TKC 80

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
wideparting

Re: TKC 80

Post by wideparting »

Monster wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:21 pm I shall never have one on the front of any of my bikes - EVER again

French road, drizzle, roundabout with camber, luggage .... view of the sky looking up

No thanks
FOT1555(1)_LI.jpg
FOT1555(1)_LI.jpg (114.16 KiB) Viewed 1658 times

i feel exactly the same about tkc 70,never again.
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

I get the feeling there may be a slight case of the 'bad workman blaming his/her tools' in some posts in this thread 😄
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...the performance of any trail/adventure bike is pretty much defined by its tyres, and that's before we get into issues of personal preference.
I think you have to be very honest about what use you will put the bike to, and go from there.
Aggressive 'square knob' tyres are great off-road, but will have a short and uncomfortable life on-road. They won't usually be dangerous on-road providing you are aware of their limitations and ride to conditions. Sustained high-speed use can see them shedding tread lugs.
On the other hand there are tyres like the Conti Trail Attack, that offer about 99 per cent of the road performance of a dedicated road tyre, and will be no better than a road tyre on most off-road going. They are a bit more robust, so less likely to puncture on sharp gravel etc, but that's about the only off-road advantage they have over road tyres.
Then you've got the broad spectrum of 'compromise' tyres. It may say 'enduro' on the sidewall of some, but they aren't enduro tyres at all. Truth is, they are about half as good as a pure road tyre on the road, and half as good as a knobbly off it.
My latest purchase: Mita E07/E07+; fall into this category. They are actually very pleasant on the road, and perfectly usable on anything other then deep mud or wet grass off it. But what they don't have is the lateral grip of a square knob tyre so they will step out unless you are careful to keep the bike as upright and in-line as you can.
Any tyre with a solid unbroken centre band is likely to be rubbish off-road and horrible on wet roads. They are, in my opinion, a waste of time and money.
Others will have different views...
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

mark vb wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:48 pm I get the feeling there may be a slight case of the 'bad workman blaming his/her tools' in some posts in this thread 😄
i think its more a case of a workman blaming his own choice of tools ..

i have never used tkc 70's, but it is obvious from the pic, that they are really a road tyre (as Richard says) with a good grip (for rough hardtop?)

again... i have not tried the tkc80's .. but they are similar to the mitas eo9's .. and they have virtually no sideways grip .. i wish a mate (i ride mostly alone ... wen i got a trail bike, that is) had video'ed me slipping on the wbin trail before it was graded, and changed position ... i was actually riding with the front wheel above my head (sideways slipping) lol.

So ... in agreement with Richard .. i would say small square knobblies for real trails ... anything else is shite .. except for very light trails.

that is why i changed from a `1 bike, do it all` policy to a 2-bike policy ....
shame i only got one (road) motorcycle though lloll ... :roll: :lol:
mind ... its not made a lot of difference the last year .. :roll: :cry:
Monster

Post by Monster »

Of course the dilemma is using one bike to get to a trail via the road ... and then using the same bike for the trail

I now go for more off-road tyre and sacrifice longevity. This also makes me more aware that the tyres are not great for the road and to back off a bit more

Like the one perfect bike ... the perfect tyre may also be a myth (created by ourselves)

For road only on my other bike, I have found that ... but for enduro work we may never get to nirvana
If a Hammer don't fix it - you have an electrical problem
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Nothing wrong with an EO9 offroad--and good road miles(I've done big trips with them--but on a 250)--rear only that is--something proper for the front --and the fronts don't wear that quick--shame that the Army specials are getting scarce for the front--they stopped making them for the rear some time ago. I don't mind a bit of sideways slip on the rear as long as its finding grip and the front is tracking ok.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

eo9 side slippers ... see the lateral gap?

Image20171101_124852 (2) by gary boy, on Flickr

try em in welsh cambered mud :D
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

I have done--they are fine--its your front that I would worry about!
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

I do love a tyre thread......can we start a “which oil” thread next? :o

Then which chain lube......
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

When I spray my chain with
chain oil
I always seem to get
oil