Changing rear suspension linkage on 690 Enduro R - how easy?

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
DavidS

Changing rear suspension linkage on 690 Enduro R - how easy?

Post by DavidS »

I may be swapping my ‘14 standard linkage for a ‘15 lowered linkage through a friend of Garyboy as it could be a mutually useful arrangement.
Before I delve into the horrors of You Tube (Jeff Slavens?), is just swapping the linkage a simple enough DIY job for someone with basic competence or is it a complete suspension removal, with any attendant stripping down hassles?

The shock is fine so no need to access it for spring or tension changes so I am hoping it might be the basic removal of a couple of bolts, slide it out and then fit the new one.

Doing it through a bike shop would be a pain as neither bike would be movable while the parts pass in the mail.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
daveuprite

Re: Changing rear suspension linkage on 690 Enduro R - how easy?

Post by daveuprite »

I would never claim to be any kind of expert, David, but I completely changed all the bearings in the linkage on my Beta 2 years ago. Everything in there was shagged out, so it needed heat treatment to remove pins and seized up bearings, lots of fresh marine grease, and a whole new kit.

But the removal of the linkage itself as a whole item was not the problem, so if yours has decent bearings inside I don't think you'll have difficulty - it would be a straight swap. I suspended the bike from rafters and mounted it on a stand, so I could get the linkage out just right by altering the upward and downward pressure as required.

Best of luck with it... :D
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Thanks Dave.
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
bowber

Post by bowber »

It's not too hard, the footrest plates need to come off to access the pin in the frame, and it can be a bit of a pain getting the bolts undone.
Other than that I seem to remember it's just a case of undoing the bolts and pulling it off.
Make sure the bearings are ok, I've had a repair kit on order since last year so they're not easily available at the moment.

Steve
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

I'm sure you know this, so excuse any egg-sucking grandmas, but of course it's much easier if you slacken the linkage bolts whilst you have most resistance available - i.e. on the ground - not hanging in mid air.

Oh, and soak it all in WD40 / dismantling fluid the night before for good measure - not sure if this really makes a difference but why not?

Any advice on cleaning your teeth after decades of experience happily dispensed....
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

:D
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R

Return to “TECHNICAL”