Honda CRF250L 2019 Clutch Slipping after 750miles

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Chifwap

Honda CRF250L 2019 Clutch Slipping after 750miles

Post by Chifwap »

Hi

Anyone had the problem of clutch problems on CRF250L slipping and in need of replacement after 750 miles and within a year of ownership.

Love the bike but now know of 3 independent cases of this happening. Use... relatively easy green laning so possibly slightly more use than normal road stuff but not much.

If you have had this problem did you manage to get replacement under warranty and/or is there an upgrade so this doesn't reoccur.

Thanks

Chifwap
FAT MATT

Re: Honda CRF250L 2019 Clutch Slipping after 750miles

Post by FAT MATT »

Might sound daft but have you got handguards on and had a knock? My GS clutch used to slip after being knocked and pushing against the lever. There’s no way your clutch should be slipping after 750 miles surely.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

yep .. this is a regular thing with the crf250L .. have a look on the crf250L thread ..

from memory (o dear, that's a problem) .. replace the clutch plates and metal discs, with a set from the cb300? .. (will check later, might be cb250) .. buy stronger springs .. leave out the cupped washer/ pressure-plate thing .. replace oil too .. should get away without replacing the gasket to the outer casing, use a template to temp store the casing bolts, check working ok, ride.

ah .. here is the crf250L thread bit ..

https://adventurebikerider.com/forum/vi ... ad#p606958

the spec for the replacements are there somewhere .. don't forget to leave out the old silly large cupped spring washer

summary of specs for parts .. and very good video ..

CLUTCH ...
1. (minky) p. 35 .. stronger clutch mod

EBC:CK1313 friction plates, [and get rid of small ring and slipper ring],
plus Barnett springs 501-45-05050,
plus housing gasket? .. [if break old one].

* ..(ck1313)= http://bikes.ebcbrakeshop.co.uk/honda-c ... 290559.htm
* .. Barnett springs, 501-45-05050 £21 (inc deliv) .. = http://www.moorespeedracing.co.uk/honda ... 05050.html

note ..
`EBC bike brake shop` is NOT `EBC` itself.
the ck1313 kit does not contain the 4 steel plates required for the mod..
so ... need part number 22321kyj902 x4 @£6.17 each FFS = £24.68.
[here is a kit available that got the metal plates as well as the friction plates]
Take care when reassembling the clutch push rod things ..ball, spring, and positioning .. fiddly! ..... take a pic of the original positions ... and make sure the lever is positioned right and works properly before final tighten down.
Last edited by garyboy on Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:28 am, edited 4 times in total.
Chifwap

Post by Chifwap »

Many thanks for feed back. Much appreciated!
All best
Chifwap
ggp59

Post by ggp59 »

A friends CRF clutch did the same, so changed mine for a heavy duty kit bought from 'CRF's Only'
I think this was a more expensive route, but has worked a treat

The standard tyres, handlebars, rear light assembly, rear shock, fork springs, front sprocket, exhaust and even fuel tank soon joined the clutch in the bin, but has changed it into a really versitile bike for still comparitivly little money - still dog slow but definitely versitile :D
Chifwap

Post by Chifwap »

THanks GGP...I see that CRFs only are in the States...are you UK based and if so are you having to pay inport duty when buying from them...I guess you are but just wondered if they had an out let over here to avoid that hassle?
ggp59

Post by ggp59 »

Chifwap wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:24 am THanks GGP...I see that CRFs only are in the States...are you UK based and if so are you having to pay inport duty when buying from them...I guess you are but just wondered if they had an out let over here to avoid that hassle?
Yes, definitely UK based - lucky devil that I am :D

Did pay a bit of tax, but was busy at work and in a hurry to prep the bike for a planned trip, so did it the easy way.
But as well documented by far more CRF savvy people than me elsewhere on here, you can round the bits up and do it for less that way.
As I geared it down by one tooth on the front sprocket at the same time, do wonder it that would have saved the original clutch enough to have not needed the kit??

Return to “TECHNICAL”