Ceramic Coating Bike?

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
redbikejohn

Ceramic Coating Bike?

Post by redbikejohn »

So I'll be buying a new (to me) bike soon. Most likely a 700 tenere. I ride all year round and commute in all weather so the bikes take a hammering from salt and elements. Has anyone had a pro company ceramic coat their bike? Does it protect against salt? Cost?
I used afc50 on my old xt660z but after a few winters it still rotted.
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: Ceramic Coating Bike?

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

The idea being to stop the exhausts rotting?

I wonder if you could get some stainless pipes made...the only thing to watch being that all the other ferrous metals touching the exhaust would also have to be stainless.

A fender extenda or whatever they call them might also be a help.

I think the Tenere sounds like an excellent idea, it's apparently a 100,000 mile motor.
byewayrider

Post by byewayrider »

Make sure you underseal the T7 fuel tank because that will rust terribly... Unlike the plastic xt660z ones... Lots of info on yamaha possible recals for rusty under front of tanks... The spokes are same rusty shit.. And speedo etc..

My mate loves his but I still prefer my very old donkey of a xt660z... Just hit 95000miles... They truly are brilliant bikes and I've no dowt the yamaha t7 will be the same..
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

I’ve had a few different exhausts ceramic coated in an attempt to stop rusting. I’ve used different firms and different processes. They all put a nice even heat resistant coating on the pipes, looking good initially. However the primary reason I had them done was to improve rust resistance. It does improve, but doesn't stop it completely. 😏 it’s not cheap.
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

I was thinking more about the ceramic coating they airbrush onto paint on cars but I know they do whole bikes too. Its the completely clear invisible stuff. Not too worried about exhaust as i'll get a stainless decat header.
Last edited by redbikejohn on Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

Sorry, got the wrong end of the stick. 😧

Return to “TECHNICAL”