Welding machine - what is it??

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
mark vb

Welding machine - what is it??

Post by mark vb »

Hi folks,
I was recently given a hardly-used welding machine by someone. I've always fancied having a go, so it looks like I might be able to.... if I had some idea wtf the machine actually is! I've done a bit of research on the various types of welding available, which is fine, but have no idea what type of welding this machine is for. The manufacturer's website is strangely silent on this model and googling it has got me nowhere.
If anyone can provide an idiot's guide to this machine (it's an Italian 'Deca Parva 145') and what it's capable of, I'd be eternally grateful 👍
Attachments
20210826_172129.jpg
20210826_172129.jpg (156.65 KiB) Viewed 1809 times
Snaf MKII

Re: Welding machine - what is it??

Post by Snaf MKII »

These things are fairly generic and are often branded by different companies with minor differences. This will be pretty much the same.
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/145tn-arc-welder/

Ideal for some simple mild steel welding, produces lots of sparks that will burn mark everything around it and give of noxious fumes.
Youtube MMA welding for how it works.
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

Appears to have been updated and given a new name, there's an instruction and spec PDF on the following link.
https://www.decaweld.com/en/home/globus ... p.20005.uw
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

It’s a standard “stick welder”
I’ve a similar one in the shed gathering dust along with a MIG set, that ones probably good enough for 1mm-1.5mm rods but the duty cycle will be crap, and unless you are using MMA regularly it’s likely to gather dust in your shed too. I haven’t used MMA in over 20 years and the last time was probably when I did my ASME IX (9) pipe welding codings
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

In the wrong hands it is a plasma cutter :lol: ;)
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

Tonibe63 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:57 pm In the wrong hands it is a plasma cutter :lol: ;)
I think I may have to enrol at night school for a beginners course in how not to risk doing that to myself!
I actually did a little bit of welding many years ago as part of my C&G M/C certificate at Merton, but cannot remember a thing about it whatsoever.
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

Geek Alert
Find a book in your local library called "The Science and Practice of Welding" by AC Davis.
Anyone who has been a welding apprentice will know this book as it explains the methodology and geeky bits about what happens when you weld materials together

Return to “TECHNICAL”