Goodbye Triumph, ,,,,,, well hello there Honda!!!

The Things We Ride
africajim

Post by africajim »

Ok, following my illustrious past with Honda I have decided to continue in that vein and have purchased the latest member to the Honda family, the Mighty Honda VFR1200X Crosstourer!
My brief fling with Triumph has ended in tears,,, mine! Loved the bike, but like a flirty woman, I couldn't handle it!

I approached my mate, local dealer, Willie Young Motorcycles, here in Elgin Morayshire, who I've bought,,, well,,, dozens of bikes from! As he took the Tiger back to Triumph in Aberdeen for me for the latest electrical fault to be repaired under warranty by Triumph, whilst carrying out other recalls (gear pedal return spring etc), I asked for a price against a new Crosstourer, or CT as their known in owners circles! I explained an offer I'd had from Strattstone Triumph, of £5250 for the Tiger which had turned my stomach, and asked what he would give me against a new bike. Willie agreed the offer was ****e and said he'd bid me a grand above that, £6250 and also a cash sum off the list price of the Honda!
This was enough to float my boat!
I'd test ridden the bike at the ABR Boil rally in Cumbria which gave me a feel for it. The bike has presence, and in white stands out stunningly, much thanks to Alun for loaning me the Crosstourer.
Mine is currently in the crate in Aberdeen (Thanks to Charlie from Honda Ecosse) and will be registered and taxed beginning of the week following the PDI.
Special thanks to Alun form ABR magazine for the loan of the test bike, Honda Ecosse Aberdeen and Willie Young motorcycles for supplying my bike (and my current VA9 Varadero) and I'll be posting up pics and reports on the bike as soon as I have a few miles on to it!
Hopefully the first Crosstourer to go to the top of the Col de Sommelier? I am hoping to take it to the Stella Alpina rally this summer but if not, the Mighty Varadero will certainly fill the spot! (It knows the way,,, been there,,, done that! ;) )

Long live Honda! The power of dreams!
Honda, the power of dreams.
Treadtrader

Re: Goodbye Triumph, ,,,,,, well hello there Honda!!!

Post by Treadtrader »

I can understand why you've chosen the honda, I've had a spin on the ABR test bike, it really is an outstanding machine.

Your gonna enjoy it Jim. :woohoo:
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
BABY V

Post by BABY V »

Well done on your new ride Jim

Sit safe and happy riding

Cheers Paul
gebrauchtwagen83

Post by gebrauchtwagen83 »

great news jim. ive gone the opposite way. chopped in my r1200gs and downsized to a beautiful 30 years f800. really chuffed, good luck woth the crosstourer. will be eagerly awaiting some pics
africajim

Post by africajim »

That was my original plan as well mate, as Fiona now has her Ickle GS I thought I didn't need an Intergalactic battlecruiser tourer! Hence the 800 Tiger.
This turned out a costly exercise for me, one I'll not forget.
But, I like my Galactic Battlecruisers,,,, so,,,,, bring on the magnificent Crosstourer! LOL!
I simply went for the "shock and awe" cure for my never-ending head ache that was the Tiger 800.

Well done with the Beemer, lovely in white too with 30yr decals, I liked SteveT's one when I had a test ride of it.

On paper, and according to owners, the CT is returning between 45 to 50 mpg so not much in it with the Tiger, just around 30bhp more! LOL! (my Tiger, 45mpg worst to 54mpg best over 7k miles). I've a lot of faith in the Hondas so hopefully this'll be no exception.
In all honesty, you wouldn't believe the weight lifted off my shoulders not having to worry about that damned Tiger any more. Bring on the Crosstourer!
Honda, the power of dreams.
cozmo1589

Post by cozmo1589 »

Nice bike, I rode the cross runner and if the cross tourer is as good as that, you will be a very happy boy indeed!!! If I was to ever chop in my Guzzi Stelvio ( highly unlikely) I'd opt for the Honda with that lovely sublime V4 engine, Mmmmmmmmmmmmm
2014 Honda VFR1200X Crosstourer DCT Highlander
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Very exciting Jim, I'll bet you can't wait.
It's such a good looking bike too and looks so capable.
Along with the bullett proof Honda'ism.

Ade
V_King

Post by V_King »

i think honda is a desperate buy, just because of the problems with triumph :evil:

there are so much more options :)

anyway, good luck with a new buy :)

this line concerns me though:

Weight: 275kg :unsure:

it almost goldwing territory :laugh:
""
AckAckFlack

Post by AckAckFlack »

Great move Jim
Hope the CT matches your Varadero love.

At least you recovered some of the pain from the Tiger financially.

The CT on paper is heavier than the vara but the Golding is 400kg so hardly the same. Anyway so long as the CT whealies then it won't matter what the weight is for Jim
BBRR - Big Bike Rough Road Riders Group

It's all about how big it is and how Rough you use it :-)

The journey aimed to challenge the perception of blindness…

Usually People call me Sir... closely followed by 'You are making a scene!'
davecopland

Post by davecopland »

Hope the C/T works out well for you Jim after the trials & tribulations with the tiger .

Return to “BIKES”