CRF 250L Battery

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Honder

CRF 250L Battery

Post by Honder »

Any CRF 250L owners fitted uprated or even lithium battery and which ones?
OB1

Re: CRF 250L Battery

Post by OB1 »

Have a look on the ADVRider forum: the Yanks go crazy over trying to make everything lighter.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

ive been using lithiums for six years or so now and have found them to be very reliable ..particuarly good at storing charge over long periods ..never need a battery tender ..the weight is nice but not really a deal breaker .....
plus points is they are probably 40/50 percent stronger delivering cranking amps ..very good for high compression engine s and a cinch for a 250 ....bad news is they tend to have less amp hours roughly half of a o/e yousa ..so it youve drowned the bike and need a prolonged use they will give up a lot quicker ..that said for day to day use in normal circumstances they have been ace ....
ive had one of these in the crf for around two years and no complaints so far

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CRF-25 ... SwsB9WC~zW
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I thought the oem battery was very good.
it took a lot of abuse, in that it was worked hard in multiple gate openings, stop start, and just went on and on, never failing, never loosing charge over long periods of inactivity, it seems.

why change it for a few ounces of weight saving ... on a budget heavy general-purpose bike??
Slowboy

Post by Slowboy »

Could just cut down on the cake and beer for a bit..... :lol:
Small bike traveller

CRF250 Rally
C90
C125 Super Cub
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

garyboy wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:41 pm
why change it for a few ounces of weight saving ... on a budget heavy general-purpose bike??
well if your old ones knackered you have a choice i guess ...new tech or old tech ..to be fair the new tech is not so new now ...do you still buy radial tyres surpressors contact breaker points ? when im abroad i carry a spare battery in me pannier its tiny and weighs nowt ..maby a pound ...its been sloshing around 6 years the idea is its a booster pack and a spare all in one and its never missed a beat i can leave it two years and it still shows 13.2v ..so any way for me things have moved on .. i tend to go with newer ideas if i think they have merit

bet you watching this ona black and white screen gary :D :D :evil:
Sanqhar

Post by Sanqhar »

If you get one make sure your charger is compatible.

tom
... and today was a good day in the life of...
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

minkyhead wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:59 am
garyboy wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:41 pm
well if your old ones knackered you have a choice i guess ...new tech or old tech ..to be fair the new tech is not so new now ...do you still buy radial tyres surpressors contact breaker points ? when im abroad i carry a spare battery in me pannier its tiny and weighs nowt ..maby a pound ...its been sloshing around 6 years the idea is its a booster pack and a spare all in one and its never missed a beat i can leave it two years and it still shows 13.2v ..so any way for me things have moved on .. i tend to go with newer ideas if i think they have merit

bet you watching this ona black and white screen gary :D :D :evil:
well .. its not my fault that ABR is mostly black and white .. isit?
one of the tubes of my old cathode ray set is on the blink, so now everything is in red and green?
but i always got my old cats cradle, crystal wireless set .. yep ... wireless none the less.

I been thinking about this all day .. like you do when you become a old dinosaur luddite .. (it waz me wot smashed the first weaving loom) .. and i was getting it all mixed up with the introduction of the printing press? .. must look that up? .. and of course i remember the introduction of the digital printing thing in recent years, for newspapers .. and why i stopped reading Motorcycle News coz it was still using old soot and oil for the print.,??

Then i realised that, in fact, ... as well as being a scatter brain old twat in a nursing home for old bikers, on the hill, over the hill, and down the other side, just like the grand old duke of york .... I actually had a point ..

things really ARE interrelated and complex and not always easy to understand?
i will list stuff .. its easier ... but its not all the stuff, of course ..

* Person .... Time, Money, Health ... the 3 variables, but of course there are more ... space available, partner, area, weather etc

* Bike .. small/light, mid-size/enduro, heavy, ridiculous. ... but you know all about that, right?

* Tyres .. small square knobs (oo er), 50/50, large knobs (yay) eo9 etc, almost treded ...... these relate to the bike types above, too.

* Battery ... type, size, weight, etc ....
old carbon cells (remember the black stick in the middle?)
alkali
NiCd
NiMH
Lithium Ion
....no means exhaustive list ... just wot i know off top of head ..
then i happened to read last night about Lithium-Sulphur, seaweed as a possible catylist, diamond lazer etc,
that's besides the hydrogen cell, nuclear (in the fray these days)..
.. all ways of producing and carrying electric charge .. just so we can rip up some innocent farmers path, like you do.

so how is all this connected ??
well you all know the answer to that ... all the big bike producers spend billions on research into the relationships between these this, and a lot more..
In this case, Honda, has worked out the viability of a budget heavy framed pig-lumped road bike engine
in a old iron frame painted to look light, with 50/50 (supposedly) death tyres for `off road` use, .... and have come up with a resounding WINNER ... the crf250L ... it really works ... it is a great general purpose bike that will be around, making billions for Honda, for decades .... probably.

My point is .. that once you start `tweaking` it .. it loses its advantage .. load carrying, endurance, toughness, strength, low maintenance, general use workhorse type thing ... ????

when just around the bike aisle is a smaller (or bigger) beast, that has been designed to do the job much better than an amateur (a nice amateur) in a home bike shed .... ????

A bigger battery (heavier, old school) will hold the charge better and longer than thes new-fangled lightweight thingamybobs, me laddo (sounded appropriate to add the `me laddo` bit as i got a long beard now lol) ... and will fit better with the 50/50 tyres, heavy load-carrying frame, and low maintenance engine ...... don'cha think?

but ... hope all who do, have fun, with the tweakings in the bike sheds 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

ps ... voltage reading is not an indication of holding capacity? ... perhaps recharge every so often?
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

i think thats a no from you?
nahh put u down as a maby :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

As mentioned above, be very careful with the charger you use on Lithium batteries. If you use an old lead battery only charger on an Li battery you can ruin the battery. If you use an Li-specific charger on a lead battery you can ruin the charger. Don't ask me why I know this.

There are new chargers now that can do both types.

Return to “TECHNICAL”