Would you spend £14k based on a pic on a website?

The Things We Ride
Alun

Would you spend £14k based on a pic on a website?

Post by Alun »

The new 1200cc Yamaha Tenere is on the way and the company is banking on customers forking out £14k after looking at a few pics on their website. With no demo models at dealers, I can't help thinking that with the all conquering GS and the new Multistrada in competition Yamaha and the new Tenere are going nowhere fast.

They've adopted this tactic in the past with the V Max but would you splash out that sort of cash without a couple of hours in the saddle?
Alun

Re:Would you spend £14k based on a pic on a website?

Post by Alun »

The first test ride of the new Tenere is coming through now on the MCN site. Here's the digest version
The new Yamaha XTZ1200Z Tenere is a great alternative to a BMW R1200GS or Ducati Multistrada says MCN’s Trevor Franklin.

Trevor has so far covered 260km in southern France up to and over the Pyrennees, encountering snow, twisty, gravel strewn roads and more, this is what Trevor has to say:
There's a full review in next weeks MCN
2 wheeled tourist

Post by 2 wheeled tourist »

Now the bike is out and in the showrooms, it looks great in blue, more so than the 660 Ten’. I did mention the extremely over priced tag on its big toe to the sales assistant and he stated, somewhat: It’s got all the bits you’ll ever need.

Hmm…nearly 14,000 grand, yeah, it really does sound that ott, but it does have all you ever would want, apparently. My question is this; if this bike came out 18 months ago (before the credit crunch) would the price tag be so extortionate? There seems to be a cheaper version coming out next year, without the add-ons too.

I’ve been asking for demo ride, not that I want one, but I love the 660 too much, but the local Yam’ shop has only one bike in its show room and I remember the hassle, fuss and palaver of having to wait for Yamaha UK getting the 660 into the country and equally sharing the 660 out to its shops in the UK, not a good start :angry:
Hey! I'm a tourist. And that's how I like it.
africajim

Post by africajim »

Yamaha's idea seems to be "treat em mean keep em keen", well I don't know if it's working for sales but I've past experience with Yamaha and have every faith in their product!
I love the look of both the 660 and the 1200, would love to have either but the 660's not got the grunt for two up touring, and the 1200's too expensive so I'll just have to wait see what Triumph comes up with as Honda seem to have lost the plot as far as new adventure bikes go. In the past they've been the best, the Africa twin is the daddy! The mighty Varadero is probably the best value for money two up touring bike made at present but is getting long in the tooth.
We'll see!
Honda, the power of dreams.
LargeWayRound

Post by LargeWayRound »

;)
davsato

Post by davsato »

me too, i could never justify £14k on a motorbike whatever it was, unless my circumstances radically change and i was suddenly wealthy. even then i would like to think i would still have an eye on value for money. what has it got on it that is worth so much?
a 1200GS isnt worth £3k more than my varadero, and a superten isnt worth £4k more than a GS. the difference in cost buys an awful lot of bling, can you put £4000 of bits on a GS? i certainly couldnt put £7000 of bits on my varadero (thats more than i bought it for!!) maybe solid gold billet engine cases?
Dave
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

It is asking a lot to commit that amount of dough on the strengh of a few pics and a test report from people more used to testing sports bikes (MCN).
Can't afford it anyway, i'll have a look when they've been about a few more years.

I agree, Varadero is probally best buy currently.
Contact email [email protected] or pm.

Return to “BIKES”