Tubliss/Outex on a standard Honda CRF 250 Rally

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Geecee68

Tubliss/Outex on a standard Honda CRF 250 Rally

Post by Geecee68 »

Hi there,

I'm looking for non tube options for my bog standard 2017 Honda CRF250 Rally. Although I can change tyres I'm really not keen to and would prefer another option. Is Tubliss the way to go? Would Outex work with my Michelin Annake Wild and standard rims?

Would love your experience and thoughts.

Gav
minkyhead

Re: Tubliss/Outex on a standard Honda CRF 250 Rally

Post by minkyhead »

i use 3m extream tape and have had good service for last four years .... seat the tape for 24hours at 40psi and the apply stans sealant through the valve ....been very solid and reliable for me .. id recomend a pressure a tpms to keep a eye on things but ive had rock solid performance with the 3m tape ...keep pressures at 15psi one does all ..... and ive had no issues at all at that level..tape is still solid below pic is rim after 4 years use ..the edges are perfectly fine ..the sealantsmake zero differance to the tape

tyre pressure monitor set at top .....
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

High Minky--just to confirm--that rim looks like its designed for a normal tubed tyre with no extra retaining lip for a tubeless tyre?
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

I’ve had Rally Raid spoked wheels with the Tubliss conversion fitted to my CB500X for the last two years; no loss of pressure whatsoever also they come with a three year warranty. I’m 100% happy with mine.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

catcitrus wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:16 pm High Minky--just to confirm--that rim looks like its designed for a normal tubed tyre with no extra retaining lip for a tubeless tyre?
correct chris ..im a unlucky veteran of two tube failures slit valves which both binned me with zero warning and zero controled deflation # feckin hurt ...so understanding the pros and cons id rather have the self sealing properties than the tubes .... got to choose your poison ..ive punctured the tyres before changing them out ..i honestly put ten in the last one for giggles and the stans stuff sealed the lot of em .... prevention /cure chicken /egg ...im not that adverse to puttin a tube in done it many times but i find these tubless tyres prevent deflations ..and after two valve failures im content that ill get a minimun of a fair warning from this choice ..couple that with a tyre alarm its been fine on the two crfs t7 got the same and it worked just fine ..its the self sealing properties that attract me more than anything on this choice ..if i couldnt run good sealants id probably not be that bothered .

Geecee68

Post by Geecee68 »

Minky this is great. I'd seen it done to a T7 and wondered if anyone had done it to a CRF 250....well...you're the proof in the pudding. And when you put new tyres on do you put tubed ones on...or tubeless ones? Because the rims will be designed for tubed tyres, I'm guessing tubed? Thats the bit that would throw me!
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

have look on adv rider theres dozenand dozens of pages on pros cons ..tubliss /mousses taped ectect ....chris is right really the rims should have a safty bead that stops the tyre folding into the rim well on deflation
i have a spare enduro wheel fitted with a maxxis and i wouldnt use tubless on that its run low around12 and has clamp ..but for travel ive had good succsess with th elikes of mitas e09s which is a tubless tyre and at the moment motoz rally z 120/90 which is not ...some tyres like m21s have a ridged bead and are not a good idea that said i toured the balkans with a mezler unicross tubless and it was fine ..it is a bit of trial and error ...be carful ..test test check check..they should not be run on the road thats the only thing you can say ???
i few mates run similar conversions its not that uncommon but it has its risks as in catastrophick slash punctures .... my take is a tube is pretty much usless in the same situation .... tyres tend to be run with higher pressures i use 15 on the crfs and have had no issues with slip or any leaks at all zero ....thee tyres need to be kept away from the soft zone otherwise the bead can burp the air out ...thus i like to have the daily /real time pressures on tap with the pressure guage thingy as no one really checks en every day they have real time readouts and a red flash alarm/bleper mounted right in the eyline i thinkthat is highly desirable should you go there ..ive four years on these wheels two crfs and 48.000 up so its earned my trust but im still checking things properly before each ride ..as of course e should anyway but dont ?
ive tried differant things and swear by the stans sealants as that is the only one that seals the bead should it weep air its vey thin and forms alatex type seal if needed ..slime and the like are fabric based and do not work as well ,,, the stans stuff has a life of around 7/8 months which needs replacing ...its also a visual check around the spokes and bead to warn of any problem ..ive never had any ..and the front beads are a lot harder to seal than rears but that stuff does it ..i i tend to use tyres well before so it works well for me
best thing to say is if your unsure dont go there .have read over on adv rider ...make your decisions based on the collective on there ..its not rocket sciance but you need to be very carful with preperation slicght abraision of any painted rims and cyrstal clear clean ......hope that helps

Return to “TECHNICAL”