brake service

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
daveuprite

Re: brake service

Post by daveuprite »

garyboy wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:13 pm thanks for all the replies, guys ... I am still, even now split between doing it myself and getting a mechanic to do it,. Baz quoted only an hour if not much corrosion (and there always is) so very good price, but not until next week, doh ...

some great reminders from you all, things I had forgotten. Its mostly an issue of my health holding out, especially after an afternoon (or 2 ... or 3) squatting on the cold floor (on cardboard) that is holding me back. Trouble is there is no half way .. once u start its gotta be finished.
Know what Gary, just pay someone to do it for you and save your strength for wheelies and burn-outs mate. :D
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I think you may be right, Dave .. I waz feeling good and just started getting some tools together .. then the sun went down, and I thought of the grimey hands and aching back .. and thought ... Nah .. just wait a bit

Wheelies will need work though lol 😆
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

garyboy wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:13 pm thanks for all the replies, guys ... I am still, even now split between doing it myself and getting a mechanic to do it,. Baz quoted only an hour if not much corrosion (and there always is) so very good price, but not until next week, doh ...

some great reminders from you all, things I had forgotten. Its mostly an issue of my health holding out, especially after an afternoon (or 2 ... or 3) squatting on the cold floor (on cardboard) that is holding me back. Trouble is there is no half way .. once u start its gotta be finished.
Why not just remove the callipers and do the work indoors, then fit again when finished? You would need to bleed again anyway.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

hmmm ... good idea .. i always been wary of messing with brake lines, but i suppose they are screw in? ... will check it out.
I could also install a metal braided line too?

thanks for that.
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

garyboy wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:55 pm hmmm ... good idea .. i always been wary of messing with brake lines, but i suppose they are screw in? ... will check it out.
I could also install a metal braided line too?

thanks for that.
Just replace the copper washers when doing this 👍👍
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Yep, thanks Tim, forgot they were banjo bolts (memory going) but have ordered a longer braided hose (with washers) and bar risers (treating me and bike lol)
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

Billy Bananahead wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:42 am ....and if you do it yourself and going for a complete caliper overhaul don't buy cheap and nasty seals off ebay, get genuine parts.
Your life and others depends on it. Don't skimp.
+1.... I've made the mistake of fitting aftermarket piston dust seals on my Africa Twin's calipers. They allowed corrosion to quickly get back into the seal grooves, so back to square one with the binding discs. Always used the OEM seals after that, far better. Likewise with brake pads, the only non-OEM ones I bought started to crumble and they were from a well-known aftermarket manufacturer.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

as recommended, I got the cheapest, nastiest, ebay and amazon shit, lol ...

ImageDSCN5059 (2) by gary boy, on Flickr

£24.40 brake pads, wemoto, supposedly oem, [which cost 44.60 normally] from ebay. .... saving £20.
£39.00 s/s piston kit from TRK, ebay, ... look really crap, but stainless steel and should do the job, apart from the silly thick 2 copper washers.
£4.99 from comma, via amazon ... name sys it all really, but it should work as good as dear shit.
£19.95 from wezmoto (not wemoto), stainless metal brake hose +70mm.

.. to arrive... bar risers £22.39 from china lol, larger fly screen from blackpool honda £34.99, hand protectors £27.99.
.. on the `want` list .. rear hugger about £100, rad guard about £10, possible frame guard, paniers?, rear rack?
.. got but not fitted .. spot lights (only had them 3 years lol.)
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Isn't it lovely when a load of brand new bits arrive? I love it.

As far as I know, Gary, DOT4 is DOT4 the world over. The key is to use it as fresh as possible because it is very hygroscopic and keep it really well sealed ready for the next time, and somewhere as dry as possible.

You'll be doing stoppies like a stunt-meister when you've fitted that lot. I'll buy a ticket... :D
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Yep, Dave .. parts arriving are great :D
But I've had to wait in 4 days lol, for deliveries, and it's perfect biking weather for Wales .. cold and wet, lol.

DOT 4 .. exactly wot I thought, no matter the price.

Stoppies? .. I'll get back to you on that, lol :lol: :P

Return to “TECHNICAL”