viewranger subscrition ?

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Tramp

viewranger subscrition ?

Post by Tramp »

okay..ive had some very good feed back off forum members ..cheers

BUT correct me if im wrong :lol: ...you pay to download whatever maps or squares from viewranger and they are stored on the device for offline use or devices...plural ....now the big £££ question , once the maps are on the unit why would you pay for yearly subscription as you have what you need...yes if you wanted more you have to pay BUT surely you only should pay once for the map squares you need ..

thanks from a slightly confused older git :D
DavidS

Re: viewranger subscrition ?

Post by DavidS »

I waited until there was the inevitable special offer and bought the complete UK set.
Still not sure if it’s been worth it as it is mostly for casual strolling on holiday but it’s handy to have and the route tracking is interesting, if I remember to set it.

Not sure about paying for the subscription but I guess that is to get updates. I don’t know how frequently they do that though.

Good old TRF pushed it like mad then changed tack. :evil:
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Agent Orange

Post by Agent Orange »

I have view ranger, no subs, downloaded maps 3 years ago and still use them., plus they still.show my saved routes, I joined the site etc but didn't cough up ££ :)
Every now and then they give you 2 free tiles :mrgreen:
petecam

Post by petecam »

I don’t have a subscription but have paid for the regional maps where I'm interested.... so East Anglia, South West.... etc. They are much better value than buying OS squares...

They are downloaded off line for use whenever I want. I can also log in on my laptop, access said maps and plan routes from the comfort of chez Pete....

You can record routes and follow uploaded routes. You can use the GPX format so its quite compatible with many files. I use it for green lanes, mountain biking and trail running.

I have the 1:50K but I suspect if you used it for walking 1:25K would be better

It’s a yes from me…….
bowber

Post by bowber »

I don't use the subscription (other than last year for French maps) I just buy the maps tiles as I need them, you buy a number of points and each tile costs a number of points, this way you always own the tiles.
Or you can use the subscription and have the whole of the UK.

I think of it like buying a paper map but more useful, some areas (mainly my local area) I've had to buy a new map as I've worn the old one out with use, now I've owned the my tiles for a lot of years, certainly longer than the regularly used paper maps lasted, and I can pick and chose the bit's I want. The price is cheaper too, 1:50000 landranger maps are around £7 each now I think?

Steve
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

Might this offer for maps be of interest to anybody?
dash.jpg
dash.jpg (72.8 KiB) Viewed 1854 times
TTFN

Hugh.
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

I only paid for the East Anglia OS mapping which lasts for ever rather than an annual subscription for areas i am less likely to ride in. I have loaded the App onto my tablet and phone with preloaded maps so i don,t use any phone data.

Return to “TECHNICAL”