Ktm 640 safety switches bypass

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
WesleyDRZ400

Re: Ktm 640 safety switches bypass

Post by WesleyDRZ400 »

Snaf MKII wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:39 am ^^^^^^^^^^^^ Not in the UK, it might however be that the side stand has to flip up when weight is taken off of it so that you can't ride off with it still down. I think this is achievable by removing one of the springs.

Personally if it's not a competition bike I'd prefer to keep the sensors.

Agree but its an item that fails and is documented to fail, it has took awhile fault finding the issue in the comfort of my own home and time, this bike is being built not as a commute but to be used on a trip away so has been deemed as none essential item
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

I had a 640 Adventure from new and did 40k plus miles on it without getting stopped once--well,once in Romania---- I went to pull the clutch in and nothing happened--soon fixed with some mineral oil--apparently there is a thicker seal thats in the gearbox that does a better job on the clutch slave and stops it leaking into the gearbox. I think I removed the sidestand switch as they tend to fail. The other issue was that it went through tail light bulbs regularly-a sympathetic vibration--eventually cured by changing the bulb holder to one of those with sprung loaded contacts rather than bent bits of brass---oh, and had to change the inlet roller follower twice--not bad for 40k plus--cheapest bike I've ever owned to maintain--and a good resale value. I also make carbon/kevlar tank guards for it of course!!
dodursley

Post by dodursley »

My 92 Transalp that had always been a good started but suddenly needed a few second of button then only started as I released the button. Traced it to the side stand switch and set the switch to always up, it had started if the stand was up, all OK.
My 95 Harley Ultra has no switches on clutch, stand or neutral (from the factory), no problem getting it started with stand down in gear!

Return to “TECHNICAL”