first motorcycle you ever rode

The Things We Ride
MikeC

Re: first motorcycle you ever road

Post by MikeC »

herman wrote:
special one wrote:
corbine wrote:can people find old pictures of theirs or even similar on the web as i cant think what lots of your bikes look like peeps? cheers? post a link with your bike even if its similar.?

Not mine but similar.
I have that pic saved in photobucket, its the mx version I had, god it was slow but It was freedom. B)
Just bought one, in very similar condition, for my lad....who is 5` 10", 14.5 stone rugby player....he`s like a monkey on a firework, but he loves it ;)

My first `go` was on a junked NSU Quickly, they used to actually give them away!
mufynman

Post by mufynman »

Batavus GO-GO ( 50cc with pedals ) . Borrowed it from next door neighbour who said " have a play on it " . We ragged it round a field for about 3 weeks until it virtually exploded , then quietly returned it and put a sheet over it . Neighbour only noticed a year later - not impressed !! Managed to inherit it about 3 yrs later , and gave it a GPZ600R spray job ( hand done ) - looked sh*te , but being 16 I thought I was the mutts nuts ha ha !
peterekins

Re: first motorcycle you ever rode

Post by peterekins »

phillips_gadabout_scooter.jpg
phillips_gadabout_scooter.jpg (33 KiB) Viewed 1310 times
fs1e.jpg
fs1e.jpg (30.67 KiB) Viewed 1310 times
A phillips gadabout, when I was 8, it was my mates Mums and she used to let us use it down a dismantled railway line, then of course at 16 the iconic Fizzy
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

corbine wrote:paulin bont
raleighrunabout.jpg
- was your raleigh runabout like this?
try this one
raleighrunaboutlarge.jpg

All I remember was it was red with lurid tartan shopping panniers. First lesson before my maiden voyage was along the lines of "twist this to go".....stopping wasn't covered in that lesson
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

I saved up my Sunday paper round money for the £60 to buy my first bike, a Puch Maxi mope all I could afford. I blame that damn heavy paper bag for my shoulder trouble now.

The posh kids in the mid 70's had Honda SS50's;Suzuki 50's Yamaha FS1E's if they were really rich , or in one obscure case, a Fantic Chopper!

untitled_2013-03-26.png
untitled_2013-03-26.png (95.34 KiB) Viewed 1310 times
images.jpg
images.jpg (10.78 KiB) Viewed 1310 times
Jelly

Post by Jelly »

DTLC 125.

It had been a 'mates' (so I thought, read on) and I bought it off him when I was 16 to ride on the fields, amazing feeling of propulsion without pedals. :woohoo:

I remember coming off and flying through the air, landing on what was probably the only flint in the field, on my right knee :pinch:

Didn't stop me getting back on and heading over to the building site behind our houses and doing some 'hill climbing' in conjunction with a few brown trouser moments. :S Great days though!

I say days as my mate came to my house about 3 days after the sale saying that the former owner had found out that he had nicked it and threatened him with the old bill :dry:

So that was that, back it went.

I then got on the road, and being a massive Weller fan, bought a Vespa PK50

Now that is what you call slow! I remember reaching 27MPH........downhill. :blush:

But I thought I was dead cool, the boy about town. B)
"The distant echo of faraway voices boarding far away trains,

To take them home to the ones that they love and who love them forever......."
special one

Post by special one »

herman wrote:
I have that pic saved in photobucket, its the mx version I had, god it was slow but It was freedom. B)
Mine felt fast at the time, 35 mph in fourth, 35mph in fifth, 35mph with a pillion in either fourth or fifth, nothing slowed it down :)

Used to wheelie that really good too, stand it right up so license plate was on the grass :)

I was looking on eBay the other night for a 'project' lol
Current bikes...

2003 KTM 950 adventure in silvery blue...

2013 KTM 450 exc-f in orange /white

2007 Scorpa SY250 trials in blue.
Elle

Post by Elle »

Bonniebird wrote:Mine was a twist and go outside Clacton Pier when I was about 8, the throttle stuck on and I stuffed it into the plastic giant policeman doing the stop sign :laugh:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Pillion on a Honda SuperDream 250
Then did an RAC training course on a few bikes that I can't remember
My 1st bike was a Honda CG125 - great bike & did quite a lot of miles on it :)
living an ordinary life in a non-ordinary way
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

9078_2013-03-26.jpg
9078_2013-03-26.jpg (116.96 KiB) Viewed 1310 times
Puch VZ50 (aka the flying banana) what a fine machine :laugh: broke my collar bone 6 months after getting it and thought I ain`t doing this anymore it hurts too much, week later I`m trying to ride it and thought I have a problem here and I still do :laugh:
Gavinskii

Post by Gavinskii »

Honda Dax ST 70 was my first taste of power on 2 wheels.

Honda-dax-st-70_e8451.jpg
Honda-dax-st-70_e8451.jpg (74.51 KiB) Viewed 1310 times

I was probably about 11 yrs old and rich mate had a big garden and his folks were fine with us creating a track around the perimeter.

Around the same sort of time 1978, I also used to ride a friends dad's Motobecane

motobecane_mobyx.jpg
motobecane_mobyx.jpg (33.84 KiB) Viewed 1310 times
The only "cool" thing about this bike was that the handlebars folded down and there is a carry handle on the frame so you could pick this up and stick it in the boot of a car!

I also remember the summers were hot back then B)
R1150GS

Montesa 4Ride

KLX 250

Suzuki Beamish

2011 Nature Rally - Bronze Award

Return to “BIKES”