Brass Exhaust nuts, yes or no???

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
HoboBeemer

Brass Exhaust nuts, yes or no???

Post by HoboBeemer »

I am doing a downpipe swap on my CBR600, Now I have always had exhaust studs come undone on their own once the original ones have been removed almost on all my bikes and there have been plenty, even when torqued correctly.

I am looking at putting the longer coupling style nuts on such as these https://www.aimsindustrial.com.au/metri ... el-zinc-fi

I would then drill a hole and lockwire in such a manner as to not allow anyway for it to come loose.

Looking at options the issue I have is that the Honda threads are M7x1.0 thread and these are fairly hard to find in this style of nut, I see a few Piaggio and possibly Vespa places do them but all are out of stock and forums on said makes are having members drilling and retapping M6 nuts for their applications. I can however get Brass Coupler nuts in the correct size and thread but is there any issues using these on a exhaust downpipe?..

I have the options of buying either stainless or OEM replacement studs if that makes any difference?.

Any thoughts?..
ibgary

Re: Brass Exhaust nuts, yes or no???

Post by ibgary »

Brass nuts sounds good, I'd stay with stainless studs. Brass is soft so it won't strip out the stud it also is corrosion resistant. Don't know how it interacts with stainless.Brass was used a lot in the Navy because it tends to not seize up. It will turn green.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

HoboBeemer

Post by HoboBeemer »

ibgary wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:58 pm Brass nuts sounds good, I'd stay with stainless studs. Brass is soft so it won't strip out the stud it also is corrosion resistant. Don't know how it interacts with stainless.Brass was used a lot in the Navy because it tends to not seize up. It will turn green.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk
Thanks for that, I didnt think it would be a issue but was wondering why others have not mentioned it as the Brass M7 nuts are seeming instock all be it with international delivery but 10 nuts delivered coming in around £12 make it a no brainer than faffing with drilling and tapping M6's...

Regards
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

I should have thought that brass coupler nuts with additional lock wire should be just fine, perhaps add some copper slip grease too but don't over tighten.

TTFN

Hugh.
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

In theory stainless bolts/studs into aluminium is a poor choice due galvanic corrosion issues
Its a trick............get an Axe
steve the grease

Post by steve the grease »

https://www.ecas2cvparts.co.uk/flange-c ... 94f4abdecf

Not brass but plated to stop siezure, are you sure they are M7 , usually the japs avoid the odd sizes, which are not that uncommon however in Europe
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Asgard wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:19 pm In theory stainless bolts/studs into aluminium is a poor choice due galvanic corrosion issues
Is that why some manufacturers make their bolts out of cheese...?

I knew there must be a reason!

:)
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

Blessed are the Cheesemakers
bowber

Post by bowber »

Brass nuts used to be used on exhausts as they don't seize or rot away like steel.

Steve
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

Whenever I've had to replace studs/nuts I've always used copper split nuts and High tensile studs and can't remeber having any problems beyond sometimes the stud unscrewing instaed of the nut which is a bit of a faff but no biggie

Return to “TECHNICAL”