Lithium more reliable than Lead?

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
catcitrus

Re: Lithium more reliable than Lead?

Post by catcitrus »

good summary--especially the ACTUAL capacity of Lithium Iron--verifies a previous comment in that you cant crank for long. Personally I buy cheap gel batteries --all are made in "battery City" in China anyway--irrespective of whats on the outside.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

Paul C wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:06 am Ryan F9 did a good battery type comparison:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pretty much aggree with what he says but one thing ive found is that if you take a phone call as you get in and leave the ignition on
...ahhem :o
it takes about 5 mins to go from 0.10 v to 12.8 volts and starting the bike is no problem ..its a mute point as unless you do summet daft its not going to discharge ..how it achievs this witchcraft i dont know .but checking the website conformed they get up to a level of practical use in minutes
i supose the reason i like them ont crfs is they are a handy 2.5ks less in weight ....the void in the battery box ive split the shelf and now contains a chain splitting kit ..which is one of them things you really can do without in the main toolkit room wise and doesnt need to be that near to hand ..
ability co carry a emergancy spare for rectifier failures jump starts in sand /mud ect and eliminte the need for a booster pack to off set the cost
the other thing was cost they arnt that much more than a yausa or whatever i paid around 70 quid which i guess is double the cheaper options but maby 20 /25 more than a branded one
id not be upset if i were using a o/e battery but when it comes to replacing them id still go lithium fo rthe reasons above
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

I'll not use them again. Two failed in xc and one one 660z. Tried the expensive ones and cheap.
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

Thanks to all for your replies, info, experience's, tips etc. I myself chose to remain conventional lead, but would not rule out going lighter under different circumstances in the future, my mate as far as I know is still on the fence. :arrow:
ibgary

Post by ibgary »

I've been riding for 30+ yrs, so I have experience with batteries and an opinion on the subject. I've found that consistent frequent riding greatly extends the life of old lead batteries. Mine generally lasted 3 to 5 yrs, with regular use (I ride about 10k per yr).
My brother with the same battery replaces his every spring. He rides about 1k per yr.
I put in a lithium (Shorai) in my 2014 bike when I bought it. I sold the bike to a friend in 2019 (5 yrs old) it's now 21 and the Shorai is still in the bike and working fine. He rides about 2-3k per yr.
My wife rides about 4-5k per yr, but let's her bike sit for days or weeks at a time. Her lead battery died last yr (3 yrs old) and was replaced with another lead battery. It died again the spring and was replaced with a lithium battery. Fingers crossed.
If you ride regularly/yr round I think there about equal with the lithium being lighter and having better cold weather characteristics, (power on let it wake a minute or two). The tender with the Shorai was designed to discharge the battery and re-calibrate it as it recharged.
Cost of Shorai about 200$ (free with bike purchase), tender about 120$. That is equal to about 5 or 6 lead acid batteries. The cost of lithium batteries has come down a lot. The one for my wife's bike was only about 100$..

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

mark vb

Post by mark vb »

Lead acid batteries have been fine for me. So far, anyway. The OEM battery on my old XJR1300 served well for the 14 yrs it was on the road. For the last 8 yrs it's been off the bike, but regularly connected to an Optimate, holding around 12.5v. It's just now starting to hold less charge , around 12.2v, which I doubt has the oomph to start it.

Return to “TECHNICAL”