Oh no, another tyre thread: KTM 950

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Oh no, another tyre thread: KTM 950

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

After over 7000 miles the Mitas E07+ and E07 tyres on my 950 are approaching end-of-life.
They have performed very well in all conditions, but I was wondering about replacing them with something slightly less 'off-roady'...but not a road tyre.
Was thinking Conti TKC70 Rocks, Avon Trailrider/Trekrider etc...any ideas/experience?
Snaf MKII

Re: Oh no, another tyre thread: KTM 950

Post by Snaf MKII »

I find that all these dual sport 80/20 road/dirt tyres are dangerous once you get anywhere near scattered gravel on the small tarmac back roads that we like to use, and they're not that great in the wet. I dropped a set of https://www.heidenautires.com/product/k-73/ on my G650X and they work well when encountering Devon's gravely back roads, you can even cross the no-mans land in the centre of the road with confidence.
The 50/50 Mitas E07 is still my choice for the F650 though.
Richard Simpson Mark II

You remember the road to my place then?
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

Yep, I wouldn't ride the A30 with anything but Michelin Deserts and mousses :-)
Richard Simpson Mark II

:)
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

as i not got a clue wot i talkin about, I looked up Michelin Deserts .. and got pictures of strawbury and cream (really).
but i got some michelin pr 4 and pr5 on my NC750 and they Brill ..
so .. I am impressed with michelin and would recommend the brand, si i was wondering if anakee wild would be ok?
I saw some last weekend (on a himalyan) and they are knobblier than the pictures show, but deeper too.
just thoughts.

EDIT ... the michelin anakee adventure look more suitable perhaps?
dave h

Post by dave h »

pirelli scorpion str, great on dry roads ,rear good enough offroad ,front ok till soft sand, knobbly looking tyre,

dave.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Snaf MKII wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 8:09 pm Yep, I wouldn't ride the A30 with anything but Michelin Deserts and mousses :-)
The last 2 weeks have seen me do over 1000 miles mostly on the A30/M5, which is what got me thinking about a slightly less aggressive tyre for longer life (no complaints about the 07/07+'s performance)...but having done a bit of research most of the 'premium' European tyres I was considering seem to be more expensive, so even if they would run for say 1000 miles longer they might not be a better value purchase.

Whatever I do fit will still have to cope with my 'first and final miles'...roads that are at best dirty, and often more mud than tar. Then there's the stone track to my house...but having said that my neighbour has road tyres on his 990, although it mostly gets used on dry days only.
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

I am also having a tyre dilemma. My Suzuki runs a 190/50 17 rear tyre and I've been using Michelin Pilot Power 2CT's on the front and back but have only managed about 2,300 miles before the rear is looking like it's getting towards the end of it's life. I reckon it will need changing in 500 miles, so that's only 2,800 miles of tyre life :shock: . I'm not complaining but I'm no Valentino Rossi also, and the 2CT is a dual compound sports tyre so maybe my expectations on mileage were a bit high (or my love of warp speed moments has fubared it :oops: ).

Anyway, I might switch to Michelin Pilot Road 4's...which is more of a sport touring tyre...or maybe put one of those on the rear and keep the Pilot Power 2CT on the front as it's got plenty of life left in it...but I don't want to upset the bike by running different tyres at each end... :?

'a first world problem' as my mate says... :lol:
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

There seems to be so many new tyres available these days, so the 'wot tire' question seems to be still relevant, especially as manufacturers keep upgrading their basic product. I got no idea, these days, of what is even available?

But some things stay the same. Usually the more grippy tyre goes on the front, and the less knobbly the tyre the more it's suitable for the road. The less the sipes and tread, the softer the tyre, and more suitable for racing conditions.

A soft compound tyre won't last as long as one with a harder compound. A tyre ridden like a bat out of hell will wear quicker.

The compound on a pr4 is less durable, apparently than the later pr6, but the pr6 can last longer due to advances in research, apparently.? The pp2ct, judging by the pics, is closer to a slick than say the pr tyres. Personally I would not mix a race type tyre with a road tyre.

I got a pr5 front and a pr4 rear on my NC, and even that feels weird, but the rear is new? and not run in. Strangely, it doesn't feel as good as my old bt023 crap on the rear? I dunno. pr4 certainly got a lot more feel, but it's taller, despite having the same profile.

I'm tending to think, for road anyway, the keep same tyre type, front and rear.?

Return to “TECHNICAL”