Hondas and Suzuki motors. Thoughts?

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
SteveR

Hondas and Suzuki motors. Thoughts?

Post by SteveR »

I have been meaning to post this for an age but never got around to it...

I have had several V twin Honda's over the years as well as a single XR400. All used to tell me when the engine oil needed changing, as the gearbox will start to get slighty notchy in changes. The Old A/C Suzuki's behaved in a similiar manner. I also saw it in a 400cc suzuki quad!

Drop the oil out, even if the mileage was not requiring it, and an instant transformation. My guess is it is the wet clutch that is the factor, but not sure... . Always use decent oils, and filters.

Is this behaviour seen in other bikes?
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: Hondas and Suzuki motors. Thoughts?

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Yes...and it's even true in trucks...with dry clutches.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:37 pm Yes...and it's even true in trucks...with dry clutches.
Fresh oil acting as a cushion on the teeth in the cogs?
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I have asked the reason...of both gearbox manufacturers and oil cos.

There was no single simple explanation...but one suggestion was that oil wore out. Not talking contamination, more the long and complex hydrocarbon molecules that determine the viscosity and other properties of the oil being 'sheered' into smaller molecules. Like chopping the legs off a spider. So yes, the 'cushioning' effect would be diminished, and maybe make the syncho rings more baulky.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:41 pm I have asked the reason...of both gearbox manufacturers and oil cos.

There was no single simple explanation...but one suggestion was that oil wore out. Not talking contamination, more the long and complex hydrocarbon molecules that determine the viscosity and other properties of the oil being 'sheered' into smaller molecules. Like chopping the legs off a spider. So yes, the 'cushioning' effect would be diminished, and maybe make the syncho rings more baulky.
Makes very good sense to me.

Drop the oil out of the wee Honda, and the oil at 2K miles is thin, smells "odd" and obviously is worn out, as evidenced by the improvement of a operation from a couple of litres of fresh lube...

;)

Return to “TECHNICAL”