big bike self recovery offroad

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Elmer J Fudd

Re: big bike self recovery offroad

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

mechanic wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:00 am For rear recovery just ensure the rope winds the other way around the rear wheel. Clockwise and anti clockwise.
Surely it can only go in the direction the wheel spins, or am I missing something?
bill_qaz

Post by bill_qaz »

Elmer J Fudd wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:53 am
mechanic wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:00 am For rear recovery just ensure the rope winds the other way around the rear wheel. Clockwise and anti clockwise.
Surely it can only go in the direction the wheel spins, or am I missing something?
It can only go clockwise if viewed from one side which will be anti clockwise viewed from other side. I think you mean the wheel will always rotate in the forward direction. His method relies on the winching force of the rope wrapped around the hub overcoming the rear tyre grip and pulling the bike backwards.
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

Yes, but the rope goes out the front for a forward pull and out the back and is coming off the wheel the other way around the hub for a rear pull.
bill_qaz

Post by bill_qaz »

mechanic wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:41 pm Yes, but the rope goes out the front for a forward pull and out the back and is coming off the wheel the other way around the hub for a rear pull.
It can only winch in the direction of wheel rotation, going backwards the wheel is still rotating forward but winch effect overcomes forward traction and pulls bike backwards.
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

Should have added that the pull on the rope more than overcomes the tyres traction on a loose surface.
Geecee68

Post by Geecee68 »

I come off my bike all the time, so much so that I thought I'd offer a masterclass. Please sit down, relax and have a laugh at my expense. The combined axis powers mechanised division makes a special appearance just at the end.

wks

Post by wks »

bill_qaz wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:53 pm
It can only go clockwise if viewed from one side which will be anti clockwise viewed from other side. I think you mean the wheel will always rotate in the forward direction. His method relies on the winching force of the rope wrapped around the hub overcoming the rear tyre grip and pulling the bike backwards.
Does the rope still go through the shacke? in the middle of the bike making it go backwards
bill_qaz

Post by bill_qaz »

wks wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:18 pm
bill_qaz wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:53 pm
Does the rope still go through the shacke? in the middle of the bike making it go backwards
It looks staight to rear wheel in video if you watch it, personally I think a ratchet strap would of achieved the recovery much safer and more controlled. ;)
wks

Post by wks »

Had another look and stand corrected :mrgreen:
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

The orientation of the rope is important.
To pull the bike forward you tie rope around the hub with the rope coming of the bottom of the hub and forward.

To reverse the bike tie off and have the rope at top of hub going back, you need to be able spin the back wheel to get this to work either by dropping clutch or front brake on.

You don't necessarily need to tie the rope on to the hub if long enough you simply loop the rope around the hub and tie off both.ends with a lot of tension in the rope the bike should move along the length of the rope depending on the orientation as above. This of course only works if there is enough frictional drag between the rope and the hub.

Return to “TECHNICAL”