Powerlet F800gs

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
sluggs

Powerlet F800gs

Post by sluggs »

Hi all,

Can you assist, I would like to connect a tomtom Rider via the powerlet socket
mounted by the ignition switch, am I right as it being called a powerlet and if so any ideas on where to obtain a plug that fits ? :huh:

Thanks

Sluggs
Kendo

Re: Powerlet F800gs

Post by Kendo »

sluggs wrote:Hi all,

Can you assist, I would like to connect a tomtom Rider via the powerlet socket
mounted by the ignition switch, am I right as it being called a powerlet and if so any ideas on where to obtain a plug that fits ? :huh:

Thanks

Sluggs
If you search ebay for hella plug you will find a few
Ebay Linky

or if your anywhere near stratford i have a few you could have one of mine!
VR_Rider

Post by VR_Rider »

Have tried looking at nippy Normans? I think they probably have what your looking for!
sluggs

Post by sluggs »

Thats great guys, Hella plug, now I know what its called Ill order through Ebay, again
many thanks
suffolkgsrider

Post by suffolkgsrider »

Maplins will have them and much more
SGR
2005 BMW 1150 GSA

Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel.
Joe Bar

Post by Joe Bar »

Hold up, are you thinking of chopping the cigarette plug from the end of the cable and then wiring on the DIN / Hella plug, as it's not that simple - there's a voltage dropper built into the cigarette plug as they run at 5v to be compatible with USB charging.

If it's a hard wire unit with a seperate voltage dropper then you should be ok just dropping the DIN Plug on, otherwise you'll be wanting a charger cable with a voltage dropper bulit in. Also check the back of the sat nav unit in the cradle, some need a right angled plug for clearance.

Mini USB Charger Cable

Right Angled Mini USB Charger Cable
sluggs

Post by sluggs »

As the unit required 5V as you say, and is reduced via the cigerette plug from 12v to 5v, I purchased a charging dock that has a reducer built in,( I believe, and will check )
so the the plan was to connect the lead from the charger to the Hella plug that fits to the bike, taking in to account the bike socket is 12V ?

If that does not sound right please let me know !!

Again Thanks
VR_Rider

Post by VR_Rider »

There is also a satnav power plug in under the central tank panel, when I'm not on my iPad I will copy th link from ukgser that shows you how to get to it.

If you undo the four screws on the top, carefully lift the panel up and disconnect the socket that by the ignition once you have full access you should be able to see it, I think it by the battery.
Joe Bar

Post by Joe Bar »

sluggs wrote:As the unit required 5V as you say, and is reduced via the cigerette plug from 12v to 5v, I purchased a charging dock that has a reducer built in,( I believe, and will check )
so the the plan was to connect the lead from the charger to the Hella plug that fits to the bike, taking in to account the bike socket is 12V ?

If that does not sound right please let me know !!

Again Thanks
Yep, that sounds right, I use a Garmin myself and their charger dock has the dropper built in. But, if you have the car charger lead and the charger dock, then why not just hard wire the charger dock onto the bike as that what it's designed for, leaving your accessory plug clear to charge your phone, power your heated vest or whatever?

As VR said there is an already powered plug specifically for the sat nav on the BMW's that doesn't require the CAN Bus switching or anything silly like that.
sluggs

Post by sluggs »

Thanks guys, I'll have a look for that !

Return to “TECHNICAL”