Project: Honda XRme 250

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
JimboF650

Project: Honda XRme 250

Post by JimboF650 »

[EDITED THIS POST]

Project: 'XRme'

Turn this...
ProjectXRme.jpg
ProjectXRme.jpg (185.59 KiB) Viewed 2047 times
into this...
XRme_2012-05-10.jpg
XRme_2012-05-10.jpg (35.96 KiB) Viewed 2047 times
As soon as I've picked up the bike I post more here ;)

---------------------------------------------------

Ok, I've seen a bike on ebay (top secret at the moment - in case someone else bids on it) it's in a bit of a state and has never been used on the road - it will need a lot of work to get it through a MOT.

• It's speedo is only in KPH - will this need changing? If so can I just switch to a MPH clock and wheel unit)
• Does it need a chain guard for MOT?
• No ignition/key - is on a switch and kick only - will I need to put in an ignition?
• The bike has plastic tank with screw cap - ok for MOT?
• Not sure if it has steering lock - again is this a requirement?

Just some questions I could do with answering before I bid. There's a lot of work to be done if I win it, but think it'll be worth it and have been wanting a project for a while. All will be revealed later in the week.

Thanks in advance

Jono (ABW) keep stum about what it is!
Bigtim

Re: Questions about restoring/making a off-road bike, road legal.

Post by Bigtim »

Plastic tanks used to be an issue but I don't think they are anymore, KTM's all have plastic tanks.

Chain guard will be needed.

Speedo can be in KPH, My imported XTZ750 had a KPH speedio and went through numerous MOT's some people add little stickers for MPH equivalemt or paint on them speedo to show various speeds in MPH.

Key not an issue, steering lock not an issue.

Shouldn't be too much of a problemm normally off road bikes don't have a generator to charge a battery for lights unless you are just going for a daylight only MOT.

HTH

Tim
JimboF650

Re: Questions about restoring/making a off-road bike, road legal.

Post by JimboF650 »

Thanks Bigtim - it's got a light kit fitted so at least that's done.
Rhys

Re: Questions about restoring/making an off-road bike, road legal.

Post by Rhys »

I think you only need a chain guard if there are rear foot pegs fitted.
xtzrick

Post by xtzrick »

Does the bike come with a V5 ?

If not you'll have to get it through more than an mot test.

Rick
JimboF650

Post by JimboF650 »

No - nothing!! Only VIN stamps frame & engine. Need to get it's paperwork sorted.
Pretty sure it's kosher though.

I believe I've got to get MOT sorted first, then a form to apply for V5 - then it gets checked etc etc.
If anyone what's to expand on the process for me - it would be very welcome.
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

You will need to get a certificate of newness if you don't want a Q plate, MOT it on the frame number, fill out the relevant registration form (V55), pay the fees and DVLA will issue you with a reg number, you have to tax it somewhere in this process and your all sorted.

Certain types of vehicles require a MSVA test depending on what it is...
JimboF650

Post by JimboF650 »

Just found this info on another site...

1) Call manufacturer and ask for a certificate of newness for an age related plate / or just go with a Q plate

2) Get MOT (bike will obviously need to be road worthy i.e. no oil leaks, good brakes etc etc)

3) Get insurance on the frame number (Carol Nash will do this for two weeks; you then have to give them the plate number when registered)

4) Go on www.dvla.gov.uk and get the registration form / or you can get one over the phone.
Put it down as a 'enduro bike' and you don't need to fill out all the emmssions info / power to weight etc.
(you don't need to fill out things to do with the MSVA test)

5) Go to your local DVLA with all your paperwork ( inc passport and utility bill) you pay them £?? (about £100) which includes your tax for a year. No need to take the bike.

Whilst there, book the bike in for a inspection.

6) Return on your inspection date (they measure seat height and ground clearance) and will tell you on the day of inspection its registration Number and give you a tax disc

7) Dont forget to give the registration number to your insurance company.
JimboF650

Post by JimboF650 »

Also this...

The tenth digit on the frame number is the age check digit and should be enough to prove bikes year of manufacture... TRUE????

The fact that your mx bike has never been registered for road use anywhere in the world before means as far us the dvla are concerned it can be registered as new... TRUE????
Stewie

Post by Stewie »

Before you buy, make sure you can trace the Provenance of the bike, if its had a V5c in the past it shouldn't be to hard to get a new one from the DVLA, if its an import or a full on crosser, them that's a whole different ball game.
As for the MOT, just about all you need is a bell, and if you electric is AC then get a battery one ( £10 ebay ), you don't need a speedo, and unlike the lights, it can be fitted and not work :) .
As for the lights it's all or nothing, you still get a full MOT ( most people call it a ''day time MOT'' but it's a full MOT with advisory )
A little thing that allot of people miss, is a rear reflector, and the No plate should have the name printed on, as to who made it,( legal requirement, but not sure for the MOT )
The exhaust noise is down to the examiner discretion ( so get a deaf one :laugh: )

Return to “TECHNICAL”