Derbi Terra and Derbi Terra Adventure info.

The Things We Ride
dubber68

Re: Help Please, Derbi Terra, Dippy front suspension?

Post by dubber68 »

derbi.png
derbi.png (116.99 KiB) Viewed 1665 times
derbi1.png
derbi1.png (360.1 KiB) Viewed 1665 times
derbi2.png
derbi2.png (379.08 KiB) Viewed 1665 times
Quite like this as well as the adventure
I work to live. I live to ride. I ride to work, Ever felt like your going in circles.

Yamaha XT1200Z, Sertao, Herald 250, Xcountry & Vanvan

[IMG]http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj4 ... POINTS.jpg[/IMG
Freeloadeur

Post by Freeloadeur »

deanmoney wrote:Hey guys, any more info on this? I've also got a Terra Adventure, first bike at 37 years old. Thought I'd better try biking to see what all the fuss is about!

Used mainly for riding to the train station to get down to London for work twice a week, and obviously some leisure riding at the weekends. Done plenty of green leaning on The Viking Way (my village practically sits on it). I don't know much about biking at all - but I love this bike. I wanted something that was big so that if/when I do my full test and buy a "big" bike, it won't be too much of a shock.

Two things are missing for me -

1- Poke when I'm sat behind a car doing 55 - difficult to get past! ( that's a 125 for you I guess)
2- Panniers for both commuting weather gear and possibility of an overnight stay or two

I want to do a bit of touring on it next year in the UK and panniers would be perfect, but don't want soft jobs. So anyone has any luck in sourcing some then I'd be keen to know. I've read some of this Spanish guy's website and don't understand why Givi clearly make a solution, plus the fact that the bike at launch supposedly came with panniers - but I cannot find any anywhere

If I got some panniers then there'd be no need to trade up to a bigger bike for a while.
Poke? Yeah I know what you mean, how many miles has yours done? Mine definitely loosened up after the oil-change etc. at 3000 miles.

Panniers? The racks on Fernando's bike were specially made by Givi for him as he's now part sponsored by them, of course that means they're not available to us mere mortals and we have to go and make/modify our own. Someone is missing a trick here as there's a market for them especially as DTA owners tend to be that but older with a bit more cash to spend and often seem to keep their bikes longer than the usual learner bike.

Perhaps the solution is a hard top box for your commuting needs and soft panniers/roll bag for camping. I started off wanting hard panniers especially as I'd seen the show shots (see above), but I'm not so sure now as I think it might dent performance especially in head wind. Then again, they do look cool, and you can put stickers on them.

It's a pity there's no UK Forum/Facebook page/Owners'Club where we could work out a group buy. Should I start one?
Happiness has 125cc ...
hodgerydoo

Post by hodgerydoo »

Yeah go on, I'll join it!
gsjim

Post by gsjim »

Yep, I'll join it too.

My little Derbi Terra is sitting on a bike carrier on the back of my campervan. The Derbi is off to the Dolomites, Verona(Leonard Cohen concert), the Camargue, and finally a week by the Dordogne. The Terra is ideal as a Van bike, light but big enough to fit 2 people, and it turns heads. It should be fun if I get a chance to take it out solo in some of the twisties in the Dolomites.

I'd like a less flexible(metal) rear carrier, and perhaps a 150 or 180 upgrade kit. However mine has still done less than 1,000 miles so am looking forward to the surge of extra power you get after doing 3,000 miles! Right freeloadeur?
Freeloadeur

Post by Freeloadeur »

Oh yes a surge, huge surge, like someone's snuck in overnight and fitted a massive supercharger and twin turbos.

Sadly that same person has come in and dulled your feelings to the extent it's hardly noticeable, but it's there, it can't be just my imagination.

I see the Spanish forum is organising a Morocco Rallye-Raid next year, how's everyone's Spanish? Wee could enter a British team.

[center]Image[/center]
Happiness has 125cc ...
terra

Post by terra »

Hello. New member here. First bike is a terra. Can i join the club? While i,m here. Can i fit crash bars to a terra?
Freeloadeur

Post by Freeloadeur »

And another, pretty soon we'll be able to hold a rally, welcome.

As for crash bars, I've seen photos but they were home made/modified. The good thing about the Terra and Terra Adventure is that they're slim enough that the plastics rarely touch if you drop them (somewhere on here there's a video of me kindly demonstrating this). The bad thing of course is that no-one makes any accessories.

Anyone know how to weld?
Happiness has 125cc ...
deanmoney

Post by deanmoney »

Freeloader, I've done 2500 miles on mine. I had a bit of a moment a couple of weekends ago- took the bike up to Derbyshire for the day for some great riding around Chatsworth etc. on the way back, felt a wobble from the backend so slowed down a little, then after another mile or two in had a MAJOR wobble.

Wheel bearing in the rear had collapsed. Recovery by the RAC beckoned. Picking the bike up today after repair.

More to follow.

Where are you guys in the country, by the way?
davsato

Post by davsato »

if youre used to road bikes then offroaders do seem a bit bouncy to begin with, with soft long travel suspension. if they are not adjustable then thicker fork oil helps
Dave
hodgerydoo

Post by hodgerydoo »

Welcome Terra, we'll have enough for a round table meeting soon!!!

Return to “BIKES”