E10 Fuels

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
catcitrus

Re: E10 Fuels

Post by catcitrus »

dave h wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:13 pm E10 may be new to Backwards Britain but it is not new

Vive la France,

dave.
You have to ask yourself why France likes E10?--driving through central France (as I have done many times), and seeing the vast open fields of crops--with a large corn content, and also having a vocal and influential farming lobby--could it be for similar reasons that the US have used it for 20 odd years?--The US originally went down that road for no other reason than to reduce their dependence on imported oil, but now its really justification for growing large quantities of low grade corn.
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

Wot E said ^
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

Personally speaking French bikers fecking hate e10, and always plum for 98. I get much better fuel consumption from 98, and bmw recommended it when bike was running rough stating that in France they put a lot of additives, cleaners, in that e10 shite, so I for one are with the rest of my biking buddies and will only use e10 as a last resort.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I was in Dorset last weekend, and asked someone in the know why a certain farmer was still growing forage maize when he has had no cattle for some years.
Apparently it gets cut by a harvester burning 1000 litres of diesel/24hrs, and gets hauled by diesel tractor to a biodigester where it eventually produces methane. I'm shocked, I thought digesters were for cow slurry and crop residues, not that people were growing and harvesting entire crops for the sole purpose of decomposing them into gas. Maize is expensive to sow and grow (seed, fertiliser, pesticides etc).
How does any of this make sense?
Cornishman

Post by Cornishman »

chunky butt wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:37 pm Personally speaking French bikers fecking hate e10, and always plum for 98. I get much better fuel consumption from 98, and bmw recommended it when bike was running rough stating that in France they put a lot of additives, cleaners, in that e10 shite, so I for one are with the rest of my biking buddies and will only use e10 as a last resort.
Really? Not my experience at all.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

It's great that E10 is working well for one person at least. I'm sure it's OK for vehicles designed to run on it, providing they are in regular use. But other people's experience may differ. The historic vehicle clubs etc have lots of evidence as to the real-world harm it can cause in vehicles that were not designed to run on it. Even E5 turns fibreglass tanks to jelly.
Cornishman

Post by Cornishman »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:35 pm It's great that E10 is working well for one person at least. I'm sure it's OK for vehicles designed to run on it, providing they are in regular use. But other people's experience may differ. The historic vehicle clubs etc have lots of evidence as to the real-world harm it can cause in vehicles that were not designed to run on it. Even E5 turns fibreglass tanks to jelly.
It’s lucky that my 90 year old car has a steel fuel tank. As I have always said E10 is only a problem for the owner of certain vehicles and as it has been in use for over a decade people in Britain should have no trouble finding out if they own a vehicle that cannot be run on it. This thread has highlighted the negative effect that those people who are scared of change can have on people’s beliefs. A good example of that is the garage full of trashed two strokes so soon after E10 has been introduced. I don’t actually care as I’m quite happy with E10 and that’s based on using it daily for over a decade, I don’t have to rely on armchair internet experts for advice on the new fuel.
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

Cornishman wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:12 pm
chunky butt wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:37 pm Personally speaking French bikers fecking hate e10, and always plum for 98. I get much better fuel consumption from 98, and bmw recommended it when bike was running rough stating that in France they put a lot of additives, cleaners, in that e10 shite, so I for one are with the rest of my biking buddies and will only use e10 as a last resort.
Really? Not my experience at all.
Had to put some e10 shite in my beloved ttr on recent Pyrenees trip and it hated it, at altitude it coughed and spluttered, filled up next day with good old 98 and she ran much better. And that's very recent experience. All the gardeners I know by us never use it, reckons bungs up carbs if left a while.
Cornishman

Post by Cornishman »

Oh dear, how come my vehicles and garden equipment have been running perfectly well on the stuff for over a decade. Your subjective thoughts and hearsay mean nothing. Absolutely nothing. Putting ‘98 in an engine designed to run on 95? Lucky you having money to burn. You’ve fallen for it hook, line and sinker.
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

WTF

Return to “TECHNICAL”