CRF 250L Battery

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
catcitrus

Re: CRF 250L Battery

Post by catcitrus »

Lets take a step back here--Li Ion batts are meant to be a direct replacement for the "normal AGM " batts on a bike--so the bike charging system does not change--simply that the Li-Ion batts need a higher charging voltage and also pump out a higher voltage--but not beyond acceptable limits for all the bikes electronics and charging system etc. The only problem I know of is that if the charger isn't a decent modern one like a CTEK from Sweden(which I use and which goes through about 7 stages in the charging process including a voltage stabiliser check AFTER its charged)--the voltage required to pump some charge in may trick it into thinking that its sulphated and either it shuts down or goes into desulphate mode--neither helpful. My charger copes fine with li -Ion and all KTMs have gone that way for some time(weight and space saving)--lets hear from an electronics expert . When charging(and charged) stick a meter across the terminals to see what you are getting.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

minkyhead wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:07 am i think thats a no from you?
nahh put u down as a maby :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I don't know anything about these modden battries like,
wot i am saying is that the oem crf250L battery works well with the overall (average, heavy, budget) Honda package ... and that to change any spec of one thing would lead to the need to change the spec on a lot more things? .. whereas there are already other manufacturers that have already done that ... e.g. KTM .. where the suspension, overall weight, brakes, battery etc etc have been modified with a specific use in mind?

the main thing is that you are enjoying the workshop stuff... and its results 8-) 8-)

for someone like me .. where cost is prohibitive, as well as work area/space .. it is better to simply get (in my case) a smaller lighter bike, second hand, .... than to change the battery, then the fork springs, then the engine, then the brakes, then the indicators and tail thingy, then the tank, then the .... wotever ... and still be left with a heavyish, sluggish, non-insurable beast??

mind .. a mate of mine bought a second hand crf250L and that had a lot of stuff done to it .. and it was much better than my total oem slug?

i used to wonder if gloucester thunderroad actually sold me an old lemon from the back of the store.
... apparently there are `categories` of individual bikes ... in terms of how good that particular machine is .. a, b, c, etc ... in quality??

perhaps mine was a `z`?
jjef

Post by jjef »

daveuprite wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:47 am As mentioned above, be very careful with the charger you use on Lithium batteries. If you use an old lead battery only charger on an Li battery you can ruin the battery. If you use an Li-specific charger on a lead battery you can ruin the charger. Don't ask me why I know this.

There are new chargers now that can do both types.
. . . and another thing with Lithium batteries. Best to make sure that when you charge the battery, the temperature of the battery is above 0c. This is the case when using a charger or when just riding the bike as normal.

If it is cold and the bike is reluctant to start, then switch on the headlight. A bit counterintuitive if you are used to lead acid, but the current draw warms the battery and generally makes it deliver more oomph.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

When KTM first moved to Lithium years ago the recommended starting regime was to give the starter a quick burst to wake up the battery, wait for a little bit, and then crank. To be honest ,on a road bike or non competition trailie ,then a decent AGM is just fine--and cheap--and I bet, irrespective of the brand or labelling on the battery, is made in Battery City in China--there is such a place--so cheap isn't so bad really, or rather paying more could well be wasted dosh!

Return to “TECHNICAL”