Year 2000 F650GS Brake Pad Recommendation

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
fw750x

Year 2000 F650GS Brake Pad Recommendation

Post by fw750x »

Hello again Just Looking for a Recommendation from Any Owner/Riders of The F650GS Dakar , I have Not Removed the Front Pads on my Dakar just Yet . The Bike i am assuming is Still on the Original Pads ( Brembo ? ) Just over 8000 Miles . Last week i had a Braided Line Fitted and New Brake Fluid and that Has Made a Vast improvement on the Braking I suspect the Pads may be Glazed up , Would i be Correct that Once Glazed up they cannot Really be unglazed by roughing up the Pad Face with sandpaper/ Emerypaper ? Rather than Take any chances i would prefer to Change the Pads What Brake Pads Have or Do you use !! . The Front Brake is ok in Slowish Conditions But if Slowing Quickly from 65/70 mph the Brake does not fill me full of Confidence . I understand its a Single Disc and am Not Looking for R1/Fireblade Stoppies Just a Pad that works .Any info would be Great .Cheers Francis
Attachments
IMG_0361[1].JPG
IMG_0361[1].JPG (126.31 KiB) Viewed 2223 times
Dark Knight

Re: Year 2000 F650GS Brake Pad Recommendation

Post by Dark Knight »

I do not see any reason why you cannot use some sand paper/emery paper to take the glaze off the pads.
I personally change the pads when they are getting down to about 2 mm thickness, very nervous of the pad adhesive failling and the friction material coming away under heavy braking.
Billy Bananahead

Post by Billy Bananahead »

Not that i've got a F650GS, i tend to use EBC or Goldfren pads in all my bikes, XJR1200, Tiger 800XC, XS1100 and VX800.
My latest addition to the stable, VX800, has only got a single front disc and i usually ride two up and if i've got to stop quickly then a combination of both front and rear brakes and the engine braking works fine.
fw750x

Post by fw750x »

Thank you for the Info Folks , With only 8000 Miles on the Bike i would Hate to think the Pads are really Low with such low mileage. Yes i do use Front and Back Brakes and engine Braking when slowing or stopping from higher speeds . I had a Single disk Honda Transalp for 75000 Miles and got a Braided line fitted to it as the Braking was not very Good it improved it a Lot . Once again Thank you for the info i think i will give the EBC Pads a go .Cheers Francis
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

I had an f650gs which we toured Scotland on 2 up plus I used it for commuting and even offroad on the Cambrian Rally. Like all my bikes I used Goldfren when the pads needed changing, they give good braking without ripping the disc to bits.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Steve T

Post by Steve T »

Hi Francis.

Bikes looking great :D

I have to agree with Dark Knight re sanding the pad surface back to get some friction back into them is worth a try if the pads haven't been contaminated by oil.

If you do decide to change them, which ever brand of pads you choose try avoid the harder, race type compounds as they will hammer the discs.

I have used Goldfren in the past on my @'s and they were OK. I use EBC pads more than any other brand, mainly due to the local shop having a comprehensive selection of them. It's the GG compound of EBC pads that is the less aggresive compound.

Enjoy your ride,

Steve T

8-)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
fw750x

Post by fw750x »

Hello Again Steve I Hope All the Family are Keeping Well and Staying Safe. I was not sure if roughing up the Pads would work or Just wreck them. When i had my Single Disk Transalp i Broke the Front disk rocking the Bike off the Centre Stand forgetting the Disc Lock was Still attached to the disk at the Ulster Grand Prix. The third of the Disk and Disc Lock was Thrown into the Top Box along with quite a few Swear Words, I replaced the Disk and Brake Pads with Sintered Pads which Wore Down the Disk in about six Months , The original Had 74000 Miles on them over about 10 Years use . I have Just ordered Brembo Pads along with a Service Kit from Motorworks So i should have them by the weekend . Thanks again for the info Cheers Francis
fw750x

Post by fw750x »

Me again i Got my Brembo 07BBO306 Brake Pads from Motorworks , Fitted them on Saturday and went out for a 190 Mile Run Yesterday . Great Pads that work very well Two finger Braking and Loads of Feel , 100% Confidence in the Brakes Knowing i can Stop from Higher Speeds when i need to . A big Thumbs up to Motorworks for Quick Delivery .The Original Pads were down to Around Half Thickness and Looked ok Thanks again Everyone for the info . Cheers Francis

Return to “TECHNICAL”