E10 Fuels

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Cornishman

Re: E10 Fuels

Post by Cornishman »

Crossrutted wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:24 am
Cornishman wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:01 pm It’s new to the U.K. it’s not a new fuel, it’s a proven success for the majority of petrol engines.
An interesting assertion. Where is the proof of success? Success in what respect?
(There is a raft of evidence the both E5 and E10 fuels cause both damage and need for additional maintenance.
You did notice that I very carefully used the word majority in my post. Yes, there have been problems with some vehicles but these are rare and the U.K. has the advantage of having access to 12 years worth of data from the experience of some EU countries. My post was an observation based on my experience of using E10:for a long time in a wide variety of engines with no problems and knowing that the majority of people shared the same experience. I was just amused by the headless chickens ranting about how their vehicles were going to be ruined by the dreams of a Scandinavian teenager made me think it would be worth me sharing my personal, first hand experience. If people don’t want to hear the experiences of others and prefer to follow the word of the gutter press fine. However I wrote what I wrote, being very careful in my choice of vocabulary, as another point of view based on experience. If you cannot accept that I’m sorry. Time to move on. If the ranting fools are more your cup of tea like their posts but please don’t try to shoot down someone who has been there, done that and is prepared to share that experience. To be honest I was worried about using E10 in my outboard because of its hydrophilic nature but Honda said it was OK and the fuel spends about 9-10 months in the fuel tank on board the boat throughout the season and has NEVER caused a problem. At the end of the year I use it in either a chainsaw or lawnmower and fill the boats tank again in the Spring. Too many dinosaurs are looking for problems that do not exist.
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

Cornishman wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:11 pm
Cornishman wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:01 pm It’s new to the U.K. it’s not a new fuel, it’s a proven success for the majority of petrol engines.
An interesting assertion. Where is the proof of success? Success in what respect?
(There is a raft of evidence the both E5 and E10 fuels cause both damage and need for additional maintenance.
You did notice that I very carefully used the word majority in my post. Yes, there have been problems with some vehicles but these are rare and the U.K. has the advantage of having access to 12 years worth of data from the experience of some EU countries. My post was an observation based on my experience of using E10:for a long time in a wide variety of engines with no problems and knowing that the majority of people shared the same experience. I was just amused by the headless chickens ranting about how their vehicles were going to be ruined by the dreams of a Scandinavian teenager made me think it would be worth me sharing my personal, first hand experience. If people don’t want to hear the experiences of others and prefer to follow the word of the gutter press fine. However I wrote what I wrote, being very careful in my choice of vocabulary, as another point of view based on experience. If you cannot accept that I’m sorry. Time to move on. If the ranting fools are more your cup of tea like their posts but please don’t try to shoot down someone who has been there, done that and is prepared to share that experience. To be honest I was worried about using E10 in my outboard because of its hydrophilic nature but Honda said it was OK and the fuel spends about 9-10 months in the fuel tank on board the boat throughout the season and has NEVER caused a problem. At the end of the year I use it in either a chainsaw or lawnmower and fill the boats tank again in the Spring. Too many dinosaurs are looking for problems that do not exist.
I was going to highlight part of your posts but decided against it, but notice you seem to suffer the same comprehension issues you earlier accused others of.

I simply asked for evidence other than your "t shirt " experience... I never stated my position on this topic or opinion on other views expressed.
You obviously don't like being questioned or listening to contrary opinions others have expressed.
Cornishman

Post by Cornishman »

Crossrutted wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:08 pm
Cornishman wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:11 pm
I was going to highlight part of your posts but decided against it, but notice you seem to suffer the same comprehension issues you earlier accused others of.

I simply asked for evidence other than your "t shirt " experience... I never stated my position on this topic or opinion on other views expressed.
You obviously don't like being questioned or listening to contrary opinions others have expressed.
I don’t like having to justify things that I didn’t say.
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

OB1 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:05 pm
Cornishman wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:01 pm Just an observation… I have been using E10 fuel in my cars, bikes, lawnmowers, chainsaws and outboard since 2009 without any obvious problems. It’s new to the U.K. it’s not a new fuel, it’s a proven success for the majority of petrol engines.

Change always brings out objections. My intention for the original post was to raise awareness, not to spark a discussion about the rights and wrongs of environmentalism and the Luddite attitude of the average middle-aged white male.
This is fine.JPG
This is fine.JPG (46.85 KiB) Viewed 1546 times
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

According to NASSA, between 1880 and 2007, global temperatures increased by 0.9 degrees.

I couldn't be less worried.

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/featu ... ature2.php
OB1

Post by OB1 »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:30 pm According to NASSA, between 1880 and 2007, global temperatures increased by 0.9 degrees.

I couldn't be less worried.

Those scientists know a bit more about the effect of an increase of 1 degree in average global temperatures than you do... what you see as insignificant can be devastating for others: https://climate.nasa.gov/news/2865/a-de ... es-matter/
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

The (ever so slightly) warmer weather is increasing rainfall on the Sahel region of central Africa, and returning it to the fertility it was famed for in the Roman era (when temperatures were slightly higher than they are now).

What is devastating the global environment is the global population

We see film of dried lakes on TV...no one asks about water abstraction forced by increased population.

We see urban flash floods...no one asks about areas which were previously open land being concreted over to house an increased population...or the way that increased population is overloading drains and sewers built to serve a far smaller population in Victorian times.

We see Greek forest fires....no one mentions the deliberate policy of abandoning forest management and disbanding Greece's rural fire brigades that was imposed on Greece by international bodies.

We are told the Antarctic ice cap is melting....no one mentions it is melting in one place because three massive volcanoes have become active under the ice, and it is growing in every other place.

No one mentions the unusually heavy snow in Australia and Brazil and Spain and Texas.

No, the world is burning... Greta said so, while wearing two coats to protect her from the freezing rain in Bristol!

I've done my bit for the world: no children.

I'm doing my bit for the local environment with my hedge maintenance project.

And also I'm preserving the environment by not buying E10 petrol! Not even for the chainsaw that I use in my hedge maintenance project.
Pint Master

Post by Pint Master »

Careful Richard you'll be labeled a climate denier the Cornish Woke community will be campaigning for your cancellation and deportation to Devon.
OB1

Post by OB1 »

As I said before, I posted my original comment to raise awareness of the fact that some machines will have to change to the more expensive super unleaded E5 petrol. I didn't want to get into a mud-slinging match about who knows better about the climate and what is green... because I'll never be able to change someone's mind so why should I bother?

I learned this when I was advocating that we should remain within the EU: those that agreed with me were happy with what I wrote while those who wanted to leave believed that I was a scare-mongering "Remoaner".

If you can't see that a change of one degree can have more of an impact than making summers a little warmer, then there's no use me trying to convince you. The fact that the one degree may alter the time when an insect pupates meaning that the fish and birds that rely on them miss out by a couple of weeks and starve to death may just pass you by... whatever I say will go in one ear and out of the other if you are set in your mind that you know more than me.

I'm happy to discover more... so I Googled your claim "We are told the Antarctic ice cap is melting....no one mentions it is melting in one place because three massive volcanoes have become active under the ice, and it is growing in every other place" and found this: Fire and Ice: Why Volcanic Activity Is Not Melting the Polar Ice Sheets.

I too have no children but I will do my damnedest to leave as little impact on this Earth as I can.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

The problem is that the Artic icecap is also melting--loss of sea ice and its reflective properties means that the sea warms up even faster--more evaporation, more moisture in the atmosphere and more energy--more storms and so on. If the Gulf stream stops due to the influx of fresh water from ice melts then it will get a lot colder here in the UK commensurate with our latitude--icebergs in the channel again--and the Thames freezing over. The warning signs are all there. I certainly won't live to see any major changes, but that doesn't mean I don't care. lets get started on HS2 and its relevance today?

Return to “TECHNICAL”