easily to things that other might find an absolute no no.
artic fox

Post by artic fox »

Thank you David, you are spot on, I could learn to shuffle half a cheek on the seat to reach the floor with one foot, I have done this when I owned an Aprilia Pegaso, and I have the broken thumb on my left hand to prove it doesn't always work, whilst riding, the seat height is irrelevant, it's stopping, especially emergency stopping when you don't have the time to shuffle and the road has a steep camber, I am of an age now where my legs aren't as strong as they were and supporting a loaded bike at such an angle will eventually lead to another fall, I should also point out that a persons height doesn't really matter I'm 5' 7" but my legs are very short just 26", so when people say, "I can ride them and I'm only such and such height",it just means you probably have long legs and short body and probably a lot younger and stronger than me and with youth comes confidence, with age comes caution and other things in life may of made a person a little over cautious, I stood over my sons body when they pronounced him dead 2 yrs ago after a low speed motorcycle crash and am just getting back into biking again, so please don't berate a person until you have walked in their shoes, I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm having a go, I'm not, and I thank you for your comments, I just really like this style of bike and I just get a little frustrated that I'm a short arse.
Peter
artic fox

Post by artic fox »

Hi just wondering, I've looked at the new ABR mag and no write up and as I have put a deposit down on one ( Honley not ABR mag) I was wondering where the write up will be, I will be very interested in your thoughts about it.
Peter

Return to “BIKES”