Which puncture repair kit

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Flipflop

Re: Which puncture repair kit

Post by Flipflop »

Thanks for all the replies, I’ve done a bit of research on your choices and others.

A lot of people like the mushroom type, like stop and go, but I have read quite a few negative reviews eg doesn’t work, can’t fix big holes.
The strings get better reviews (according to my small amount of research) in that they can fix bigger and more awkward holes but they are a bit more fiddly and time consuming to use. Riders don’t seem to like using glue and sticky strings get the thumbs up here.
Dynaplug looks very interesting and the best of both worlds but at some stage they stopped their business in the UK (possibly altogether) but resurfaced. As their plugs are particular to the tool it would be a shame to buy one then not be able to get anymore strings in the future.

So, for me at the moment it’s a toss up between sticky strings and Dynaplug.
The rocky creek tool looks good but at £50 there’s much cheaper alternatives.
The Dynaplug tools vary in price but the £30 one looks about right, however good quality, standard sticky string, sets can be had for a lot less.

Thanks again and keep the opinions/advice/info coming
👍
Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 »

Flipflop wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:07 am
So, for me at the moment it’s a toss up between sticky strings and Dynaplug.
Strings are pretty cheap - that's why I keep them on the bike alongside the plugs - belt & braces....

D
gbags

Post by gbags »

I’ve never used those little gas bottles but I can vouch for carrying a tiny electric bike pump, like a Slime. Probably weighs less than a kilo and is not one-use.

I use it with basic a plug kit and have had nothing but success with them.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

I must be unlucky or someone else must has have the luck of the Irish, but had a few punctures in my time have a screw in my front tyre today, put a string in my knobbly rear about a month ago. I have used the sticky strings approx half a dozen times and they have had the desired effect every time, and they have stayed in the tyre untill the tyre is scrap. They are effective, cheap, the cheap x2 T handle tools are a bit awkward to store on the bike, although it does not take long to effect a repair it is a bit of a messy game. Note- some of the kits come with a "glue" and some dont so I generally add a bit to the string if it is available. Not used any of the alternatives, expensive but the Dynaplug looks a neater solution if it is effective. The little cylinders are small robust and can be stuffed in to nooks and crannies on the bike, remember to take them out if the bike goes on a plane ride.
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

Haha, yes, maybe I rely to much on my Irish luck :lol:

I do carry a slime pump. I had some BMW canisters under my seat for years and when I lent them to a friend they didn’t work - they were over 20 years old :shock:

Well I went for this one in the end:

Good reviews, seems like a quality bit of kit and you get a lot for the money.

Thanks for all the replies - hopefully my Irish luck will continue ;)
macvisual

Post by macvisual »

That 'Thumps Up' puncture repair kit I bought comes with it's own dedicated pouch - neat. It's not too bulky and sits under the seat of my V-Strom or the Silverwing bikes.

mac
"Progress is not possible without deviation".

Frank Zappa
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

macvisual wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:00 pm That 'Thumps Up' puncture repair kit I bought comes with it's own dedicated pouch - neat. It's not too bulky and sits under the seat of my V-Strom or the Silverwing bikes.

mac
Looks similar to the one I’ve just bought, except the faburo has a lot more pieces - I’ll probably take what I need and find a little pouch for it
Flipflop

Re: Which puncture repair kit - update

Post by Flipflop »

Well the set arrived very quickly and I must say if feels like real quality. Coupled with the amount of stuff you get in the kit it represents a real bargain to me.
1BA77A37-6AE4-49D4-924C-7F60C64A3942.jpeg
1BA77A37-6AE4-49D4-924C-7F60C64A3942.jpeg (148.32 KiB) Viewed 1567 times
I’ll post up a review if I use it - so hopefully, never :D
macvisual

Post by macvisual »

Which one did you choose in the end...?.....what kind of money was it can I ask please...? Cheers.

Hopefully you'll never need it....but best to carry it on all runs.....peace of mind...!

Regards;
Pete
"Progress is not possible without deviation".

Frank Zappa
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

macvisual wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:42 pm Which one did you choose in the end...?.....what kind of money was it can I ask please...? Cheers.

Hopefully you'll never need it....but best to carry it on all runs.....peace of mind...!

Regards;
Pete
Faburo - £22.99 off Amazon

Return to “TECHNICAL”