2019 KTM 690 enduro

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
qcnr

2019 KTM 690 enduro

Post by qcnr »

Right I am having some trouble with my KTM, that I cannot pin down. I have noticed that it is very vibey lately, but can't pin down
if it has always been like this, or something new. Although I am leaning towards the latter as it is becoming uncomfortable to
ride, and can't remember it ever being that.
It is quite high frequency vibrations, not thumper type vibration from the single engine. I can feel them all over the bike when it is
running, and although tingling balls can be quite cosy, numb hands are less so.
Just wondering if there is anything specific I could be looking at, that could cause this, or is it strip engine type fault finding?
I did an oil change a couple of weeks ago, all filters and screens were clear, but there was some brassy fragments in the oil.
Both dealer and independent have confirmed that this is normal. :o Could this be a clue?
Scott_rider

Re: 2019 KTM 690 enduro

Post by Scott_rider »

It's a long shot...but could it be that it needs bar end weights?
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

It's not had them before. Like I said I can't remember it ever being like this before, never used to get numb hands and tingly balls, but also
can't really pin down a point where I can say, 'it got bad after...'
Maybe the rose tint on my glasses has worn off... But it is quite uncomfortable to ride now, something I have never thought before. :(
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

It's supposed to be the smoothest single ever made.

I think it's trying to tell you something

First thing I'd do would be check all the important nuts and bolts: esp engine mountings and exhaust.

If you don't find anything obvious, try to establish when it happens. If it's speed-related it could be a wheel balance or chain issue. If it's rpm-related then it's an engine issue: possibly a bearing failure, a balancer gone out of phase or even the ignition-timing.
Also listen carefully to the engine using a screwdriver as stethoscope. You might hear something that's in phase with the vibration.
Helicoptermanr22

Post by Helicoptermanr22 »

As Richard said , re torque ALL the engine mounts as what you described i would lean towards that.
Easy way to find out is to get it to the point of being vibey say 50 or 60 mph or what ever and pull the clutch in and let idle at speed.
Agent Orange

Post by Agent Orange »

Have you an after market bash guard on....I refitted mine recently, the rear was just of the rubber bushes and noisey as....even scored the bolt it was run ing against....
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

my first thought, as there are `brass` bits in the filter, is big end bearings on their way .. but i don't think shell bearings are used now? more like ball bearings or roller bearings?

as you said most filters are clean. perhaps you have put in a filter backwards? so that oil is not circulating properly, causing dryness and vibration?

(ne of the oil filters on my NC has to be put in the correct way, leading to the gears. I must check that arrg.)

or perhaps there is an oil pump failure or reduction in performance. I think the smaller ktm's suffer from this a lot?

if the vibrations are recent, look towards what you have done recently. .. oil change and oil filters.?
even check your oil level .. when warm, of course.

of course, it could be `normal` wear, say in tyres, that has happened to show now. or chain wear, or poor adjustment, or alignment, or low lube. or head bearings ... or .. or ..
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

garyboy wrote:my first thought, as there are `brass` bits in the filter, is big end bearings on their way .. but i don't think shell bearings are used now? more like ball bearings or roller bearings?

as you said most filters are clean. perhaps you have put in a filter backwards? so that oil is not circulating properly, causing dryness and vibration?

(ne of the oil filters on my NC has to be put in the correct way, leading to the gears. I must check that arrg.)

or perhaps there is an oil pump failure or reduction in performance. I think the smaller ktm's suffer from this a lot?

if the vibrations are recent, look towards what you have done recently. .. oil change and oil filters.?
even check your oil level .. when warm, of course.

of course, it could be `normal` wear, say in tyres, that has happened to show now. or chain wear, or poor adjustment, or alignment, or low lube. or head bearings ... or .. or ..
If the oil filter was fitted incorrectly (wrong way) the engine’s top end would destroy itself in short order and then the bottom end would self destruct soon after
It’s pretty straightforward as to which way the oil filter seats when replacing
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

glad to hear it ... mister honda thinks otherwise though :? :roll:
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

Bits in oil can be normal - but only metal chips/slithers from the gears. These are magnetic. Brassy bits rings alarm bells with me.
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).

Return to “TECHNICAL”