Non-EC or Non-cat UK exhausts and riding in the EU

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
moto.rider

Non-EC or Non-cat UK exhausts and riding in the EU

Post by moto.rider »

Hey all,

First post here. Hope you're all well.

I'm purchasing a new Arrow exhaust for my motorbike:
https://www.arrow.it/en/assembled/1460/ ... -2016-2020

Their are two options for the header section. One is with a cat and carries the homologation e-mark (71642KZ) and one is without (71642MI).

Although the non-cat part is deemed "not street legal", in the UK, the emissions are not checked as part of an MOT.
From what I've heard, it is also not common for Police to pull over motorcyclists to perform emission tests, or to check whether there is a cat or not.
I don't know of any cases in the UK where a rider has been penalised for having a non-cat motorcycle exhaust.
Even my motorcycle dealer ( a respected brand for over 40 years ) have said that the non-cat system will not be any issue.
However, it's not using it in the UK that I am worried about...

I intend to do some overland travel in the coming year or so, which will involve a ferry crossing to Europe and driving across the continent.
If I was to purchase the non-cat part, what problems am I expected to run into (if any)?

- Are the exhausts checked at border crossings? Are there regular road-side inspections by Police for emissions or checking for the existence of a cat?
- What issues and experiences have other riders had in similar regard to this?
- Are there any ways to mitigate the issue (without buying the cat part)?
- What problems could I encounter outside of Europe and beyond?

It would be very simple to respond and say "get the cat part", but as mentioned, in the UK, it is not as strict as it may possibly be in Europe.

With brexit, this may have introduced further obstacles, (or maybe removed them?) so perhaps more modern and up-to-date responses may be different to pre-Brexit experiences.

I appreciate any feedback on this and please feel free to share your own experiences.
daveuprite

Re: Non-EC or Non-cat UK exhausts and riding in the EU

Post by daveuprite »

Seriously?

Take a chill pill. If a french gendarme nicks you for having the wrong code stamped on your exhaust I'll pay the fine myself. :lol:
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

daveuprite wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:13 am Seriously?

Take a chill pill. If a french gendarme nicks you for having the wrong code stamped on your exhaust I'll pay the fine myself. :lol:
:D :D :D
I agree, lot's of more realistic things to worry about like no insurance, no breakdown cover, speeding, crashing, no vignette etc etc.
Welcome to the forum ;)
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

I thought Euro plod were now checking exhausts and their legality in the last year?

Is that not the case ?
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

johnnyboxer wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:40 am I thought Euro plod were now checking exhausts and their legality in the last year?

Is that not the case ?
I've got no idea, to be honest. But I very much doubt the french police are much interested. When I was stopped once on my TL1000S the flics asked me to rev it up a bit so they could listen to the twin ART cans bellowing! Great guys.

Maybe there's some new directive I don't know about, but for the moment the cops have a lot of far more important things to worry about.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Last year Intravelled on my bike through 9 EU countries. I was stopped once in Portugal, for what seemed like a routine document check for all vehicles. They were very pleasant and polite, they checked my documents and sent me on my way. The only border, apart from in and out of the UK, which was manned was Andorra and they just waved me through. I doubt you will have a problem unless your exhaust is excessively loud.
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

You can get stopped and have your vehicle checked. Happens in Germany and Norway.
Whether they have authority to do something about it is another question...
richeyroo

Post by richeyroo »

"Je suis vraiment désolé. Je ne comprends pas. Je ne parle pas français"

Just sit it out. I'm sure plod would get bored before you
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Depends on the markings on the system. You won't pass MoT if the system is marked 'not for road use' by the manufacturer.
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

As with any exhaust don’t fit one that’s noisy enough to draw attention to you, job done. :D
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***

Return to “TECHNICAL”