BMW R1200GS LC Tyre Pressure Alarm

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
ollydog

BMW R1200GS LC Tyre Pressure Alarm

Post by ollydog »

One for you gents out there and happy new year to all who know me.

BMW R1200GS Water cooled, my red tringle is flashing on the tyre monitor display but the actual pressures on the gauges are good, 2 bar and 2.1bar

So before I started taking tyres off and replacing battery's on the sensors any ideas to reset ect

The bike has been sat for 12 months and not run, just noticed this today taking it for the MOT.

Also forgot to add but the service light is on as well

Thanks Steve
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: BMW R1200GS LC Tyre Pressure Alarm

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Oh, god...
may the lord preserve us from this kind of thing.
You will probably find it's a main dealer reset...kerrrching!
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

Perhaps the information might be in an owner's handbook;

https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/en/servi ... dbook.html

Is this article relevant?

https://bmwmccwa.asn.au/page-1319180/3872879

TTFN

Hugh.
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

What are the recommended pressures? Yours seem a little low. My one car with them starts an alarm scenario when it drops 0.1 bar below its setting
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

ive had them a little lower than that before will try taking them up a bit more than spec as it cold to see if it will reset

Steve
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

Hugh wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:23 pm Greetings,

Perhaps the information might be in an owner's handbook;

https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/en/servi ... dbook.html

Is this article relevant?

https://bmwmccwa.asn.au/page-1319180/3872879

TTFN

Hugh.
Thanks Hugh

Will be taking the wheels off if the pressures dont work and test the batteries, they are 7 years old, and its not like i am going anywhere at the moment

Cheers
anthony29040

Post by anthony29040 »

If i am not mistaken its 2.5 bar front 2.9 bar rear.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:28 pm Oh, god...
may the lord preserve us from this kind of thing.
You will probably find it's a main dealer reset...kerrrching!
This post got me thinking (something has to I suppose..).

On one hand... isn't technology wonderful that your bike can tell you when one of the most important factors in bike performance and safety (tyre pressures) is falling out of its optimal range? You find out well before the pressures fall low enough for you to personally feel the difference (an unreliable guide), and offers the chance to detect a slow puncture at the earliest opportunity. Theoretically it could save your life.

On the other hand... yet another gadget to go wrong, adds expense to the purchase price, adds more complexity and over-the-top tech to what should be a simple machine, and renders another aspect of maintenance outside of the realm of home mechanics.

I'm not quite sure where I sit on the scale between these two viewpoints. I do like simple machines that I can at least try to fix cheaply myself, but I also admire and respect technical advances. What some people label an unnecessary gadget today often becomes regarded as an essential item years later. For instance in the sixties there was heated debate over compulsory helmets, but personally I would never consider riding without a helmet now and i can hardly believe that anyone wanted to back then. Proper radial tyres replaced the awful things before and surely no-one would want to go back? Frames and suspension are designed to be appropriate to engine power delivery, rather than mismatched as on bikes like the Kawasaki Mach 2 - again we wouldn't want bikes to handle like that ever again I'm sure. It's easy for 40/50/60/70-somethings to reject everything new out of hand and to look back with misplaced nostalgia at the basic bikes of our youth, when many of those bikes were actually pretty bad.

However I know from my own recent experience of trying to master my first smart phone that I can easily fall into that category of luddite who gets bloody fed up with frustratingly complex gadgets that seem to offer me just more complexity in life without many tangible advantages that I really value. I am on the verge of smashing the damn thing up almost every day, and I'm not sure I want to own a motorbike that has a laptop computer as a dashboard - another current tech trend.
clutchspring

Post by clutchspring »

Well said Dave, I'm glad I'm not the only one when it comes to modern technology, I'm that bad the wife's banned me of her lap top. When she goes on holiday she has to leave me a list for all the tech incase we have a power cut so I can stop all the bleeping from various tech, alarms ,answer machine the list goes on.

Ian😬😟
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

clutchspring wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:28 am Well said Dave, I'm glad I'm not the only one when it comes to modern technology, I'm that bad the wife's banned me of her lap top. When she goes on holiday she has to leave me a list for all the tech in case we have a power cut so I can stop all the bleeping from various tech, alarms ,answer machine the list goes on.

Ian😬😟
I know, but there are clearly big benefits. Different torque curve maps in switchable modes on the fly. Very useful when you have a 200bhp Panigale underneath you and it rains. ABS and traction control - all help you control the mass of power now available at the rear wheel of sports bikes and even quite a few large ADVs these days.

I just personally dislike the idea of having to boot up and scroll through screens on a bike before I pull off. Not my thing. I like analogue hooligan bikes like the Aprilia Tuono, TL1000S, KTM Superduke, early R1s and ZX10Rs that had lots of power and just your seat of the pants feeling to control them. When I did short-circuit racing it was just before the modes and rider-aids came along. I first ever used a high-tech bike at Val De Vienne circuit in 2010 - a new BMW S1000RR that a mate from Jersey brought over for a track day. With all the safety stuff switched on it was almost uncrashable. You could feel the bike overriding your throttle out of corners, holding back the power, and the ABS intervening into corners. You could get rid of nearly all of the aids if you wanted, which gave you a beast of a bike, but of course all that computing power and associated potential faults are still there, along with many sensors ready to disable the bike at any time if they go wrong. I certainly wouldn't want to do a round-the-world trip through third world countries on a complex bike brimming with digital tech.

It's an interesting debate but as you can see I'm quite torn about it.

Return to “TECHNICAL”