Which Oxford hot-grips to choose ?

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
macvisual

Which Oxford hot-grips to choose ?

Post by macvisual »

Needing advice please regards fitting a pair of Oxford hot-grips to a Honda SilverWing 600cc maxi-scooter, I’m not sure which one’s to buy as there’s 4/5 different versions of their hot-grips available via their range..?

Does anyone know the handlebar grip thickness in millimetres so I can pick which Oxford grips to choose please…?

Any advice/knowledge/experience greatly appreciated…!

Peter
Scotland
"Progress is not possible without deviation".

Frank Zappa
dave h

Re: Which Oxford hot-grips to choose ?

Post by dave h »

I found bar muffs much more efficient than heated grips,

might be worth a try.

dave.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I've got some on my 950 KTM: they were fitted when I got it and may well be as old as the bike (2005).

No idea which model they are, but they do help keep your hands warm in moderately cold conditions. Best used in conjunction with hand guards to keep the wind off, as they only warm the inside of your hands.

On the coldest ride I have ever been on (Gloucester - London - Gloucester) on a January day when the temperature didn't rise above zero they were so hot the palms of my hands were burning, but my fingers were still horribly, painfully cold. And that was with the warmest gloves I have ever had: Frank Thomas Anti-Artic.

If you are really worried about the cold, heated gloves are probably the way to go.
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

I’ve always used the Advanced grips as they have multi settings & switch themselves off when you turn the bike off, measure the length of your existing grips then consult Oxfords website for which model, touring, adventure, etc is nearest length as trimming the ends is a PITA, I think you can chose which compound also, I always use Grip Puppies for my arthritic fingers.
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
Magnusson

Post by Magnusson »

Standard handlebars are 21-22 mm or 7/8" thickness. Extra beefy are 24 mm or 1".
Choose Oxford grips depending on size of your hands and go for the V8 controller, don't get the scooter ones.
See also here. https://adventurebikerider.com/forum/vi ... 24&t=51693
Champagne taste on beer budget.
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

My personal opinion on Oxford grips after having 2 sets is that they are brilliant
as heated, but shit as grips. The main reason being that the grips are too hard.
This gives rise to much more vibration to your hands and quite uncomfortable
after hours of riding.
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

there are Oxford grips on one of my bikes already fitted when bought so know little about them other than, feel a little big on diameter, short on length, not the softest, both are loose on the bars (I have read the supplied glue is not the best) they do get pretty warm and the controller appears to function well. I have small hands and they are fine with summer/MX type gloves with bulky gloves they are just about manageable the bike does have wrap around hand guards the grips may have been cut.
Sanqhar

Post by Sanqhar »

Had heated grips on bikes used commuting summer and winter. My last big bike was a FJR1300 bought new without bothering with heated grips. As said previously all they do is warm the inside of your hands, not the outside cold bit.

Another problem with heated grips is they reverse the effect of Goretex. When wet water vapour travels from warm to cold. Normally the hand will be warmer than the outside so the wet stays out. Turn on the grips and the process is reversed.

On the FJR I used leather heated gloves, toasty whatever wet or dry. I chose leather because it can be treated to give some basic waterproofing.

tom
... and today was a good day in the life of...
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

https://www.oxfordproducts.com/motorcyc ... ted_grips/

all their grips are listed .. prices, grip lengths, bar width, open end, closed end etc etc
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

many years ago i had the variable heat grips, but i couldn't change settings with gloves on, [as the flimsy controller was shite] .. had to stop and take gloves off ... hope they are improved these days.

my last set were basic cheapies .. low/high heat settings .. work really well and enough for my crf250.
If they get too hot i just turn them off for a while, or fiddle with my hands to prevent burns lol.
they not fixed to loom .. just to battery .. i remember to turn them off ... i know that is difficult for younger members to comprehend (off/on) , but i have not blown up ... yet. and can start crf first time every time lol. ..o .. and no trickle charger .. just use the bike!! .. ( unless u got engine problems like mine?? and waiting to get up courage to investigate)

yes .. they are chunky and hard .. and that inner bulky end bodge thing is very .. big,
but you can use that inner end to hide you pinky thumb from the cold cold wind.

best to use hand guards with them, .... does help , even on my road bike. I would not even consider riding a bike without heated grips .. even in summer!!

heated gloves tend to burn your outer hand, i found, many years ago.

i'm sure (not really) that i saw some slim line oxford grips... but not seen them recently?
I paid £350 for slim fit heated grips from honda, fitted .. they not so hot as the oxford .. but they do put the (high?) oxford price in perspective, and you can get a basic set for £38?.

they seem to come with massive length of wiring (and that's not the loom) and massive grip sizes, and huge elec connectors, but they are robust and durable. Some are with a loom and some are battery direct. some have closed ends, but are easy to rive out.

Return to “TECHNICAL”