Bike servicing.

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
kawasakier6f

Bike servicing.

Post by kawasakier6f »

Hi Guys and Girls
(Must be politically correct these days).

Just wanted some thoughts/opinions on bike servicing. Is there any advantage on having a bike serviced by a main dealer? and does having the service done by a main dealer affect the trade-in, resale vale of a bike in todays current financial climate.

I would like todo my own servicing, to save on costs obviously, or are todays modern bikes with all the eletronics out of the realms of the home mechanic?

Answers on a potcard please!
The achievement is in....every stranger that is now a friend.
tiger800xc

Re: Bike servicing.

Post by tiger800xc »

I always like the idea of using the main dealers for a service as it will help in my opinion to resell it, but that is just me.
Although saying that there would be no issues I guess with you doing a part service and letting them do the rest
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Ferris Bueller
exrm193

Post by exrm193 »

Main dealer = KeeeerChing!!!££££££££

I have a mate who is an independent dealer who does all my stuff and can still stamp the book. He is on average 50% cheaper and 100% better than a main dealer
Mark1961

Post by Mark1961 »

fabric-postcard.jpg
fabric-postcard.jpg (34.79 KiB) Viewed 2143 times
Adventure motorcycling is a challenge for those who go but only a dream for those who stay behind.

growing old is compulsory growing up is optional!
Taffcd

Post by Taffcd »

As above do my own. But do check some manufactures insist dealer service for warranty reasons.
Marra

Post by Marra »

Always done my own once out of the warranty period. As for modern electronics I'm of the view that if the bike works then fine, if it develops some electrical fault beyond my knowledge then I'll take it to someone who knows, ie, my local bike mechanic. (same goes for cars which I'll take to my local garage who I've known for years if it don't work)

I have bought many a bike over the years and not one dealer has thrust a fully stamped up service book in my face as the main selling point, nor has my lack of dealer stamps made one jot of difference to the trade in value.

I enjoy servicing my own vehicles, car included and also bikes from people I work with.
dubber68

Post by dubber68 »

For me it is wait until out of warranty then do my own unless it needs shims etc in the valves. The money saved goes along way to offestting any lost value in the bike if not exceeding it depending on time owned etc. Got fed up for being over charged. I bet they always charged me for a full bottle of oil but never gave the the leftover for topping up.
I work to live. I live to ride. I ride to work, Ever felt like your going in circles.

Yamaha XT1200Z, Sertao, Herald 250, Xcountry & Vanvan

[IMG]http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj4 ... POINTS.jpg[/IMG
Wilso122

Post by Wilso122 »

as with others find a good independent or do it yourself. I've seen bad jobs from both. my local bemer dealer used to reset the service lights for a tenner. just recently I've seen forks serviced by professionals with different oil in each leg, spark plugs never changed but charged for. the list goes on. so pay yer money take a chance but do research or come to adventure bike warehouse or me...
950SuperEnduro.com the site for SuperEnduro owners.
Barftone

Post by Barftone »

Get yourself a workshop manual and see exactly what is required for each service. If you can get a handle on changing oil and filters and brake maintenance then you are halfway there. You can always get the tappets etc done at a good independant. Build your tools up over the years. I justified a set of Davida vacuum guages (for balancing carbs/injectors) for £100 plus by knowing I had saved £300 plus on a dealer service. It is very useful to get someone with knowledge to show you the ropes if possible as sometimes manuals are not that clear or make something quite simple sound complex. I now take photos of me servicing the bike as well so I can prove it has been done. A picture of my feeler guage checking my tappets and a well stocked garage would convince me a bike had been looked after well. Be careful and work slowly. We have all heard of home cockups but heard more about dealers not touching front tappets on a Africa Twin etc coz they are a pig to get to!
kawasakier6f

Post by kawasakier6f »

Barftone wrote:Get yourself a workshop manual and see exactly what is required for each service. If you can get a handle on changing oil and filters and brake maintenance then you are halfway there. You can always get the tappets etc done at a good independant. Build your tools up over the years. I justified a set of Davida vacuum guages (for balancing carbs/injectors) for £100 plus by knowing I had saved £300 plus on a dealer service. It is very useful to get someone with knowledge to show you the ropes if possible as sometimes manuals are not that clear or make something quite simple sound complex. I now take photos of me servicing the bike as well so I can prove it has been done. A picture of my feeler guage checking my tappets and a well stocked garage would convince me a bike had been looked after well. Be careful and work slowly. We have all heard of home cockups but heard more about dealers not touching front tappets on a Africa Twin etc coz they are a pig to get to!
Thanks for the advice. I am a trained engineer so wouldn't have much problem in servicing, but was concerned about sell-on trade in values, and stamp in the log book. You have all put my fears to rest. Next purchase the trusted Haynes manual.
Cheers fella
The achievement is in....every stranger that is now a friend.

Return to “TECHNICAL”