Tyre ideas..

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
coops!!

Tyre ideas..

Post by coops!! »

If you look in 'ride reports' you will see I struggled on my first trail riding trip yesterday, mainly because of my riding but partially because of the tyres - pirelli Scorpions - Im looking for something more off-road orientated which will help me on the trails but still be ok on road? I know there is never a ideal tyre but would really appreciate some suggestions on a decent compromise...Thanks.
SimplyExploring

Re: Tyre ideas..

Post by SimplyExploring »

I had the same issue just a few years back! After reading countless threads and taking countless advice I decided on trying a set of TKC80's and I have never looked back. Yes they dont last long and yes there not cheap and yes there not that great in the wet. But I found them great in the dry and I just changed the way I ride to suite the wet weather.
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

Coops, what size is your rear?
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

tks are not a bad tyre on the road ..pretty good
the front will last for ages ..the rear on my tenere is pretty much shot for trails at 2300 miles maby 3/4ml left
if you get the s rated ones [108 mph think} in a 140 rear
they are loads cheaper than the t rated ones on the bigger bikes about 145 quid a set
if you want some really good grip on the trail
the trellaborg army specials are really very good off road but feel very strange when new on the road ..ive had them on all winter and although you have to adjust your riding ive warmed to them and have ridden all the slippy little back roads
without a problem ..
i was not too happy at first on the road but as they wore in they have proved better than i thought im comfortable with them now ..ive found running them at 20 and 22 is better on and off
thet start off looking like a hedghog 17ml knobs
the rear has 2500 up now and still drives well probably 7ml left the front is really very good
i thought id just get them for the winter ..for days like yesterday but im considering to have them permanant they have grown on me ..

good luck

tk rears are a good all rounder but dont last 2300 miles

By minkyhead at 2011-10-26

heres the army new ..it drives like feck

By minkyhead at 2011-09-29

2500 miles up and its still good on the trail they wear a lot slower as the blocks reduce

By minkyhead at 2011-12-31

By minkyhead at 2011-09-29
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
coops!!

Post by coops!! »

beddowsm wrote:Coops, what size is your rear?
It says 130/80 R17 65. Does that make sense? 17inch?

You will have to excuse my ignorance but who makes the TKC80's?
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

coops!! wrote:

Yes, 17 inch rear. TKC80 are made by continental.

On my Africa Twin I started with TKC's as they were on the bike. But soon wore the rear down so switched to K60 (Heindrau). These were good dual sport tyres and lasted 6000 miles at the rear (Paul-S had some that lasted 11,000 miles). They were OK off the tarmac. Not suited for deep mud...but what is. I eventually changed the K60 front to a TKC....so a TCK front and K60 rear was a good setup. Until Heindrau changed the tread pattern to the K60 scout. And this was terrible once worn down the the continuous centre block.

So thats probably not a great help. Id opt for TKC's front and rear and just put up with the fact its going to be dead after 2,500 miles. Depends how much road work your pegasus will do.

On the KTM Ive got a TKC front and Meffo Super Explorer on the rear. But Im due for a tyre change so need to consider what I really want. My setup isnt really for trail riding, I did it for a road trip to Italy last year and just put up with it on the trails.
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

If you like the look of the tread pattern on Minkys consider these...

http://www.zenoverland.com/tyres_tubes/ ... aster.html

Never tried them, but the price seems OK. And add a TKC front.

My Meffo Super Explorer has been a hard wearing tyre. Done between 4-5,000 miles on them and thers still plenty of life.

Basically, anyhting will be better than your scorps!
coops!!

Post by coops!! »

beddowsm wrote:
coops!! wrote:

Yes, 17 inch rear. TKC80 are made by continental.

On my Africa Twin I started with TKC's as they were on the bike. But soon wore the rear down so switched to K60 (Heindrau). These were good dual sport tyres and lasted 6000 miles at the rear (Paul-S had some that lasted 11,000 miles). They were OK off the tarmac. Not suited for deep mud...but what is. I eventually changed the K60 front to a TKC....so a TCK front and K60 rear was a good setup. Until Heindrau changed the tread pattern to the K60 scout. And this was terrible once worn down the the continuous centre block.

So thats probably not a great help. Id opt for TKC's front and rear and just put up with the fact its going to be dead after 2,500 miles. Depends how much road work your pegasus will do.

On the KTM Ive got a TKC front and Meffo Super Explorer on the rear. But Im due for a tyre change so need to consider what I really want. My setup isnt really for trail riding, I did it for a road trip to Italy last year and just put up with it on the trails.
I will still be doing quite a lot of road riding % wise but dont clock up massive mileage so something more agressive than the scorps (which I think are mega on wet roads/lanes) but still ok for weekend blast out with girlfriend on back. I doubt I will do anything more extreme than what we did yesterday in terms of mud/grip etc Im hoping next trip might be slightly easier!!!
KTMBLAG

Post by KTMBLAG »

Mitas E07 have a look
El Dudeness

Post by El Dudeness »

Check this thread out as well:

Dual Tires

Good luck.
Life is not the number of breaths we take

It's the number of moments that take our breath away....

Return to “TECHNICAL”