Non-EC or Non-cat UK exhausts and riding in the EU

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Oop North John

Re: Non-EC or Non-cat UK exhausts and riding in the EU

Post by Oop North John »

qcnr wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:40 am You can get stopped and have your vehicle checked. Happens in Germany and Norway.
Whether they have authority to do something about it is another question...
And there's "quiet" roads in Austria, where the sound output is of interest, not the markings on it: https://www.visordown.com/news/general/ ... rian-route
onslowe

Post by onslowe »

Get the Cat part :o Or get an E-Marked Akrapovic system which is a similar price and probably same or better quality (I have that system on my XSR700 and it sounds decent enough with the baffle in, not tried without but suspect it's not much worse).
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

https://www.carandbike.com/news/germany ... es-2235575

In my view, BMW is to blame for this...Some BMW motorcycles have long had a flap baffle in the exhaust that deploys when the engine is going through the parameters of the noise test. It's similar to VW 'gaming' diesel engine emissions.

The root of this problem has been the aftermarket being allowed to offer 'race' systems even for horrible slug bikes which would never go near a race circuit. These triggers complaints about 'loud motorcycles' which then bring about another round of restrictions, with stock exhausts being bigger, heavier and uglier.

Many of the 'race' systems are in any case too loud for racing.

Not all the OEMs are blameless. The first DR-Z 400 Es in the UK were too loud to race with the stock exhaust...shame on Suzuki who had demonstrated that they could make a quiet but not restrictive exhaust with the DR350S and its 'interference baffle'.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

richeyroo wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:20 am "Je suis vraiment désolé. Je ne comprends pas. Je ne parle pas français"

Just sit it out. I'm sure plod would get bored before you
While we can't speak French....unless we are poofs...the French can speak English. And they will take you to the nearest cashpoint so you can pay the fines.

That bit about poofs was 'ironic' before anyone complains. At my lovely school, you got called a poof if you tried to speak French in French lessons. Well it was the 1970s
:D
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

If you’re that worried about it just buy the one with the cat.
On the other hand, stick with the original headers and have more money to spend on the trip.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

The French love naked street fighters with loud cans--most aftermarket mufflers are straight through absorption with no mechanical silencing and are vastly overpriced. However, there are the odd exceptions--choose wisely--and just behave in built up areas. There has been talk of not allowing any non OE/original manufacturer part to be fitted--especially Germany--but policing it??--can't see it happening. Stick with OE as there are usually plenty out there at low prices where people have "upgraded" to Akra etc I fitted a full stainless muffler from a 2017 CB500 to my 98 CB500 for 30 quid--it was brand new---however, a little bit of stub welding/re-alignment was necessary. It was slighter louder than the original--I think because with a CAT the muffler has less silencing to do.
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

Did read somewhere that our old friends just across the water were clamping down on noisy bikes focused on urban areas as I remember, and a mention of auto noise meters, no mention of any cat controls though.
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

catcitrus wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:59 am There has been talk of not allowing any non OE/original manufacturer part to be fitted--especially Germany--but policing it??--can't see it happening.
That sounds like :roll: it'll be the TUV test / requirement which is like our MOT but much worse as they're looking for everything to be OEM, or have it's own TUV release certificate.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

this seems to be the rule for the TUV test "Marking: All aftermarket systems for the road have an approval mark (KBA** no. or EC/ECE mark). The DB eater must be fitted in the silencer!"--so aftermarket mufflers are ok if E marked.
mad-dawg

Post by mad-dawg »

Five of us got pulled into a layby in Germany in September last year.
Plod was carrying out document checks and noise tests, they checked the info on V5 documents including relating to noise levels then tested with a gadget.
Silencers were given a cursory once over, two of the clowns I was with had aftermarket noisy (to me) cans but didnt get any grief.
A guy with a Harley had his bike confiscated and put on a truck while we were waiting our turn.
No idea if the lack of a cat would cause further excitement, just worth bearing in mind if you are heading east and like to announce your presence with a noisy pipe.
Attachments
49af0c56-2a13-49d1-9322-c2f4f66ff28a.JPG
49af0c56-2a13-49d1-9322-c2f4f66ff28a.JPG (140.5 KiB) Viewed 1697 times

Return to “TECHNICAL”