Michelin Anakee Adventure advice needed

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Chunkychops

Michelin Anakee Adventure advice needed

Post by Chunkychops »

Morning all
I am looking to replace my Anakee 3 with the Michelin Adventures on my BMW F800GS. Most of my riding is on tarmac but I am keen on exploring greenlaning - being an absolute novice, nothing terrifying!
Has anyone got 1st hand long term experience with the Adventures?
Any advice on other tyres?
Thank you :D
Rederic

Re: Michelin Anakee Adventure advice needed

Post by Rederic »

I hated mine on a 1200GS
If your not the lead dog the view never change's
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

As long as you're not planning on any mud wallowing, I've been more than happy with Avon trail riders on my GP450 SM wheels. Excellent on tarmac & more than fine on hardpack /gravel / dry grass etc. I wouldn't recommend in anything gloopy but then I wouldn't recommend a novice taking an 800GS into it either
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Any reasonably chunky tyre will do alright in the dry.

I've had good luck with Mitas EO7 and E07+ on my KTM 950, which is of similar weight and power to your bike. They are OK on dry dirt and ride nicely on-road.

I'd avoid any tyre that has an unbroken tread band in the centre of the tyre...the idea is that if there's no tread there to wear out the tyre will last for a long time. But there's a reason why tyres have tread in the first place!

If it's really muddy then don't try to 'learn' greenlaning on anything other than a proper trail bike, and put knobbly tyres on it.. There's a nice 250 Kawasaki for sale on this forum (nothing to do with me, mind). Pirelli MT21s are a knobbly that will give reasonable road performance.
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

In my opinion you will find little difference in either normal road speed or trail performance moving to that tyre, though I have not used the adventure but have run all the other Anakee's, as said elswhere stay on dry surfaces and either will be fine. Personaly i think its a pattern just to look the part, and appeal to a fashion, from my experience the advantage of this type of tyre is on wet dirty tarmac. I have also run E07 a little more knobbly starting to get a bit usefull on the trail but still dont go into the mud with it, but you will have to start considering wet tarmac grip. Dont get to hung up about tyres, no one can tell you what fits your requirement, you will find out your own compromise answer. Better to Watch some youtube vids, learn to ride smooth, and learn your clutch and low speed control and balance. Have fun accept that you will need to progress slowly on a big bike unless your lucky. let us know how you get on. Just my thoughts, I am no expert.
Chunkychops

Post by Chunkychops »

Rederic wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:17 pm I hated mine on a 1200GS
Why is that?
Heff

Post by Heff »

I'm on my 3rd set on my GSA1200, and a great tyre in my opinion.

I have found them to be a great all rounder on tarmac and sure footed in dry or wet conditions.

There are also good for green laning and forest tracks were there is a sound surface. I believe they are an 80/20 road biased tyre, so nothing too adventurous for off road use or when traction/grip will be an issue, as can be seen here on Sunday morning past, after I was a bit too eager with the throttle and spun out into the hedgerow :oops:
IMG_20210418_143458.jpg
IMG_20210418_143458.jpg (160.96 KiB) Viewed 2655 times
ScottHeyden

Post by ScottHeyden »

E07 and E07+ On my 1190R, perfect for tours around Europe, off-road in France, Italy and the UK. Just don’t go mud plugging.
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Chunkychops wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:42 am Morning all
I am looking to replace my Anakee 3 with the Michelin Adventures on my BMW F800GS. Most of my riding is on tarmac but I am keen on exploring greenlaning - being an absolute novice, nothing terrifying!
Has anyone got 1st hand long term experience with the Adventures?
Any advice on other tyres?
Thank you :D
Probably slightly off topic but the trails round by me are so dry at the moment that this is an ideal time to practice on a gentle trail :D
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
Chunkychops

Post by Chunkychops »

Heff wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:21 pm I'm on my 3rd set on my GSA1200, and a great tyre in my opinion.

I have found them to be a great all rounder on tarmac and sure footed in dry or wet conditions.

There are also good for green laning and forest tracks were there is a sound surface. I believe they are an 80/20 road biased tyre, so nothing too adventurous for off road use or when traction/grip will be an issue, as can be seen here on Sunday morning past, after I was a bit too eager with the throttle and spun out into the hedgerow :oops:

IMG_20210418_143458.jpg
Brilliant thank you for that. That's the kind of use I am looking for

Return to “TECHNICAL”